Converting a Closet into a Private Nook

An unused closet is the perfect space for creating a private nook for crafting, reading, or play. This is a guide about converting a closet into a private nook.

I have a storage unit which was half full but still costs me the same each month. Then, I have a small apt. full of supplies I don't need till I need them, cluttering up my life.

I promised myself I would write more this year and so far, only one thing has made it to paper. The TV, kitchen, and computer are all distractions. So...

With a gimped up hand and way more time than I wanted it to take, I took all the supplies to storage and once again put my home in a state of upheaval, but it was so worth it!

I don't have any "steps or stages" photos, so this might end up a just a share. But it proves that you can do what I did with even a small space. I call it my reading, writing, thinking, and hiding room.

Total Time: 2 Days

• 1 comfy chair ($ )
  • 4 crates or shelving low to the ground ($ )
  • 1 writing supply table ($ )
  • 2 knick knack shelves ($ )
  • photos, collections, and calendar

1. Clear out the entire room. This gives you a sense that the room is new and all your own.
  2. Fill the walls first, to avoid having to bend over chair and table.
  3. Move in the crates and fill the books. Add your collection on top or inside if you are a lover of something else.
  4. Move in the chair to help you choose the best table for your supplies. If you are an artist, an easel/canvas and brushes, crafter with what you need to create.
  5. Ad

6. Decorate to please your own tastes. I am a lover of all things Alaskan and that means moose and bears. I also love teddies and tins so sometimes I can incorporate my collections with two things at once...like tins with teddies or bears or moose, plates and wall hangings and more.
  7. Create the space you love that is all your own.
  8. Ad

9. Now, as you can see by the main photo, I made this all in a closet just 4.5' by 6'.
  10. I hope this inspires someone to find a place you can close off the world and just be.

Anonymous

Good idea!

I have been a member of ThriftyFun for many, many years. I have never really commented. I love your posts Sandy. I find all your decorating ideas so inspirational. Every time I get my Thrifty Fun newsletters in and see a new post with your name it's like getting in a new magazine in the mail. I really look forward to it. I love your cozy hideaway.

Wow, wish I had a 4 1/2' x 6' closet! Lots of possibilities

Well isn't that the sweetest thing to say. Thanks. Next is my balcony just as soon as it stops raining!! Sandi