Removing Perfume Smell

With perfume, a little goes a long way, too much and the lovely fragrance can be overwhelming. Removing the excess from your skin or perhaps a lingering odor in a room can be done easily. This is a guide about removing perfume smell.

April 18, 2005 Flag

I sprayed too much perfume on me today. I hate when others do it and I want to control the smell. I've tried to dampen a napkin and wipe the smell of a bit but it didn't work too well. Can anyway help me out. I don't want to kill everyone in the office.

Johanna

Best Answer

Rubbing alcohol works to cut down on the smell. Just rub over same spot as perfume.

Best Answer

After trying out a new fragrance I put too much on too! I sprayed hairspray lightly over the areas I put the perfume and it really helped! THANK YOU!

Best Answer

I did the same thing to myself this morning. Too much perfume came out in one spritz all over my sweater. I gag every time I inhaled the stuff!

But found a new remedy to tone down the perfume! I'm at my office and lo and behold...I have Hand Sanitizer on my desk. I rubbed it on my hands and wiped it on my sweater.

Ahhh.I can breath again!

Best Answer

Use Non Scented hand lotion...put it on wherever you sprayed the perfume. It eases it a little bit.

Tolerance is the only solution :) Or sit with anyone in office, whom you want to kill :p

June 25, 2008 Flag

My son has received some great hand-me-downs from a friend, but they have been washed in scented laundry detergent. He has allergies and asthma, so I always use unscented detergent and fabric softener. I have tried washing them in hot water with baking soda and my own detergent, but the smell is still very strong. How can I remove the detergent smell from the clothes?

CJP

Best Answer

Target makes a product called "Smell Remover" you might try it.

Best Answer

I along with the other members agree that you should wash the clothes with a cup of vinegar. Another solution is to hang the clothes outside for a few hours and let the sun remove the odors for you. Launder as usual afterwards.

Best Answer

Try "Odor Disposers" It's a shampoo intended to remove the odor from dogs! Pretty appropriate, actually. I soaked cotton shirts in it and then tossed them in the regular laundry. No smell!

Sometimes you can't get it out. Unless you want to devote your entire week to it. I had an easier time improving the smell of the clothes from an 80 year old chain smoker. My friend wears this icky perfume and then gives me hand me downs which smell to the bejesus. I washed this one shirt probably 10X with vinegar, tsp, baking soda, I kept it outside for over a month, simple green, borax- no deal. It still stinks more than the smoker clothes do.

I have had some major experience with this issue after an innkeeper ruined by clothes with fabric softener (that I asked specifically for him NOT to use). That issue aside, here's what I've learned:

If the fabric has any spandex in it - toss it. You can't get any of the chemicals they use for "fragrance" out of spandex - period.

If the fabric is cotton, then multiple washes with vinegar and/or borax will eventually work.

If it is a cotton/poly blend it can be done, but it takes time. Wash it several times in hot water with borax/vinegar and then hang it up somewhere to air out (not in a closet) - for a year.

That's what I learned. Good luck.

April 13, 2006 Flag

Most people don't even realize they are wearing too much perfume. If you can still smell your perfume a half hour after putting it on, you likely are wearing too much. To help prevent putting too much on, spray it in front of you and then walk through the spray. To remove excess perfume, make a paste of water and baking soda and rub it where you applied the perfume, then rinse off the area with water.

By ThriftyFun

OR - wear none at all !! I cannot tell you how often I've had to move to another seat at a public event because the perfume is making me sick. I get an instant headache. My employees are not allowed to wear perfume, scented body wash or shampoo or hair spray to work. WHY do some people try to cover up body odor with lots of perfumes?? I simply cannot tolerate it - it's not my choice, just my body. My skin itches, my eyes water, my stomach gets upset - PLEASE PEOPLE!!! Cigarettes are banned and it is getting to the point where perfumes should be, too. They CAN be used in moderation!!

I think banning perfume in public places sounds like a wonderful idea! I have the same reaction as the previous poster. Probably 95% of all perfumes or scents causes me an instantaneous splitting headache and nausea. My eyes itch to the point I feel like clawing at them to make it stop! I too assume that the folks who are swimming in perfume or aftershave didn't bother to bathe and think they're covering it up by splashing on another layer of perfume!

My co-worker douses himself in it every morning and it is killing me. What can I do? We've tried talking to him but he doesn't get it.

My grandmother used to consider perfume as "one stink covering up another stink." Maybe grandma had a good point! I have noticed over the years people seem to be wearing less perfume, at least where I live. As for myself I sometimes use scented soap and powder after my shower at night. Occasionally I might wear perfume in the day. I recall one perfume which I loved, but my family hated. I can still hear my son telling me he could smell me before I even appeared. The first time he made the statement he was mowing the lawn and I was up on the deck. Lol in any case I seldom wore it unless they weren't around. We need to think of others.

Not everyone is trying to cover up body odor with perfume. In fact I think most who don't care enough to shower everyday could care less about perfume or aftershave.

I personally love to walk by someone who smells wonderful it can literally make my day! But I do feel for those who get a bad reactions to it. I know when my daughters want to go into the "bath" stores or even the candle stores I have to leave after just a few minutes as it gives me a terrible headache.

September 9, 2005 Flag

I had company over the weekend, she used way too much perfume. How can I get the smell out of the whole room? I have laundered some things and tried laying others outside. I sprayed clorox on the bathroom floor and the smell still is making me sick. I feel like I am going to have to move!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have air cleaners that plug right into the wall. I bought them at the grocery and Target. They cost about $25.00 and have an on/off switch. It cleans the air "no perfumes". I can't stand the Glade air cover things cause that is all any of that stuff does is cover up, but this is like a mini HEPA filter.

Best Answer

Try spraying vinegar in the room. Also, try setting out a bowl of charcoal (that you grill with). The coffee grounds work also.

You could try placing shallow containers of fresh coffee grounds around the room or try cinnamon. I have put cinnamon in a fry pan and put on low heat to remove odors. If you have an electric fry pan, or slo-cooker you could use that instead of a fry pan on your range.

A member of my family smokes when my DH is at work. He is very allergic to smoke. So I spray with OUST a couple of times and it does the trick. You can get it at supermarkets, drug stores, Walmart, just about anywhere.

I hate that too!

June 4, 2001 Flag

How do you get strong perfume smells out of clothing?

By Bonnie

Best Answer

I haven't had a problem with perfume smells,

but I once had a sweater with strong mothball

scent. I tried Fabreeze, all of the "do it

yourself" dry cleaning products, and nothing

worked. It still reeked of moth balls. Then,

my Aunt told me the solution. Hang it outside

on the clothesline! The sun and fresh air

completely removed the odor! If it worked for

mothballs, maybe it'll work for perfume.

Best Answer

I was going to recommend hanging outside, also. Another good way is sprinkle baking soda all over the garment. Put it in a plastic bag for a few days then shake out the baking soda. It should absorb the odors. - Susan

Place the article of clothing in a bag and place 1 lb of zeolite in a breathable bag in with it. The zeolite will absorb the odors

November 17, 2014 Flag

How do I remove perfume smell from clothes?

By Dale

Hello, I have heard that full sugar Cola works to remove smoke smells from clothes and even stinky socks! It may well work on perfumed fabric.

You could try a generous cup of white vinegar in the wash, I know that is supposed to work. Spritz with vodka afterwards. Put the vodka in a spray pump bottle and a few mists of the neat vodka; once dried, should kill any smells on your clothes.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Monique :)

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 14, 2013
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Woman applying perfume to wrist.
Using Perfume
Perfume Bottles
Shelf Life of Perfume
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
🎉
🎄