AdviceCrafts

Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

As kids we used to hammer 4 small nails into a cotton reel to form 4 corners of a square around the hole. We attached a line of cotton wool to the pins and through the hole and by continuously using a "sewing process" we would produce a rope-like length of cotton wool. Any reminders please?

Peter from Kent, UK

The knifty knitter sets that they sell in craft store and your local wal-marts are similar but not so restricted in what you can make. I taught a young 6 yr old how to make a snow hat in no time.

www.kniftyknitter.com I think is the website.

Good Luck, happy crafting!

All you have to do is do a search for how to use a "Spool Knitter" and you will find instructions and how to make one from a spool from thread. Here is one I just found by using this method. It shows a store bought knitter, but this can adapt to any spool knitter . Hope this helps you.

http://www.knit  s/spool-knit.htm

Those were the days! It's hard to find a wooden spool anymore,but now they make plastic spool knitters. I've seen them at Walmart. I use a crochet hook now, but in the "olden days" we used a bent horseshoe nail. Maybe that's tied in to the Horse Range name. I started a scatter rug years ago and have never finished it. It was a good way to use up odd bits of leftover yarn.

Ahh-the memories. My pap-pap made each of us one--and 40 years later I still have mine. He's gone now but I smile every time I see it.

Thanks to each of you for responding. Didn't realise that this kid's craft was being used on the other side of the pond too all those years ago. Showed your feedback to my sister and we both remenisced about the winter nights we sat beside the fire with our brothers and sisters using these simple tools. I'm now going to pass this info on to one of my grand-daughters and, who knows, maybe she might get some of the pleasures that you and i had as kids too?

many thanks.

In Scotland we called it a "catties tailie", it kept little hands busy for hours.