Organizing Your Linen Closet

Category Linens
Many of us struggle with developing an effective way to organize our linen closet. Do we keep the sheet sets together or sort sheets, pillowcases, etc. And then there are the towels and blankets. This is a guide about organizing a linen closet.

This tip will save you looking for a matching bottom and top sheet with matching pillowcases. Put folded sheets and one of the pillowcases inside the other pillowcase.

I haven't stored my sheets in my linen closet for years! Every bed has 2 sets of sheets. I fold the sheets as most everyone else seems to do, and fold the pillowcase around it (or you can slip the sheets into the pillowcase). Then I put the extra set between the mattresses of the bed it is for. I either slip them in at the foot of the bed, or the side - whichever is more convenient.

When we had babies in cribs, I folded the crib sheets, put them in a plastic bag, and slipped it between the mattress and springs. This way the sheets are handy and easy to get to when I want to change them, and it frees a tremendous amount of space in my linen closet for other things. This was really helpful when there were 6 of us in the house!

By Judy = Oklahoma from Oklahoma

I fold the top and bottom sheets in rectangles. Then I wrap them with the folded pillow cases, and a scented dryer sheet between the sheets. I put the complete bundle into a transparent recycled bag. When it is time to change the bedding, your complete set for each size of bed is altogether and smelling fresh.

By Faye Dutkiewicz from The Pas, Manitoba, Canada

After washing and drying your sheets, fold them and the pillowcases neatly and put them in one of the pillowcases and store them in the linen closet. When you are ready to get a fresh pair of sheets, they are all together and organized and you don't have to look for matching pieces.

You can also add a fabric softener sheet so that they smell nice and fresh!

I "try" to keep my linen closet organized using a few tricks. I don't fold my sheets and pillowcases together in sets because I intermingle the top/bottom sheets and pillow cases.

Keep Bedding Sets Together. When I fold the sheets from the dryer, I always fold the fitted sheet and then I fold the pillowcases together and put both inside the fold of the top sheet.

To prevent creases when hanging linens from wire hangers, take a cardboard tube from a used up roll of paper towels and cut lengthwise. Then slip it over the wire hanger and apply tape where you cut the tube.

I place all of sheets together in one of the pillowcases, so the set is together and easy to grab. I store the clean sheets in the closet of the room they are going to be used in.

When bed linens are washed and dried, they are folded as flat sheet, fitted sheet, and pillowcases in layers together. They go in a drawer in whichever room those sheets are used.

I organize my sheet sets by folding the sheets and placing them in the matching pillowcase. I also organize my sheet sets by having a shelf for each size; such as the queen size on one shelf, and the twins on another, etc.

I make my linen area look really neat by taking sheet sets and pillowcases and tying them together with inexpensive colorful ribbon. I'm sure this would work with towel sets as well.

I try not to ever fold sheets by washing and drying them and then putting them right back on the bed. Note, that this caused a problem in my first marriage because my husband thought I never changed the sheets.

To keep table linens from creasing, install a rod just beneath a low shelf and hang the linens on hangers padded with paper towel tubes. Fold and store bed or bath linens by sets, not by size.

This tip is helpful for folding your pillow cases. I always take both my pillow cases (seam sides together) and fold BOTH together as you would fold one pillow case.

I like to keep sets together or sheets that I created sets out of by folding them, along with one pillowcase, and putting the entire set into the other pillowcase. This way, you have a neat sheet section in your closet or drawer, and they fit together better too.

Recently my son decided he wanted fresh new white sheets and he did need a new comforter. Our sheets are old or hand-me-downs, so I thought it would be nice to give him some new items.

This is a guide about storing sheets inside pillowcases. Organize your linen closet by storing sheets inside the matching pillowcases.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Simply fold towels together. While folding, fold one of the bath towels around the rest of the set, making it a size and shape that stacks nicely in your storage closet.

I need some help organizing my linen closet. it is JAM PACKED full of blankets (most of which we use because of frequent guest). It is very small and had about five shelves in it. Any suggestions?

Renee from AR

Answers

By lilly (Guest Post)

i organize my linen closet this way. i put all the sets that belongs toguether inside of one of the matching pillow cases, fold it and when you are looking for that set everything is neatly put inside ,you dont have to go crazy looking for all the matching pieces in different places.

By Kathy (Guest Post)

How about getting some of those rubbermaid tubs or large plastic bags to store things in and put all the blankets in those? You could then store the containers somewhere else where you might have more room.

