Steamer Trunk With Mothball Smell

I have an old "steamer" style trunk. It belonged to my mother and even though it hasn't had moth balls in it for over 30 years it still stinks! I use it for some storage, but had not gone into it for over a year, and was just overwhelmed by the smell. I do have cedar chunks in there and have tried Fabreeze but to no avail. If I can't get rid of the smell I am going to have to get rid of it and I don't want to do that. Any suggestions?

ElectricChameleon

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

To remove any smell the best thing I have found is baking soda. Sprinkle it on and let it sit. You may have to repeat several times.

Best Answer

1. coffee grounds

2. charcoal

3. kitty litter

4. newspaper

Leave in for as long as it takes.

charcoal briquettes work really well. I used them to get the odor out of a freezer that had sat idle for 3 years and it had no smell about about a week.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try them and post how it worked in a couple of weeks!

EC

I used coffee grounds. Just pour the coffee grounds right from the can onto a large piece of saran wrap. Believe it or not it does work.

I will try this.

Old couch that smells like mothballs.
Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 21, 2004
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:49:00 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.