Freebie Furniture Left On The Street

This is another tip about saving money on furniture. It's kind of catch-as-catch-can, and you have to be not too proud to do it! In my suburb, people often put unwanted items out in the street on the nature strip (grass verge) for anyone who wants to take them. It's not really approved of by the local council, but still! I've seen computer monitors, tables, lounge chairs, and so on.

A few weeks ago just near my place was a set of 5 shelves, white painted pine, in good condition. I badly needed another bookcase, so I toted it up 2 flights of stairs, cleaned it down, put it against the wall in my room, and now have a useful bookcase (some of my books saw the light of day as they came out of the boxes they were packed in!) I've also gained a perfectly good pair of blankets, decorative cane baskets, and so on.

By Ellie from Melbourne Australia

You need to be careful about doing this. It is against the law in some cities and towns. Not in the town I live in tho. I have done this myself, and have also set out furniture and big toys we no longer needed and everything went within a couple hours.

Isn't it a God-send to find things you really need? He knows all of our needs and allows us to find them. I've helped so very many folks out this way for over 23 years, so I suppose this is one reason

He helps me out with things on the curb, now that I need them the most to replace things worn, broken,

obsolete, etc., and if personal, they're ALWAYS like new and just my size or the size of whomever I know.

Here in Texas, we can have ANYTHING we can use, need and carry away that's on the street "curb-side", if it's on the areas' "bulky pick-up day", but it's understood that we must not leave the site messy. Most folks seem happy to see them recycled, because, like you found, they're often times too good to see go to the landfill or worse, and often

just what we need! May God continue to bless you. : )

In regard to being careful what you pick up, I once picked up a slipper chair in good condition, however, it needed to be re-upholstered. Before I could even buy fabric for the job, the little mice nest in the chair, had released baby mice all over my house!

Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 9, 2007
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Street Trees
Taking Care of Street Trees
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎉
🎄