When are Huckleberries Ripe?

I would like to know how to tell when huckleberries are ripe.

By cantrelljl from Arlington, WA

As with most fruit, huckleberries are ripe when the fruit feels soft and if you squeeze it between your fingers juice runs out. They usually ripen mid August so you should be good to pick.

I don't know how many you have but some ways of using them. Eat them as you pick, sprinkle on your morning cereal, make huckleberry pancakes, jam or jelly, and of course pies. Good luck.

Hi, Thank you very much for your time. J Cantrell

Wow, huckleberries. Are yours red or blue? Either way, if they have turned color, and getting "tender" you can roll them off into a container, which can take time if you are trying to get enough for more than just eating. If you get a few that are not quite ripe, and using them in a cooked dish, or pancakes, etc., No problem. My memories of them are so dear. I grew up in Bellingham, WA. Last time i had a chance to pick a bunch was when visiting family in 1996. That was on Camano Island. I am nearly 71, and still have tears in my eyes thinking about the things I miss about the foothills of the Cascade Mts., And the wild berries and fruits that we enjoyed. Just enjoy every thing you find that is such a gift.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingOctober 3, 2009
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Huckleberries
Growing Huckleberries
green tomatoes
Tomatoes Are Not Getting Ripe
🎄
🍂