AdviceFood Tips

Breaking a Coffee Shop Addiction

I am hooked on going to a particular coffee shop 2 X per day, on my way to work and sometime in the day. I spend $3.60 daily, which is way too much over a year to spend. I have tried making coffee at home, making coffee at work, using special mugs, special blends, etc. and I can't quit. I am otherwise frugal and this "lack of choice" is wasting my valuable resources. Anyone been through this?

By Helen

I like the Duncan Donuts brand of coffee you can buy at the store, the French Vanilla and the Hazelnut. You brew it at home. It costs a lot, like around ten or eleven dollars but when you make it at home it fills the house with the most delicious aroma. You could get McDonald's coffee a lot cheaper, if you have to go out and there are free refills.

Also, if you are just so in love with this place, just buy less there when you go. Unless it is Starbucks, that would save you some money. If it is really worth it to you, set aside the money for it. I usually will scrimp on some things to make up for other things.

I agree with the previous poster! Years ago I used to go to a coffee shop every morning, ordered a tall mocha and read the paper. Often I'd order a muffin to go along. It wasn't a cheap habit and when money got tight I agonised about it. I did like you and tried everything, but in the end I just accepted I really liked going out for coffee! It was the experience as much as the drink. It was an enjoyable part of my day, something I looked forward to.

I did comprimise though and started ordering a small basic coffee in place of my usual "bells and whistles" drink, and skipped the pastry. I also brought my own mug which saved a bit. Maybe you could see if there's some way to cut the cost without giving it up entirely? The little pleasures are important in life, too. :-)

Completely agree with Robyn and TapestryLady-sometimes you have to feed the soul:)

Going to a coffee shop is a habit, not an addiction. Habits can be formed or broken. You are in charge of your habits. Brushing your teeth is a habit. Putting on a seatbelt is a habit. It takes about two weeks, I believe from what I have read, to change a habit.

It is easier if you replace the habit with another one. This habit is costing you anywhere from $900 (using 250 days as "everyday") to $1315 (for 365 days). I don't know what you do for a living, but that is a pretty big chunk out of anyone's income if she is trying to be frugal.

You have likely worked those amounts out if you have realized that it is costing you too much. I would suggest that you try to figure out what is the big attraction with this place. Are you meeting friends there?

Replace going to the coffee shop with some other activity. - Phone a friend or your mom instead of stopping for coffee. Have coffee in the break room at work and visit with your co-workers. Use a thermos or a travel mug and stop in a park to have coffee on the way to work. Check your email at home with a coffee so there isn't time to stop for coffee on the way to work.

Just think of what you could do with an extra $1000 a year - several new outfits, a new TV, a laptop, a little vacation - there are many possibilities for that extra cash. Focus on that. And replace the coffee shop habit with something that costs next to nothing. Do it for two weeks, and you will have it beat.

I thought I'd chime in on this topic. We brew coffee at home every day; however I do enjoy going to a coffee shop from time to time. I really love coffee and just seems like a nice break for me to stop when I'm out running errands. Sometimes I only do the drive-thru. Since I only do it occasionally I do not see any harm in it since I enjoy it. It is hard for me to come up with ideas for gifts for me so my family knows I appreciate gift cards such as for Starbucks and McDonald's. I can make those cards last a long time too!

Perhaps Helen can make a compromise and go to the coffee shop half as much as she is now or maybe once a week. She can save money but still enjoy something that gives her pleasure.

Go a different way to work. Find a cheaper coffee shop. Go two times a week instead of every day. Or just stop going. Think of something you really want and put your coffee money in a jar every day and make your own coffee. Or just give in and go and spend your money.

Anonymous

What I did was use the same premise as the Smokenders program. Week one I cut out one purchase a week, on week two cut a second purchase a week and so on. However, I treated myself to one visit a week so I wouldn't panic and the funny thing is that after about two months I didn't even have the urge to do it at all.

Now when I purchase a coffee out it's only with a friend or family for a coffee or breakfast out to spend time together. Having those cups of coffee are now a truly special treat and saving money by making coffee at home to go feels special too.

If you are addicted to going coffee shop then you should visit the counselor who will help you to come out of this addiction. Last year I was also suffering from shopping addiction but after the counseling now I am free from this addiction. If you have an habit then it is not bad but if you have an addiction of any thing then it is not good for your health.

http://www.cont  opping-addiction