Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer

Please help. I would like recipes using dry powered milk to make coffee creamer not the liquid, but the dry coffee creamer. Many thanks.

God bless!

Liz

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By mhill2852501/05/2014

Hi thrifty people! While searching for an easy homemade recipe for coffee creamer, I ran across this page:

http://www.couponcloset.net/homemade-powdered-coffee-creamer/ which provides the following recipe:

Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer (Save 50% or more)
1 Cup Powdered Milk
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil

Mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly drizzle the melted coconut oil over the dry ingredients.

My daughter is a massage therapist and she educated me as to the benefits of coconut oil. It is very good for us both internally and externally. The following page expounds on these benefits. I have included the information below the link. http://www.coconutmagic.com/the-incredible-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil

Coconut oil makes you look good and feel good, whats not to love? Used both internally and externally coconut oil:

Adults take 2- 4 tablespoons daily and children take 2 teaspoons every morning.

-Boosts Energy Levels and Helps Chronic Fatigue
-Coconut oil is metabolized and converted by the liver directly into energy
-Maintains Healthy Food Nutrients and is the Best Choice for Healthy Cooking
-Coconut oil is a highly stable fat that does not oxidize when heated making it a very safe
and healthy cooking oil.
-Increases Metabolic Rate and Leads to Weight Loss
-Coconut oil increases your metabolism so you burn more KJ's which leads to natural and healthy weight loss.
-Supports Immune Function by Killing Disease Causing Bacteria, Fungi and Viruses
-The MCFAs in coconut oil offer antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
-Supports and Improves Symptoms of Digestive Disorders
-Coconut oil possesses a gastrointestinal antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.
-Creates Radiant Skin  As an Antioxidant it Reversing Free Radical Damage
-Coconut oil provides fat-soluble vitamins, minerals and super nutrition factors to damaged tissue.
-Is a Beauty Elixir  Excellent as a Skin and Hair moisturizer
-Coconut oil nourishes, moisturizes and protects your hair and skin by replenishing the bodys natural oils (Sebum).
-Helps Reduce Sugar Cravings and Balance Blood Sugar
-People using coconut oil have noticed their ability to go without food for longer without symptoms of hypoglycemia and with less cravings and feelings of satisfaction.
-Supports Healthy Thyroid Function and Hormone Balance
-Regular consumption of coconut oil restores thyroid function by assisting the hormones transport to the cells.

Oil Pulling is a Simple and Effective Way to Detox Your Body, an ancient Ayurvedic health tradition which involves using the oil as a mouth wash and spitting it out. The fat enzymes in the oil literally pull toxins, pus and bacteria from the body. It also whitens the teeth.

When first taking Virgin Coconut Oil start with 1 tbsp. with each meal. Some people experience loose bowel movements for a few days (this may be a sign of intestinal fungal infection or candidiasis as it is being destroyed). For those with a sensitive taste or stomach it may be helpful to mix with tea, juice, yogurt or add to some food such as oats, nuts and seeds.

Virgin Coconut Oil is both safe and recommended for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs)

Fats are chains of carbon atoms that are surrounded by hydrogen. The more hydrogen the more saturation and the more stable the molecular structure.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat that consists primarily of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). The MCFAs in coconut oil possess incredible health-giving properties. Other than coconut oil these MCFAs can only be naturally found in mothers breast milk. This is what gives coconut oil its reputation as The breast milk of mother nature.

The shorter MCFA chains require less energy and fewer enzymes to digest. For most people, coconut oil can be emulsified during digestion without burdening the gall bladder or liver. Unlike animal fats it is also friendly for the kidneys and can help dissolve kidney stones. Thus, coconut oil provides more energy more quickly than other fat sources.

People who suffer from poor digestion, especially liver or gall bladder problems would benefit more by using coconut oil rather than other oils in their diet.

Immune System Enhancing Properties  MCFA

Coconut oil contains the following MCFAs:
Caprylic acid C8
Capric acid C10
Lauric acid C12
Myristic Acid C14

Each of these contain antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Lauric acid has the greatest antiviral activity. Caprylic acid is the most potent yeast fighting substance.

Research says that MCFAs disrupt the lipid membranes of viruses, bacteria, yeast and fungi because their membranes are both very similar. This confuses the microbes and viruses causing them to weaken and become easy prey to white blood cells, which in turn strengthens the bodys immune system.

Those who suffer from candida and other fungal infections may greatly benefit from coconut oil. Psoriasis and eczema are actually skin infections caused by a fungus and can be helped by applying coconut oil topically.

Cholesterol

Much of the mass media claims that saturated fats lead to clogging of the arteries and cholesterol problems, when in reality it is cooked unsaturated fats (commercial and vegetable oils), bad calcium, and foreign cholesterol from eating animal products that constitutes arterial plaque.

Coconut oil contains no cholesterol and may actually help lower cholesterol levels. People from areas in the world that have a staple base of coconut in their diet have consistently lower levels of cholesterol than those that dont.

The cholesterol-lowering properties of coconut oil are a direct result of its ability to stimulate thyroid function. In the presence of adequate thyroid hormone cholesterol is converted into necessary anti-aging steroids.

Dr. Raymond Peat who is a leading researcher in hormone health, details how coconut oil, when added regularly to a balanced diet, lowers cholesterol to normal by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone. Dr Peat recommends increasing pregnenolone for women with hormone imbalances.

Pregnenolone improves circulation in the skin, gives the face a lift, restores sagging skin, and restores bags under the eyes by promoting the contractions of muscle like cells. Pregnenolone counters fatigue, enhances memory, protects the nerves from stress, and has anti anxiety properties.

Antioxidants
Research has also indicated that coconut oil may in itself have antioxidant properties, since the oil is highly stable and reduces our need for vitamin E, whereas unsaturated oils increase our need for vitamin E. Coconut oil is known to produce pregnenolone, an anti aging steroid produced naturally by the body and pregnenolone is an antioxidant.

Side Note: In wanting to make sure about this since I was not familiar with pregnenolone I searched for coconut oil and pregnenolone and found the following page referencing the Dr. Oz Show: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surprising-health-benefits-coconut-oil

Coconutmagic.com continues with - Thyroid and Weight Loss
Cooked unsaturated oils suppress the metabolism, contributing to hypothyroidism and weight gain. Bad oils not only suppress our tissues response to the thyroid hormone, they also suppress transport of the hormone on the thyroid-transport protein.

Consuming coconut oil regularly restores thyroid function, may help relieve thyroid function, and actually increases the metabolic rate leading to weight loss.

Blood Sugar
One of the most noticeable affect for people when they start consuming coconut oil regularly is the ability to go for several hours without eating, and having feelings of hunger without the symptoms of hypoglycemia and erratic blood sugar levels. Erratic blood sugar stresses the system and calls in the need of adrenal glands.

Shifting to coconut oil as a major source of our fat and energy normalizes blood sugar levels, increases energy, decreases the stress on our system, and thus reduces our need for the adrenal hormones, and removes the effects of adrenal stress.

Cooking
Coconut oil is the most stable of any oil or butter and can be heated to very high temperatures. Therefore if you are going to heat food, coconut oil is the healthiest and wisest choice for cooking. Unlike other fats and oils coconut oil when heated does not form dangerous trans fatty acids because it is a completely saturated fat.

Simply making the simple switch to using coconut oil for all of your cooking needs can have tremendous beneficial affects to your overall health and energy levels.

* reference David Wolfe, Eating for Beauty

By missy [3]09/02/2011

I should add that in my ratios, I used about 2 cups of skim milk powder, about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and then the 3 teaspoonfuls of melted coconut oil. Use less oil if you are making less. A good rule is to use 1 teaspoonful if making a much smaller batch to 3 teaspoonfuls if you are making this size of batch. Thanks!

By missy [3]09/02/2011

It's very easy to make a good, dairy-powdered creamer. The secret is to add some fat to get the same mouth-feel you expect from, say, half and half or cream. I don't prefer this recipe over straight cream, but it's a good substitute if you run out, is shelf-stable and versatile. Use it also for making cocoa, chai and other mixes.

8 parts part skim milk powder
1-2 parts powdered sugar (I don't like my coffee at all sweet, so you can use even less, but there is a little sweetness in natural cream)
3 cereal spoonfuls of coconut oil, melted (I stick the glass jar in micro for a few seconds)

Combine first two ingredients in a bowl with a fork. Slowly add coconut oil, drizzling it over the top with a spoon. Mix well with a fork. There should be no clumps. Store in a jar with a lid in the pantry. To use, try a few spoonfuls in a cup then add your coffee while stirring until you get the color/flavor you want. The oil adds the mouthfeel that you expect from cream. Coconut oil is a healthy fat as well. It stays solid in the powder mix but will melt into your coffee as soon as you pour it. I would make mine with less sugar next time, but I would say 1 part sugar to 8 parts milk powder is about right :-) Enjoy

By Pat [11]04/11/2011

Orange Coffee Creamer
3/4 cup sugar 1 cup nonfat dry milk 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel

Cafe Vienna
3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup dry milk 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cinnamon Coffee Creamer
2/3 cup sugar 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cappuccino Coffee Creamer
1 cup hot cocoa mix 3/4 cup dry non-dairy creamer 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Mocha Coffee Creamer
1 cup sugar 2 cups nonfat dry milk 4 teaspoons cocoa

By Lynn Thomas [1]04/08/2011

I've been using nonfat powdered milk for years. It doesn't have many calories and no fat or sugar. I use about two to three teaspoons per cup of coffee. I use sweet n low for sweetener and since it loses it's sweetness if the coffee is too hot, I add a dash of cold water to the cup before adding the sweet n low and the milk. I also add 1 eye dropper drop of french vanilla extract or almond or even brandy sometimes. Cheap specialty coffee flavor.

By Anonymous [848]04/08/2011

You can use powdered milk by itself but it will not taste as creamy sweet because of the general low fat content of milk. Even whole milk has far less fat content than cream does. Try experimenting adding powdered sugar to the powdered milk. Some people like equal ratio's while others like 1/2 sugar to milk ratio and others like an even smaller ratios of sugar. Once you find the ratio you like you can also add flavorings like ground cinnamon, or ground nutmeg, or ground vanilla bean, etc. to taste.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]04/06/2011

You don't need a special recipe. Just pour some dry milk from of the box into a small covered dish. Scoop out what you need and stir into a cup of hot coffee, as you would sugar. Works the same way, I've done it.

My husband and I recently started drinking our coffee black, so now we don't use either cream or sugar.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer

After running out of my store purchased coffee creamer, I looked for alternatives and I combined several ideas to make a great powder coffee creamer. By adding other items like cocoa, other sugars, or spices you can develop additional flavors.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1/2 cup powdered milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Directions

Put the rice in a blender for 5 minutes on highest setting to form a powder. Add the milk and sugar and again blend for only a few minutes.

I had some concerns using sugar as I do not like sugar in my coffee, but I was surprised to find that I could not taste the sugar. I was looking for something as close to "CoffeeMate" as I can get. It also appears to somewhat reduce the acid content of the coffee. I hope you enjoy it as I do

Source: I did not find this exact recipe on any site, but it is a modification/combination of several others I found on "tastofhome.com" and "hubpages.com".

By Bruce from Evergreen, CO

RE: Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer

Nice idea, but it doesn't work. The rice does not dissolve, it settles at the bottom of your coffee. You end up with this gluppy substance. I also tasted the sugar. I normally don't drink sweet coffee. Sorry this didn't work. (04/09/2009)

By lildinks

How do I make my own coffee creamer?

By June from Sarasota, FL

RE: Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer

Powdered dry milk works the same as buying the coffee creamers. Read the label on a jar of coffee creamer and you will be surprised to find the chemicals used to make it. (12/26/2009)

By MCW

RE: Homemade Powdered Coffee Creamer

Powdered dry milk and your flavor of choice, i.e. cinnamon or dry cocoa mix. (12/26/2009)

By MartyD