Color Suggestions For Kitchen With Hunter Green Cabinets

My kitchen is small, about 428 sf. There are not many cabinets, and they are painted hunter green. The counter-tops and back-splash are covered with white tiles. The appliances are basically white.

I want to keep the hunter green. The walls are currently a very light, light yellow, sort of a butter-cream. We are having the kitchen painted and I would like some suggestions for the color of the walls. I can always go with white, but I think it would be too much white. There are three good-sized windows plus a smaller one over the sink, so the room gets a lot of light. Any suggestions?

Suzanne from Ellicott City, MD

Burgendy goes well with Hunter Green. White goes with pretty much everything. If your walls are not going to go, a nice dusty rose that is very soft can be pretty. Jars of pine and rose potpourri and wreaths made out of them bring a country touch. Have hand crocheted hot pads, some pretty towels of each color and canisters/kitchen goodies to tie it all together. When you are all done, you should share with us your finished products!!

With dark hunter cabinets in a kitchen that's very small you don't have a lot of choices, but I'd recommend either a golden Carmel color, a light to med sage, a light tan or a light peanutbutter, grayish-taupe, But since you live in a state with harsh winters, you may want to stay in the golden tones (which make you think of sunshine & happiness). Sage can be mixed with either a golden cast or a silver cast... Do yourself a favor & buy several poster-boards & paint these with your sample color, & move them around the room to see what your color looks like in all types of light. I'd stay away from white if I were you... Be sure to use a semi-gloss as this will not only be easier to wash, but in a small space you want the light to "bounce".

For a high tech look you can paint the walls with Aluminum paint or a silver (gold or copper) color... Silver or Oil based Aluminum paint would look great in a modern home & talk about "bouncing light around a room", Silver would definitely do THAT! ...They even make a real stainless-steel veneer that easily sticks to anything, I saw it on the show "I want that" on the Fine Living Channel: ... le/0,3147,FINE_28076_5110188,00.html

You could use dusty rose, but it will throw you back into the 80's (when EVERYONE used it!)....

Burgundy is WAAAY to dark to use as the main color with hunter cabinets, but it can be used as an accent color. These days' they are using a lot of Golds, Oranges & Dark Browns, which remind me of the late 60's (which I'm easily old enough to remember well enough) But if you do choose these colors, you may want to think about adding white to them, using peach instead of orange, or tan instead of brown as an example.

Be thankful that you have hunter-green colored kitchen cabinets & not hot pink cabinets like I did when I moved in to my new place! I always wonder what that crazy lady was like that lived here before me & who would paint their cabinets bright pink??? She must have been a spunky type of gal... <*grin*>

How about a soft grey or something in the peach/apricot/coral family.

Just wanted to comment, that I live at the beach in New England. The whole house is only about 125 square feet bigger then your kitchen. No kids. One bedroom. Big deck. Whole beach. Bathroom in the basement. It's a trade off to live here. I just love it.

I'm helping a friend who bought cabinets at trade show. Maroon and blue. Hey it really looks ok

In a kitchen that small, make sure the color is LIGHT, especially when you've got such an awfully dark green dominating your color scheme. Otherwise, you'll feel as if you're in a dark dungeon instead of a kitchen.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJuly 1, 2008
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets