Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Can You Freeze Crisco?

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Has anyone ever tried freezing Crisco vegetable shortening? I have a huge can of it and don't want it to go bad.

By Kay from IN

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By KL 3 554 12/28/2009 Flag

I have never tried to freeze it. But I do keep mine in the fridge if it is getting near the exp date or summer is coming as I don't use it often and did have one go rancid in the cupboard once. Just make sure to let it come to room temp before using.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 12/28/2009 Flag

It can be kept at room temperature, but for longer storage, it can be frozen or at least should be kept in the fridge, especially if it's not used regularly. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Donna J. Cole 2 34 12/29/2009 Flag

Yes you can freeze crisco. It keeps it fresh. Just take it out long enough before using to let it thaw some. It is hard to take out of the can when it is frozen. You can refreeze it, it doesn't hurt it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dena Roberts 35 491 12/29/2009 Flag

If freezing a large amount, you might try portioning it out into whatever quantities your recipes call for, such as 1 cup, 1/2 cup, etc., and freezing the portions in individual containers, such as margarine tubs. Then you don't have to thaw the whole large container out just to get 1 cup of Crisco. Be sure to label your containers as to what is in them and the date it was frozen on.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judith Ardis 22 12/29/2009 Flag

I don't know about freezing, but I keep mine in the refrigerator because I don't use it very often. Seems to work just fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kayrayriggs 6 44 12/30/2009 Flag

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try freezing it in 1 and 1/2 cup measurements - great idea!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By feekie 1 6 10/22/2014 Flag

I actually wanted to know if I could freeze Crisco, because I use it so seldom that it frequently goes rancid in my cabinet. To my good fortune, google led me to this wonderful website! Now I know where to find the answer to my next culinary question!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes