Removing Perfume Smell from Wooden Dresser

Category Furniture
The essential oils and alcohol in perfume can penetrate wooden furniture creating a lingering odor that may be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing perfume smell from a wooden dresser.

How do you remove perfume smell from dresser?

By joey from Plymouth, IN

Answers

Best Answer

I had that same problem and nothing I tried worked. Finally, a friend of my husband who makes furniture said about the only way he knows of removing that smell is to paint clear polyurethane over it. He said while it may not remove the smell, it seals it in and you can't smell it any more. I tried it and it worked. No more smell!

How can pine furniture be repaired if perfume has been spilled on it?

Karen from Martinsville, IN

Answers:

How do I remove perfume smell from a wood dresser? I recently bought a wooden dresser from an older lady and it has an intense perfume odor. How do I neutralize the smell? It is covered inside and out with this odor.

Sam from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Try baking soda. Put it in a shallow dish and leave in a closed drawer for a couple days. (01/19/2008)

By michaela

White vinegar placed in a shallow bowl & left for a day or two, is supposed to neutralize ANY nasty smell. If that doesn't work, buy OUT! ($4 at Walmart) it's sold in the "Pet" area & is made to clean up cat urine. It's also made to clean up other household stains and odors. It works by using good bacteria and enzymes to "eat" up the smell, odor, and stains. Of course, you can always try "Febreeze" but then you'll only be adding another scent to the perfume, it's to bad they don't make an unscented version.

Stick with the Vinegar, it's supposed to work wonders in removing odors! They say you can put a small bowl of vinegar on the counter next to your frying fish & the place won't smell like fish. So if it works for that, I don't see why it won't work to remove the scent of perfume! (01/20/2008)

By Cyinda

You can also try a shallow dish of coffee grounds. It will also absorb odors, so may be worth a try. (01/21/2008)

By Louise B.

If the vinegar doesn't work you might try setting it outside in the sun for a couple of days. Of course you will want to do this on a very clear day. (01/21/2008)

By jsham

Put a bowl of charcoal briquettes in the drawer it will absorb the odor. Use the kind for barbecues like Kingsford. (01/21/2008)

By LEONA LABINE