Sausage Pepper Ziti

Here's a quick, easy and cheap pasta recipe that can be frozen, and is perfect for these cooler days and nights.

• 1 lb. box of Ziti
  • Ad
  • 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
  • 2 26 oz. jars pasta sauce, any flavor
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup of any color sweet pepper you prefer, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta as package directs; drain. In a large bowl, combine ziti, sausage, sauce and 2 cups of the cheese. Mix well. Turn into a lightly greased 5 quart shallow baking pan, cover. Bake 35 minutes until hot and bubbly. Uncover, top with remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.

Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Special Notes: I use bulk turkey ($1 a lb., frozen) instead of sausage, and season it with Italian seasoning (from the Dollar Store). I buy any sauce that's a real bargain. Sometimes I can get 26 oz. for one dollar! Use store brand mozzarella and pasta. I buy a bag of frozen peppers and onions, intended for fajitas, for $1.29, chop some of them up and throw them in instead of fresh. Also, west Michigan has no idea what ziti is, so I use rainbow or whole grain twists, instead.

I usually make one full recipe in two pans and freeze one. Otherwise, there's just too many servings for only me. I make them in foil pans, using foil to cover them, so if I want to give it to someone who is sick or just needs a lift, I don't worry about the pan. Maybe one of your neighbors makes a dish that you particularly like. Each of you make two of each and swap one! It keeps the taste buds happier.

By Polly from Cedar Springs, MI

Baked Ziti Recipes
Baked Ziti Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PastasOctober 22, 2008
Brazilian Pepper Tree
Getting Rid of a Brazilian Pepper Tree
Spicy Soup With Peppers
Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Glass rectangular pan on baked ziti cooling on electric stove top
Cheesy Baked Ziti Recipes