Hang Clothing Backward In Closet

All the hooks of my hangers start out the same way; however, when I've worn something once and it is good enough for a second wear before washing, I put it back on the hanger but the hook faces the opposite way. That way, I can tell what has already been worn once.

Another benefit to this method is to see how many of your clothes you really do wear. If some of the hangers haven't been turned maybe you really don't need that too small, too big, out-of-style blouse (or trousers, etc.) anymore.

By sooz from Bradford, ON

I gave this tip a thumbs down because if you've ever had to "grab & go" with packing such as in an emergency like a fire or tornado, having some hangers facing one way and others facing another way really slows you down a lot! A better idea is to keep all your hangers facing the same way.

If you want to be able to tell at a glance which clothes you've worn I have 2 suggestions.

1. Designate an area of the closet bar for clothes that have been worn.

2. Or you could "mark" the hanger. One method would be to take an empty toilet paper roll or other cardboard roll, cut it to about 3" length and slip it over the top of the hanger. You could also use any other item that could be slipped over the top of the hanger. Brightly colored ponty tail holders would work, and you can buy a good bunch of these at the dollar store for just $1. This way you could tell at a glance which ones have been worn, but still be able to grab your clothes in a rush if necessary.

Love it! I do the same thing.

If there's a fire or tornado, the last thing I'll be worried about is rescuing my clothes. No, I'll keep my closet organized by hanging what I'm wearing one way and those that don't seem to get worn, the other.

March 14, 2011 Flag

When your closet is bursting at the seams and you just have to get rid of something but just can't decide what to part with, take all of your hanging clothes and hang them backwards, with the hook part facing you. Pick an amount of time, like a month, a season or a year, and the clothes that are still facing backwards, donate! You won't feel so bad because you know you haven't worn them.

By J. Smith from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Hang Clothes Backward

Hi, Great idea! Thank you (06/04/2007)

By Sherri

Hang Clothes Backward

This came at exactly the right time for me, I had that very thought today. I won't buy new hangers, rather send along to thrift shops (where many came from) whatever isn't in the loop any more. Thanks! (06/04/2007)

By Kim Ch

Hang Clothes Backward

Love it, love it, love it. Now if I could just get my husband (the pack rat) to do that! (06/04/2007)

By bjptl

Hang Clothes Backward

Oh! My mother would drop her teeth if she heard our planning to do that. She always said, "Never hang your clothes backwards in case of fire or tornado warning, you cannot get them out because of the hindrance the clothes hangers cause." Yet, the chances weren't too great until we had two fires in our home over the 35 years. So, I'd add to the idea by suggesting that we just ' head 'um on up and move 'um on out. Now, to get me to begin doing that is another question since I'm so compulsive ! Also, I've lost 15 lbs and 15 inches, so I may need those I don't wear because they're a dress size smaller. God bless you. : ) (06/05/2007)

By Lynda

Hang Clothes Backward

An excellent idea, and one I intend to practice as soon as I have the time to move everything around! God bless you! (06/05/2007)

By tedsmom

Hang Clothes Backward

I've been doing that also. At the end of a season, I can easily see what I haven't worn and then give it to a friend or to Good Will. (09/28/2008)

By walter88

Organized Closet
Organizing Your Bedroom Closet
Organizing ClothingMarch 14, 2011
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
mirrored closets
Affixing Fabric to Mirrored Closet Doors
organizing a hall closet
Organizing Your Hall Closet
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons
🎄