By (Guest Post)

At work we put the blankets in a plastic (garbage) bag (be sure there are no holes) and use the vacuum to suck out all the air then tie the bag securely. Your blankets will be compressed so that they take up less space.

This can also be done with clothes when you pack them away for the season and also with sheets and pillowcases. Be sure to mark them or use clear bags to see what is in them.

By Sharon, Lancaster, PA (Guest Post)

I keep only the linens in my closet that I am using for that season and put the others(already laundered) in a jumbo plastic tote that I keep in the attic. It saves me time when looking for what I need and at the end of the season, I just get the other linens out of the tote and they are ready to go.

By Doggy (Guest Post)

You might camouflage some of your blankets by tucking them around a 'less than new' chair or loveseat, and covering with a nice afghan. Also, several of them could fit into a box kept under a bed or in a closet. You might consider storing them on the shelves of your guest room closet (if you have one) or folding them (the long way)and hanging on wooden hangers. I found that rolling towels rather than folding them saves space on shelves. A hollow ottoman will also hold several.

By Annie (Guest Post)

I find it helpful to just keep what I need on a daily basis in the linen closet. I store occasionally used things under my bed in containers. I use the bed lifts to create more room under the bed as well. We have a small house and I am always looking for ways to optimize my closets. Very interesting to read the responses.

By Tawnda (Guest Post)

If you have blankets and quilts that are in good condition you can incorporate some of them by hanging them over the back of your couch, loveseats, etc. I also take advantage of the very tops of my childrens' closets. They cannot reach the top shelves and so I use those top shelves to store blankets in. You can also use the medium sized totes and place them in the bottom of your closet and then stack your shoes on top of the totes.

By berrong (Guest Post)

Place folded sheets and pillow case in one of matching pillow case. Saves space and is always together.

By Ann (Guest Post)

Lots of good ideas already, but if you're short on space you can store 2 blankets between the box springs and mattress. Fold the blanket in half or quarters and place it between the box spring and mattress on one side of the bed. Repeat on the other side of the bed and the mattress will still feel level. You can even store a sheet set this way.

By Denise (Guest Post)

You can even store blankes insinde the decorative Shams that come with your bedspread. Just fold the blanket and stuff inside the sham. Put the sham on the bed. This also works with extra sets of sheets.

We've stored our extra blankets in cedar hope chest. These can be bought new, or from an estate auction/garage sale. If you don't mind the wood smell, it might be a good idea. We then use ours as a second coffee table in our living room.

Have you thought of reducing the number of blankets you need by replacing them with comforters? We use only one comforter per bed and store a summer cotton blanket for each bed in the closet. Comforters roll up like sleeping bags (I make straps to hold them out of 1" elastic). When we are using the summer blanket, we just roll up the comforter and store it under the bed, in that bedroom's closet, or sometimes just folded at the end of the bed in case it gets cold. Since we wash the comforter covers, we only have to store two fitted sheets per bed. We also have some extra blankets for guests, but only about 4 or 5 which all fit on one side of a 32" wide shelf in the closet. We don't have room for tubs so we avoid having to store a ton of stuff by using systems that require less stuff and less storage.

By Sparky (Guest Post)

Vacuum sealing large comforters, blankets & pillows are a great space-saving idea. Plus, they are compact enough to store one on top of the other. Making sure they all are labeled & that if you have wire shelves, it is a good idea to put a towel down first. This makes it easy to take them on & off without pucturing the bag. The large garbage bags can easily be used with a vacuum to suck out the air & then using rubberbands to secure each bag. It will save you from buying the "Space Bags"

By Jill (Guest Post)

I like to organize my linens by room (I.e. guest room, master, kids). I take the top sheet and pillow cases, and fold them inside the bottom sheet. The problem is all of the different sizes. I live in San Diego and I just saw an article in SD home about this great new product that looks like it should work great. The article is by Harriet Schechter who writes some really helpful hints. This article is not on-line but you can check out the product at www.kangaroomstorage.com

By Closet Case (Guest Post)

The article Jill was referring to is here:
http://writeint  /col_fall_06.htm

By Cricket (Guest Post)

If you have a lot of extra closet space, you can hang the blankets on large hangers at the end of the closet. Another thing is to get some of those space saver bags and place them in there and make it smaller.

What's a clever and easy way to identify my full size from king size sheets? They are all white in color.

By Gina K

Answers

Embroidery K in the corners of the King size sheets in Red thread. It doesn't have to be large and Red thread will stand out on white.

Does this tag tell the size of the bedding eg. full, queen, or king? How do you tell the size once the bedding is removed from its packaging?