Dog Bed

This has an inside pillow filled with fiberfill and a removable cover for washing with a pocket, so my dog thinks he is sleeping "under the blankets".

Approximate Time: 3 hours.

• fabric for outside
  • fabric for inside
  • tape measure
  • scissors
  • fiberfill
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • pins
  • paper for measurements

Instructions:

1. Measure the floor of the dog crate and write it down. Keep handy. Collect supplies.
  2. Cut 2 pieces of the fabric to be used for the inside pillow 1 inch bigger on each side.
  3. Cut enough 3 inch strips of fabric to go all around the perimeter of the pillow. This will form the gusset. It makes the inside pillow thicker.
  4. Cut the same pieces from the fabric for the outside cover. Mine were 18x24 inches so I cut them 19x25 inches.
  5. Sew the 3 inch strips to one of the pieces for the inside pillow all around. Clipping the seam allowance at the corners.
  6. Now sew the second side of the gusset to the other piece of the inside pillow all around. Clip seam allowances. Leave an opening in order to stuff it. Turn right sides out.
  7. Add the fiberfill and hand sew opening closed.
  8. Ad

9. From the fabric for the cover cut another piece that is wider then the top. Mine was about 6 inches wider. It should be about 3/4 as long as the cover piece. Fold down the top and sew a wide hem in it. This is where the dog will slip in the pocket. He will be able to push it up with his nose.
  10. Lay it on top of the top piece and make several folds or pleats across the bottom and pin each one to hold in place while you sew. After pinning the pleats this piece should then be exactly the same size as the top and bottom piece of your cover.
  11. Put right sides together and sew one side of the gusset to the top all around. Then sew the other side of the gusset to the bottom all around but leaving an opening to turn your work right side out.
  12. Turn right sides out and hand stitch or machine sew the opening closed.

My dog liked it because it was warm inside when I came home from work today so I know he was in there. But he didn't want to hold still to get his picture taken. Enjoy!

By Little Suzy from OH

What a beautiful wonderful way to make a dog feel at home in his or her crate! I might make one of those for myself!

Robyn

Thanks so much. That will be perfect for my dog, she loves to sleep under the covers!

Dog on Homemade Pet Bed
Homemade Pet Beds
Crafts SewingJune 24, 2009
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎉
🎄