Buying and Preparing Exotic Fruit

I love to try new things, but there are many types of fruits in the supermarket that I'm afraid to buy because I don't know if they are ripe or how to eat them. I was staring at a Japanese pear the other day for example. Can people list what they are familiar with and tell me how to pick a "good" one and what to do with it when I get home? I would love to try a prickly pear too, but those thorn things get in my fingers!

Lorrie from Marmora, Ontario

What a good question!!. One that I have wondered at myself. I have seen Asian pears and am told that they taste like a cross between a pear and an apple. The girl who was eating it just treated it like a fresh apple and was munching away. If you like fruit salad, slice a star fruit up into it, especially at Christmas. I didn't care for the taste by itself, but it DID look very pretty, and was kind of a refreshing taste in the salad.

I wonder what an Ugli Fruit tastes like??!!??

Ask the produce manager (the person doing the stocking may not know any more than you do, ask for the produce manager) Often when I ask about the taste and how to use it they will cut one open and let me try it. I've even had them come out with information pamplets from the company.

They want to sell you on this product, they are a great resource.

Have fun with it!

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitNovember 3, 2006
Exotic Shorthair Kitten
Exotic Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines