Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Category Furniture
Whether it's from a pizza box, a coffee cup or some other hot item, heat stains on a wood table can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing heat stains from a wood table.

Using an iron with old shirt idea worked 100% for a bad one that I had. Thanks for the tip. The key is not to use too much heat as I tried that once before and made the problem worse. Be patient and then use olive oil after to condition the wood.

Great trick. I've done the mayo and ashes thing. Not even close to same results

I doubled a blanket on my dining table, and was ironing a large table cloth on it. Now I have several iron marks all over my table. I don't think the iron will work, since this is how I put them on there. Any other suggestions?

By Cindy R. from Hattiesburg, MS

I have just used a Magic Cloth to remove heat stains and it worked a treat. They are available at Lakeland in the UK and well worth the price.

I've been using an iron to remove them like some people are suggesting. I was wowed by this solution. This solution works temporarily. The white stains keep coming back! I've used plastic plates and cups. All my plates are white, I was wondering if this is reason why?

By wahwong62

Answers

I too tried the steam iron on cotton trick, and it did work to some degree, but it left the surface of the table where the stain was very slightly rough to the touch. With a flash of inspiration I decided to try rubbing the area with a little drop of metal polish such as Brasso. This worked a treat, and as I progressed across the effected area, the white stain gradually disappeared. A final rub with a good quality wax polish and I defy anyone to tell me where the stain had been. Job done to my wife's total satisfaction!

I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and I can't believe it really worked! The white stain is gone.

Anonymous

Magic eraser worked for me.

Anonymous

I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it ruined the finish on my table.

Anonymous

I was skeptical, but the Mister Clean Magic Eraser worked for me.

Anonymous

After making the mark worse with the iron method I used a Mr. clean Magic Eraser and it worked! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip! I thought I ruined a sofa table after I used it to iron. Even tho I had thick towels, it got multiple white burn marks from the iron. I used a magic eraser, then rubbed a generous coat of lemon oil furniture polish. It looks like new! 

Thanks for the tip! I thought I ruined a sofa table after I used it to iron. Even tho I had thick towels, it got multiple white burn marks from the iron. I used a magic eraser in the direction of the grain, then rubbed a generous coat of lemon oil furniture polish. It looks like new! 

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

Answers

I hope you get them removed. I used mayo for drink rings left on tables I have "picked up" so I never let that stop me from getting one in the past. If its from that this method usually works.No knowing more information about what they are from. I hope this works for you.

Mayo and ashes has been recommended a lot and does work in some cases. Check out this archive for other ideas. This is a topic that we have seen a lot on ThriftyFun.

http://www.thri … arc/000/803.html

Always best to test the solution in an inconspicuous place before attempting on area that will be seen by all.

I had/have this problem on light-colored wood. Some guests left their "sweating" drink glasses on the end table and terrible marks were left. I've tried every hint offered on ThriftyFun, but nothing has worked so far. I may just have to remove the finish from the entire table, sand it all, and then apply a new coat of stain. I was hoping to avoid this painstaking chore!

Anonymous

I am a decorative artist. I oecialize in many aspects of decorative work including furniture and cabinet refinishing and or aging,distressing ,etc. It isnt necessary to strip the whole top. Home Depot carrys a product called Restore -A-Finish. I use this product to remove white heat rings and it does wonders. In the event that you need to strip anything use a #0000 steal wool also dold at HomeDepot and ver lightly rub with the grain. Then use a tack cloth to apply the finish and you are done. It works everytime

I would like to offer a correction to the answers here. The root cause of the "cloudy" white stain on wood tables caused by hot plates is the moisture that is trapped within the varnish on the table.
This is specially for really hard old reclaimed wood tables (teak, casuani, etc). These tables are typically finished with "oil" varnish or polish and not water. Now I tried everything from hot iron to baking soda and everything else in between. The one thing that made is worse was using a steam iron. That's because with steam it caused the oil polish on the table trap more moisture and it made it worse (like others have also seen if you google). The trick is to get the moisture out. So with a water based finish using a simple iron on low heat works great. However after 4 hours I realized that for oil based polish you need a very hot iron and a kitchen towel. This is very important because unlike water polish with oil polish I realized I need to get the table extremely hot and then it "pushes" the water out of the table (yes you can see beads of it) and the towel should soak it up right away otherwise it goes back.
So to summarize for oil based finishes you need a dry iron at max temp out on a kitchen towel on the table and left there for about 20-30 seconds on each spot and then wipe off the water beads right away. Repeat until no more water comes out. This is different from water based finish. Do NOT use a steam iron on a oil based finish. Hope this helps. Thanks.

My husband and I just got this table and I was serving dinner and put a hot serving bowl on it, and now there is a white ring on it. I do now know what kind of wood it is, but it has a cherry finish, I think. Please help me find a solution to get the ring out, please.

By Jen from Schroeder, MN

Answers

Try putting mayonnaise on the heat stain and let it sit overnight. This shouldn't hurt the finish. Then wipe it off.
If that doesn't work, use a tiny bit of denatured alcohol on a rag and wipe over the stain.

If that doesn't work, rub the stain with very fine steel wool. This will cut into the finish and will erase the stain if it's on the surface. The steel wool will change the sheen of the finish. You can steel wool the whole top to make all the sheen the same. Or you can use toothpaste or a rubbing compound to buff the area to a higher sheen to match the surrounding sheen.

If the stain goes all the way through the finish, you will have to sand down to bare wood which will open up a big can of worms.

I too have done this to my kitchen table. someone told me a long time ago to use baby oil gel. I buy johnson and johnson lavender scented. it works great. I take it and rub the spot real good with it and just leave it. light spots will disappear quickly others I have left the gel on all night and in the morning just wipe it off. all mine disappeared. and you have a nice fragance, too.

Use a hair drier. Slowly heat up the spot, keeping the drier moving. In just a minute or two, the heat spot will be gone. I've done this many times. (7 kids)

Use a hair drier. Keep it moving and in a minute or 2, presto!

Anonymous

Just did this dryer tip on my new stain from a cake pan on a shallow rack and it worked . Thanks ever so much for the tip!

I am trying to remove light (almost white) stains from a cherry wood dining table. I recently purchased a used table and chair set. It was fine, but now there are 4 white or light-colored circle stains that have appeared. I tried toothpaste, furniture polish, and nothing seems to work. I am not sure what the stains are or how they got there. This beautiful table is now marred, I would love to remove the spots.

How do I get white rings marks, caused by heat, from my dining table?

By Lorraine from Edmonds, WA

Answers

Try rubbing small amount of mayo into the ring and then buff it out with soft cloth or another way is to make a paste of coffee grounds and water, rub it in, leave for an hour and buff out! Super easy!

I have used a hair dryer....I "dry" the stain for about 30 seconds using hot heat, then buff it with a soft cloth....may need some patience but it works every time!

A product I was recommended called Liberon worked wonders for me. Failed with the iron, just got another mark!

Can I remove white marks from waffle type plastic table cover that got imbedded in my dark pine table?

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

Answers

Try mayonnaise. Seriously - it takes water rings off very expensive furniture. It can't possibly hurt it.

If you can put the table out in the sun, try rubbing it with a suitably colored furniture polish then setting it out in the sun for a while. I've gotten water marks out of maple chairs that way.

A friend of mine set a hot pan on her dining room table and it made a horrible dark brown burn circle in the table. Is there any way we can work on making it look nice w/o refinishing the table?

Would a steam mop work?

By Katy

I have a white stain on my dresser. How do I get it out?

By Diana

Answers

It would be useful to know what the stain is. Many white stains are caused by water or heat. These can be fixed, although I have not done so. Try googling removing water stains from cherry wood, and see if you get info. If the stain is something else (paint, for example), the method of removal will be different

I steam stained my polished wooden dining room table by ironing (steam iron) on it. How can I remove this stain?

By Reg N

How can you get white heat marks off a cherry wood table?

Dawn from Truro, Nova Scotia

Answers:

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Our brand new satin finish walnut table has had a large white ring from a hot pot for months now while we tried every product imaginable. I was just about to go ahead with a $300 refinishing job when I came across this iron trick (see further down this page) and figuring that I couldn't make it much worse gave it a try. In less than a minute I've removed the mark and my table looks brand new (03/26/2007)

By Sea

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

The steam iron and white towel worked a treat! It was brilliant. Dear Husband put a hot pizza box on a fabulous table, and I was sure it was ruined. I tried everything, but what worked was the steam iron and white towel. Thank you so much! (03/30/2007)

By Winifred

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Just tried the steam iron trick using a white T-shirt, and it worked perfectly! I can't believe how easy this was. I have been living with that white mark for all of this time and it took 2 minutes to get rid of it! (04/07/2007)

By Dee

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

I never thought this would work, and thought I would try it out to prove you wrong but in fact it did work and so perfectly! Now my Landlord won't be charging me for a new table! Basically as it says all you do is heat up a normal steam iron to medium heat, get a white table cloth, pillow case, etc. and put over the white mark, then for a few seconds, just as if you were ironing the cloth, press the steam button and work over the stain. You will be amazed like I am. I'm still trying to work out how THIS ACTUALLY WORKS! (04/11/2007)

By Adrianna

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

When I saw that you could use a steam iron and a white cloth I was skeptical. But I got my iron and a white t-shirt out but was left with a big white iron mark. Then I thought I would try it again...

HERE IS THE TRICK...

