Removing Burnt Grease from Copper Bottom Pans

Category Dishes
Grease can easily get burnt to the bottom of a copper pan. Burn stains like this can be very difficult to get out. This is a guide about removing burnt grease from copper bottom pans.

I am new at this and I have a question for the members. How do you remove burned on grease and crud from copper bottom cookware? It's burned on over a period of time and short of using a Dremel on it I have no clue how to clean. I have used everything from Oven Cleaner to just plain old elbow grease, which us old folks don't have much of most of the time.

Would appreciate any help with this problem you guys can shove my way.

Donna ( Zwerling )

Best Answer

Have you tried Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend? Both are found with the scouring powders at your grocery store, but are safer for the copper surface. Either one of them will also take that "elbow grease", but will give your "elbow" an assist!

Best Answer

Barkeeper's friend is great, and it also helps with rust spots too. A large can is under 80 cents at walmart and will last a long time!

Best Answer

I usually add baking soda with a small amount of water to make a runny paste, heat till boiling, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for a while and use a scraper to remove the burnt on part. I've also done it where I leave it on the burner after it boiles and just scrape a little later, add more water, boil, scrape, over and over. A few times and it's clean. I recently found another way by accident. I was cooking rice with chicken bouillon and forgot to remove the pan from the burner. The rice was too burnt tasting, and the bottom was too burnt. I covered it, and the next day the rice had softened all the burnt stuff off!

Best Answer

After burning my copper bottom pan yesterday and reading all the suggestions here, I decided to "first" try a non chemical way. I hate chemicals!

I put apple cider vinegar at the bottom of my pan, added hot water from the tap and let it sit. I had totally forgot about it all afternoon. By 5 P.M. which was roughly 4 hours later, my pan was clean! I rinsed it out and it looked all washed. So I washed it normally with detergent and bingo! Back on shelf!

Best Answer

There is a copper and stainless steel cleaner called revere. If you have a corningware store close to you. You can get it there. Also you can get it on Amazon.com: https://www.ama  r/dp/B00080QDV2/

Try boiling up malt vinegar in pot as this removes grease ,normally if hot let soak overnite then scrub with a paste of salt and vinegar or lemon juice and salt to remove any burn marks.

Kleen King is great for copper bottoms and stainless steel pans.

My question is, do the bottoms really need cleaning or is it just for looks?

Well, after reading the responses, I have Bar Keeper Friend a try on my RevereWare copper pans and it helped immensely!

I hadn't cleaned the bottom of them for close to 10 years, because I could no longer find the cream/paste that was sold exclusively for cleaning the copper bottoms. Over time, the copper tarnished and developed a build-up (I assume of tarnish + grease + whoknowswhat).

The bottoms are not 100%, but definitely much much better. Also, Bar Keepers Friend also helped with the stainless steel sides - brightening them up and removing baked-on grease. So, thank you all for your suggestions.

Anonymous

A cream will never clean a build up from not cleaning for a long time. In fact, unless it's lightly used, a powder is all that will bring it back to what it was originally

Are you cleaning the outside copper bottom or the inside bottom of the pot? My problem is the copper surface on the outside bottom.