Removing Perfume Smell

With perfume, a little goes a long way, too much and the lovely fragrance can be overwhelming. Removing the excess from your skin or perhaps a lingering odor in a room can be done easily. This is a guide about removing perfume smell.

Filter Sort

Question: Too Much Perfume Smell

I sprayed too much perfume on me today. I hate when others do it and I want to control the smell. I've tried to dampen a napkin and wipe the smell of a bit but it didn't work too well. Can anyway help me out. I don't want to kill everyone in the office.

Johanna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Dee 3 142 Flag

April 20, 2005Best Answer

Rubbing alcohol works to cut down on the smell. Just rub over same spot as perfume.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

December 13, 2006Best Answer

After trying out a new fragrance I put too much on too! I sprayed hairspray lightly over the areas I put the perfume and it really helped! THANK YOU!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

December 3, 2007Best Answer

I did the same thing to myself this morning. Too much perfume came out in one spritz all over my sweater. I gag every time I inhaled the stuff!

But found a new remedy to tone down the perfume! I'm at my office and lo and behold...I have Hand Sanitizer on my desk. I rubbed it on my hands and wiped it on my sweater.

Ahhh.I can breath again!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Glynn 1 4 Flag

June 4, 2008Best Answer

Use Non Scented hand lotion...put it on wherever you sprayed the perfume. It eases it a little bit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Perfume Smell Out of Clothing

By cjp 1

My son has received some great hand-me-downs from a friend, but they have been washed in scented laundry detergent. He has allergies and asthma, so I always use unscented detergent and fabric softener. I have tried washing them in hot water with baking soda and my own detergent, but the smell is still very strong. How can I remove the detergent smell from the clothes?

CJP

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Sherry 72 83 Flag

June 25, 2008Best Answer

Target makes a product called "Smell Remover" you might try it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By A Trevino 12 63 Flag

June 26, 2008Best Answer

I along with the other members agree that you should wash the clothes with a cup of vinegar. Another solution is to hang the clothes outside for a few hours and let the sun remove the odors for you. Launder as usual afterwards.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lynnecollins 1 Flag

February 4, 2011Best Answer

Try "Odor Disposers" It's a shampoo intended to remove the odor from dogs! Pretty appropriate, actually. I soaked cotton shirts in it and then tossed them in the regular laundry. No smell!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Perfume Smell From a Room

By danny blaydes 1

I had company over the weekend, she used way too much perfume. How can I get the smell out of the whole room? I have laundered some things and tried laying others outside. I sprayed clorox on the bathroom floor and the smell still is making me sick. I feel like I am going to have to move!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

September 12, 2005Best Answer

I have air cleaners that plug right into the wall. I bought them at the grocery and Target. They cost about $25.00 and have an on/off switch. It cleans the air "no perfumes". I can't stand the Glade air cover things cause that is all any of that stuff does is cover up, but this is like a mini HEPA filter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

September 12, 2005Best Answer

Try spraying vinegar in the room. Also, try setting out a bowl of charcoal (that you grill with). The coffee grounds work also.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Remedy for Too Much Perfume

Most people don't even realize they are wearing too much perfume. If you can still smell your perfume a half hour after putting it on, you likely are wearing too much. To help prevent putting too much on, spray it in front of you and then walk through the spray. To remove excess perfume, make a paste of water and baking soda and rub it where you applied the perfume, then rinse off the area with water.

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

How do you get strong perfume smells out of clothing?

By Bonnie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By bdemoines 3 Flag

June 5, 2001Best Answer

I haven't had a problem with perfume smells,

but I once had a sweater with strong mothball

cent. I tried Fabreeze, all of the "do it

yourself" dry cleaning products, and nothing

worked. It still reeked of moth balls. Then,

my Aunt told me the solution. Hang it outside

on the clothesline! The sun and fresh air

completely removed the odor! If it worked for

mothballs, maybe it'll work for perfume.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

June 6, 2001Best Answer

I was going to recommend hanging outside, also. Another good way is sprinkle baking soda all over the garment. Put it in a plastic bag for a few days then shake out the baking soda. It should absorb the odors. - Susan

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Perfume Smell from Clothes

How do I remove perfume smell from clothes?

By Dale

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Monique 108 177 Flag

Hello, I have heard that full sugar Cola works to remove smoke smells from clothes and even stinky socks! It may well work on perfumed fabric.

You could try a generous cup of white vinegar in the wash, I know that is supposed to work. Spritz with vodka afterwards. Put the vodka in a spray pump bottle and a few mists of the neat vodka; once dried, should kill any smells on your clothes.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Monique :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Perfume Smell from Wooden Dresser

By joey 1

How do you remove perfume smell from dresser?

By Joey from Plymouth, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tina 3 Flag

I had that same problem and nothing I tried worked. Finally, a friend of my husband who makes furniture said about the only way he knows of removing that smell is to paint clear polyurethane over it. He said while it may not remove the smell, it seals it in and you can't smell it any more. I tried it and it worked. No more smell!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Perfume Smells from Clothing

When I buy clothes from consignment shops they always have a "perfume" smell. I am allergic and have trouble getting this odor out of the clothes yet love the discounted prices.

By C Marie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Woman spraying perfume into the air.
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 14, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Woman applying perfume to wrist.
Using Perfume
Perfume Bottles
Shelf Life of Perfume
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:47:00 AM on 10.0.0.222 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings