Make an Extension Cord Keeper

• small plastic pail
  • 2 inch paint roller handle
  • an extension cord

Directions:

1. Measure on bucket high enough for the handle to turn without scraping the floor. Fit the ends into the holes you may need to remove the plastic handle, insert, then reattach to outside).

2. Then make two more holes on opposite sides of the bucket to poke cord through near bottom.

3. Weave a short section of cord through tines of the paint roller to secure. Then place the male plug end through one of the holes. The female end goes out the other hole.

4. When used, plug into power source, pull other end out for use (the roller will spin releasing cord).

5. When done, use handle to crank the cord back up like turning an old-fashioned ice cream maker, unplug and carry away to next job. No tangles and no kinks.

By trace from Wartburg, TN

A picture would really helpto"get" this idea(please).

It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm having trouble visualizing this. Could you post some photos showing how it's done? Thanks.

Three years on from when this tip was posted and am so glad ThriftyFun reposted it!

I had no trouble at all visualising the bucket, handle, and how it works but I wonder if it wouldn't be a very good idea to blunt the roller 'blades' with duct tape to prevent crimping or even cutting the power cord whilst cranking.

I know my inclination will be to try and get a good tight fit of the cord on the roller-I would be cranking extra hard and probably putting a lot of stress on the power cord. So I worry that the first few turns might damage the cord if the roller blades are sharp edged. Blunting that edge with duct tape might be the answer.

We do a lot of DIY in this house, have several extension cords, buckets, and oh hey, we even have spare paint rollers! I think we'll be giving this one a go:)

I am totally confused and, yes, a picture would help. Somehow I doubt I will ever see a picture as "captario" has asked for one on 4/17/09

I am also a little confused. I think a picture of the finished product would make it more understandable.

Just a little confused, here. Please post a picture. Sounds like a great idea, though!

If you can't figure out how to use the paint roller for a winder, you can always do this.

http://www.ehow  d-reel-home.html