Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Smoke Smell From Carpets

Cigarette smoke smell can permeate many locations in your house, especially the carpet. This is a guide about removing smoke smell from carpets.

We have recently moved into an new house. The previous owners were smokers. We don't have the money to replace the carpets at this time. What would be the best and cheapest way to get the smoke smell out of the carpets?

Thank you,
Jennifer from Texas

Best Answer

Use baking soda, boxes and boxes, cover thoroughly, on the carpet;let it sink in for days. Sweep or rake the baking soda in the carpet, then vacuum thoroughly.

For the odor around you, set out open bowls of cheap white vinegar, not where you can spill them, and leave around to freshen the air.

Best Answer

The smoke smell in most likely in more than just the carpets. You have to clean all the surfaces including cabinets inside and out. Change the HVAC filters. There are many smoke neutralizers that will take care of the smell. Janitorial supply places will have the same type of stuff that Stanley Steemer used in the above post - for alot less then $150. The one that has worked for me, I'm a carpet cleaner is Get the Smoke Out.

Hi Jennifer,

We are considering buying a house from a smoker, and we would love to hear what you have to say about your house. Whether you were able to remove all smoking odor or it is still around. thanks. (migelito @ hotmail . com)

My fiance and I just bought a house with awful smoke odor. We have tried everything, shampooing, baking soda, cleaning the air vents, airing it out. We have a professional guy working on it now and should be coming back again tomorrow, but still when you walk in the door the smell is overpowering. Which is really sad...it's a very nice house. Not only did they smoke, they had large dogs in the back room who they let urinate. If I had it to do over again, I would have to think twice.

Hey my brother had the same problem he used snuggle fabric softner mixed with something i don't know yet. dipped in a sock hung it up in every room over night. took it out completely. I am trying to find the other ingredient, because i to am now in the same situation. if i find it ill let you know. good luck!

I once had a family of skunks living under my house. The babies play by spraying each other. Once critter control removed the skunks, I spent days trying to get the skunk smell out. ODOBAN (bought at Sams club) worked the best for me. I used it in a carpet cleaner insted of the solution. It got out all the skunk odor.

This stuff works great for everything! Also, natures Miracle (found at petstores) is pretty good.

Use Nature's AIR SPONGE, available on line and at Ace, True Value and Do it Best Hardware stores. It will remove all traces of odor

My husband just quit smoking (38 years). Until then he was smoking in the recreation room in the basement. I steam cleaned this week adding a product (can be any brand) that says 'pet deodorizer'. When I ran out of that I added 1/4 cup of bleach per gallon of water plus the normal cleaner. It worked!! Don't forget to clean the walls and windows. Those have smoke on them too!

I've been in a apartment for a month. The smoke smell is still there, even when you walk in you can smell a "hint" of smoke. I'm sick of my clothes smelling like that too! So I complained to the property manager, and they told me to wait and see if i can air it out. I'm just concerned it's a health issue since my son has asthma. I find myself spraying Febreeze everyday on my walls, carpet, etc.

I guess TIME is of essence. the walls/ceilings i believe were not deodorized but painted over. so, what should I do? I guess I should invest money that I feel the property management should have taken care of in the first place and hire a professional cleaner?

Lesson learned, the minute you smell smoke in a place you want to buy or rent, I would think twice before moving in! It will cost you in the long run.

Please be aware the Febreeze can exacerbate asthma symptoms. It doesn't remove odours, it just makes it so you can't smell them.

Cigarette Smoke Odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a House
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 1, 2017
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:49:55 PM on 10.0.0.154 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.