Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Burnt Grease from Copper Bottom Pans

I am new at this and I have a question for the members. How do you remove burned on grease and crud from copper bottom cookware? It's burned on over a period of time and short of using a Dremel on it I have no clue how to clean. I have used everything from Oven Cleaner to just plain old elbow grease, which us old folks don't have much of most of the time.

Would appreciate any help with this problem you guys can shove my way.

Donna ( Zwerling )

By BarbNC07/29/2013

Well, after reading the responses, I have Bar Keeper Friend a try on my RevereWare copper pans and it helped immensely!

I hadn't cleaned the bottom of them for close to 10 years, because I could no longer find the cream/paste that was sold exclusively for cleaning the copper bottoms. Over time, the copper tarnished and developed a build-up (I assume of tarnish + grease + whoknowswhat).

The bottoms are not 100%, but definitely much much better. Also, Bar Keepers Friend also helped with the stainless steel sides - brightening them up and removing baked-on grease. So, thank you all for your suggestions.

By Ira (Guest Post)01/05/2008

Kleen King is great for copper bottoms and stainless steel pans.

My question is, do the bottoms really need cleaning or is it just for looks?

By (Guest Post)06/22/2007

Well after burning my copper bottom pan yesterday and reading all the suggestions here, I decided to "first" try a non chemical way! I hate chemicals! So i put apple cider vinegar at the bottom of my pan, added hot water from the tap and let it sit! I had totally forgot about it all afternoon. By 5 pm. which was roughly 4 hours later, my pan was clean, clean, clean. I rinsed it out and it looked all washed! So I washed it normally with detergent and bingo! Back on shelf!!!

By Kim (Guest Post)03/16/2006

I usually add baking soda with a small amount of water to make a runny paste, heat till boiling, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for a while and use a scraper to remove the burnt on part. I've also done it where I leave it on the burner after it boiles and just scrape a little later, add more water, boil, scrape, over and over. A few times and it's clean. I recently found another way by accident. I was cooking rice with chicken bouillon and forgot to remove the pan from the burner. The rice was too burnt tasting, and the bottom was too burnt. I covered it, and the next day the rice had softened all the burnt stuff off!

By Kelly [15]03/08/2006

Barkeeper's friend is great, and it also helps with rust spots too. A large can is under 80 cents at walmart and will last a long time!

By brent nz (Guest Post)03/03/2006

Try boiling up malt vinegar in pot as this removes grease ,normally if hot let soak overnite then scrub with a paste of salt and vinegar or lemon juice and salt to remove any burn marks.

By Jill (Guest Post)03/03/2006

Have you tried Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend? Both are found with the scouring powders at your grocery store, but are safer for the copper surface. Either one of them will also take that "elbow grease", but will give your "elbow" an assist!