Freezing Pumpkins

Freezing pumpkins allows you to use them as an ingredient throughout the year. When thawed, the pumpkin can be used in many recipes like pies and soups. This is a guide about freezing pumpkins.

November 18, 2012 Flag

Can I freeze uncooked cubed pumpkin?

By Rosie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No because it going to be hard to cook it.

And it will be rough.

October 29, 2004 Flag

My husband and I bought some extra pumpkins for this Halloween season. We carved one but will use the other others to eat. Of course we'll roast the seeds.

Does anybody know what is the best and easiest way of cooking a pumpkin so that I will have pumpkin puree/mix for future pumpkin pies?

I plan on packaging and freezing extras and using them for pies in the future. Methods of cooking and duration of cooking time tips would be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I find the easiest way is to bake the Pumpkin. First my husband cuts them into large chunks. Then I put them on a foil covered baking sheet with sides & bake at 325°F

for about an hour.(this depends on the thickness of the pumpkin & the size of the chunks) Just bake until tender. Then let cool for a bit and scrape the pulp our with a large spoon. Then whirl in the food processor in small batches until it resembles the pumpkin you buy in the can. If it is too wet, drain it before you package it for the freezer.

ps - package in amounts that your favorite recipes call for.

Cut your pumpkin in half and deseed. Faster than the oven.....place some plastic wrap over each half and cook on high in the microwave for about 7 minutes per side. The microwave does not dry it out like the oven will. Puree and freeze in amounts you need for your favorite pumpkin muffin, cheesecake or pie.

thanks everybody for your great tips!

I wouldn't use carving pumpkins for things like pumpkin pie. The flesh is really too tasteless. The best for pumpkin pies, etc, is a sugar, or pie, pumpkin. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy bits and place cut-side down in a baking dish and bake at 350 until the flesh is soft. Scoop out the pulp to use. I've found that one average-size pie pumpkin will yield enough puree for 2 pies, or the equivalent of 2 small cans of pumpkin. Good luck!

Camilla

Has anyone ever used a regular carving pumpkin?

You should make pumpkin doughnuts with an apple cider glaze! It sounds gross but they are really good! I don't know the recipe but I am sure that you can just type it in to google!

When you cook your pumpkin, you can just wash it and place on a cookie sheet, I use an old one and bake it like you would a bake potatoe in the oven, depending on the size, poke it with a fork if it goes in smoothly, then it is done, if not what a little longer and try again. I got this from a recipe book from the 20's it was given to my mother when she got married. I think she said its Meta Given, or gibbons?

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know if you can freeze those little miniature pumpkins and reuse them as decorations again next year? I bought two dozen of them and hate to throw them away. I've had them outside and they still seem to be ok.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you tried freezing them, and then thawed them out, they will turn to mush.

If you see that they are in good condition, you can cut them open, remove the seeds and boil them until they are soft like squash and make pumpin pies and bread.

Why don't you make some pumpkin bread and share it with family, friends and neighbors.

She's probably talking about those mini ornamental pumpkins which you cannot make any food out of to my knowledge. You can't freeze them either. We used to grow them in the garden and I just kept them in a basket as a decoration for as long as they'd last. They do last quite a while but eventually will start getting soft and even moldy and then it's time to pitch. I used to keep gords and the mini pumpkins long after the Fall so just enjoy them for as long as you can.

Not sure about freezing them, but here's a fun way to extend their use. After Thanksgiving spray paint them white, stack them up and decorate to look like snowmen!

I think freezing would retain too much moisture and damage the "tissue" of the pumpkin. BUT, has anyone tried to dry them on low heat or some other way, maybe like gourds?

If they are sugar pumpkins you can cut them in to remove the pumpkin seeds and put them on a baking sheet flesh side down, drizzle with olive oil, roast at 350 degree for 45 minutes until soft, puree and add no seasoning. Use to make pies, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup or any pumpkin recipe;remember that you control seasonings and herbs kin recipes with freshly roasted pumpkin.

July 11, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze whole pumpkins?

By Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I guess you can, but whole pumpkins take up lots of freezer space. It would make sense to remove the seeds and rind, cube the flesh and pack in freezer bags.

You probably can, but they would be soft and mushy when thawed. I have allowed whole pumpkins to freeze under the porch for my chickens and brought them in over night to thaw (in a bucket), so I cannot say how they taste. The chickens seemed to enjoy them though! If stored correctly, pumpkins will keep a long time without needing to freeze.

July 22, 2006 Flag

Selecting High-Quality Pumpkins:

Leave pumpkins on the vine until they are fully mature and are vibrant orange in color. They should appear firm and have a hard outer skin. Leave 1 inch of the stem on when you harvest to make pumpkins easier to handle.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash pumpkins and cut into quarter pieces or smaller for cooking. Scrape out the seeds with an ice cream scoop. Steam, bake or cook in boiling water until fully tender (45 to 60 minutes depending on size of pieces). Wearing gloves, remove hot pulp from the rind and mash with a potatoes masher or run it through a hand-cranked strainer.

Freezing Method(s):

Boilable Bags:

Pack warm pulp into 1-pint boilable freezer bags. Add butter and seasoning, if desired. Seal. Cool, pat bags dry and freeze.

Dry Packs:

Pack cooled pulp in suitable containers leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing asparagus includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0 F.

Thawing:

Defrost pulp in the refrigerator or microwave, or reheat in boilable bags.

Tips:

Prepare and freeze winter squash varieties using this same method.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 5, 2012 Flag

How do I freeze pumpkin?

By Stephanie G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peel pumpkin, cut in cubes, blanch in boiling water and drain all the water and fill in freezer bags or airtight containers, use when needed.

December 11, 2009 Flag

Here are some tips for freezing and using pumpkin.

By Dorty from SA

*Potjie pots are cast iron Dutch ovens from Africa.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJuly 11, 2011
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎉
🎄