Double the t-shirt or use a thicker cloth, then the second you place the iron on the shirt press the steam button and remove. I DO MEAN ONE SECOND! Then with the damp side of the shirt rub the stain. Keep doing this till the stain comes out. Once it the stain was out I then rubbed in some olive oil and now my table looks as good as new! (04/18/2007)

By Tahnee

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Mayo and some wood ashes rubbed with an old sock. It works just perfect! (04/26/2007)

By Chuck

I have white round marks on a coffee table. Any ideas how to remove them? Also does anyone have a homemade furniture polish recipe or any other tips to make the wood gleam and shine? Thank you.

By Teresa from Hampshire, UK

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Try rubbing the the cut edge of a Brazil nut on the stain, it works well. (01/14/2011)

By mrs christmas

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just used the mayonnaise/baking soda/toothpaste technique followed by the medium heat iron and white t-shirt! Both techniques used together created perfection, no sign of the white mark! (01/29/2011)

By MR&MRSDIY

My sister-in-law put a hot baked potato on a white napkin on our wood table and there was a white ring left behind. We freaked out, and she cried. Fortunately, we used a combination of baking soda, mayonnaise, and then toothpaste (with baking soda), and it worked. We think it was the toothpaste with baking soda that worked best. Awesome. Thank you!

By joey b from NY

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I tried using a white towel and an iron. While the stain got lighter it didn't go away. So I tried a brown paper bag and an iron and 2 swipes later they were gone completely! Amazed! (01/09/2011)

By residential cleaner

Iron marks on my dining table made white heat patches on the varnish. Any ideas?

By Bronee from Melbourne Australia

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

OMG! We have had this old (over 100 years old) mahogany table forever. It has always had an ugly white mark on it from someone setting something hot on it so I always have a table cloth on it. Well, my husband and I tried the hot iron trick with the old t-shirt over the white spot and it took about 4 or 5 swipes with the iron and the white spot disappeared. Thank you so much for the tip it works great! (11/18/2009)

By Leslie6527

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just wanted to add our voices to the chorus of praises for the iron and white t-shirt technique. Worked like magic. Just do what Dad and Brian did in their video. Yay! (01/28/2010)

By fredshan

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I used the magic remover sponge and it worked great! Thanks to all for this idea. (02/04/2010)

By Minnow

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Bronee, Were you able to fix the iron mark? Please let me know. I have a table that needs similar fix.
Thanks, HK (02/20/2010)

By hemaram

White Heat Marks on a Oak Wood Table

Okay, I tried the Liquid Gold. Didn't work for me. I then tried Dry iron and white t-shirt. Didn't work for me. I have also tried Mayo, ash, toothpaste. Did not work for me.

I tried (although skeptical) the white t-shirt and steam iron and found you must wipe hard in direction of wood grain as soon as you move the shirt off the marks, as you are moving wax buildup that you can actually feel. It did work for me! Future Hint: Do not use paper plates on wood table ever! (02/20/2010)

By Katiekatie1954

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I am a cynic by nature, but my French polished table was in such a dire state that there was nothing to lose. I am astonished! The tee shirt and steam iron method (low steam and moderate heat. Keep it moving) worked more quickly than expected and achieved absolute perfection. It looks as though it has been re-polished. Thank you so much. I'd never have believed that such a simple trick would give a result like this. (03/08/2010)

By brownams

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Wow I can't believe how good this idea worked. Amazing. Thank you so much. (04/11/2010)

By mwwallace

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I read so many tips, but it really stuck out to me when people were stating the hair drier wasn't hot enough. I just used a heat gun for embossing and crafting, and it was amazing! The marks vanished right before my eyes. (06/18/2010)

By cinderella12977

I need help removing ironing marks from a wood table top. They look similar to water marked furniture. Any ideas?

How do I remove white heat marks off a black ash dining table?

I have heat marks on my table. Does the remedy using baking soda and mayo scrub off the varnish since the baking soda is rough? I don't know what kind of varnish was used on this table.

What is the best way to remove white rings/marks from finished wood surfaces (other than ironing)? Thanks.

I tried to remove water marks from a wood table and ended up with the white impression of the iron. What do you suggest?

Is there anyway to remove this white ring from my coffee table? I am pretty sure it was caused by my son setting something hot on it, like a bowl of soup.

I have a light colored wooden Ash dining table with white spots. I tried Mayo, cigarette ash, and a steam iron but nothing works.

How do you remove white heat marks from a mahogany table?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

A hot dish was placed on wood table and left a white mark. I need to remove the mark without damaging finish, if possible.

Does anyone know how to get white heat marks off a wood table? I've tried mayonnaise- let it sit and rubbed it in a bit. My Grandmother told me to try a product called liquid gold, but I can 't find it anywhere.