Making Flavored Coffee

Category Beverages
Make your own flavored coffee at home for a special treat and an inexpensive alternative to the coffee shop. This is a guide about making flavored coffee.

I love the Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee that is sold at this time of the year. But, drinking too many of them can really put a hole in my pocket!

So I made my own! When I brew coffee, I added a teaspoon ( or more) of Pumpkin Pie Spice to the coffee grounds! Turned out pretty good. Not quite the same, but close enough. And there was a whole pot of brewed pumpkin spice coffee for nearly next to nothing. I already had the spice in my cabinet, and was going to brew coffee anyway.

Your taste may require more spice than I did. Enjoy.

By Barb from East Tennessee

For a different coffee flavor, use candy flavoring oils. Just take your favorite flavoring oil and add it to the dry coffee grounds when you make a fresh pot of coffee. Only use one or two drops, because oils are strong. I like Irish Cream best. Just add cream or whipped cream, along with desired sweetener. No need to buy expensive flavored coffees, just use your candy flavoring!

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I don't know about you, but I hate paying the price of coffee lattes and chai tea lattes. They are around $3.50 for a medium or large. I now make them at home anytime I want one, simply by using a stick blender or wand. Or you could use a mixer to get that frothy topping.

I buy my favorite teas, french vanilla, black chai tea, or caramel black chai tea, or any favorite tea you would like. For coffee latte, use your leftover coffee, add vanilla extract and cinnamon or any spice you like. For both tea and coffee lattes I use liquid dairy flavored creamers. I buy the low fat and sugar free.

For tea latte, boil 1 cup of water in the microwave or tea kettle. Put the tea bag and sugar or any sweetener in your cup, add the boiling water. Let this steep for a few minutes. Take the tea bag out. Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla creamer. Pour this into a large cup. I always place this in the sink, because it sometimes spatters. And blend this for 1 full minute. Pour it back into the mug, you will have the frothy top, add a few sprinkles of cinnamon or nutmeg, whichever you like. I use pumpkin spice. Follow the same steps for coffee lattes, excluding the hot water.

Enjoy your lattes! Free of charge!

Make your own coffee flavoring syrups at home in any flavor you want (within reason - bacon flavor might not be a good choice in your coffee).

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1-2 tsp. flavoring of your choice*
  • Directions:

Put water and sugar in a kettle. Heat to boiling over medium high heat on your range top. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes (this washes sugar crystals off of the side of the pan and will cut down on crystallization). Stir in your flavoring, a teaspoon at first and add a little more at a time until it is as strong as you desire. Cool and put in a cute bottle or even vinegar carafe. Use this in your coffee to give it that coffee house flavoring. Yum.

It would be a good idea to store this in the refrigerator if you are not going to consume it all in one day - which you might, because it is so easy to make and so good that you will want to call all of your friends together to sample your genius cooking skills.

Sometimes I have to add up to a tablespoon of flavoring, depending on its strength. For super concentrated flavorings like Lorann, use only 1/8 teaspoon or a few drops at a time and taste after each addition.

*Vanilla and caramel flavoring are nice together. Rum and butter flavoring would be good too. So would almond and chocolate. Cinnamon and vanilla, raspberry and chocolate. Use what you have and get creative.

Servings: about 16
    Prep Time: 5 Minutes
    Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

Source: Just kind of figured this out after reading the ingredients on an expensive bottle of syrup.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

For another twist to your morning coffee, try adding small pieces of fresh orange rind and even add a bit of cocoa. It's a traditional flavor mix and a freebie if you have oranges every morning the way I do!

Instead of expensive flavoring for coffee, I bought a bottle of cinnamon sugar and sprinkle to taste in a cup of coffee. I also add different flavored extracts (rum, coconut, vanilla) to my coffee.

If you want just a little bit of a change to your morning cup of coffee, just sprinkle about a quarter teaspoon of "pumpkin pie spice" on top of the coffee in the basket and let it brew. It's yummy and also smells good. :-)

Love flavoured coffees but always have a few beans or grounds left at the end of the bag? Don't throw them out! Store the tablespoon or so in a container with a lid.

Recipe for Coffee Mixes Using Ground Coffee. Place coffee and nutmeg in a blender or food processor. With processor running, add extracts. Stop processor and scrape sides of container with a spatula. Process 10 seconds longer. Place mix in a bowl and stir in almonds. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

I love flavored coffee and was wondering if anyone had an inexpensive way to flavor just regular ground coffee. I know you can add cinnamon but I don't know how much to add or if you can add other stuff. So if you know please let me know, I would be ever so grateful.

By Soulegal from Three Rivers, MI

Answers

After I put the coffe grounds in the basket, I like to add a capful of vanilla...(French) I have lightly sprinkled cinnamon over the grounds... (Mexican). I have also used orange flavouring or dried orange zest sprinkled on the grounds. Another really tasty and easy mocha drink is to brew your coffee, put a package of instant hot chocolate in your cup, add just a little hot coffee and stir to a mud-like state and then fill with coffee. Some instant cocoa blends are better than others...try experimenting.

Add a little bit of extract (whatever flavor you like) to the brew basket. Experiment to find the flavors you like. You can also add a little bit of brown sugar to the pot before you brew the coffee. As the coffee brews, it will melt the brown sugar and you'll get a sort of toffee coffee.

Do you have a Smart and Final store in your area? They have rows of bottles of flavorings used in the trendy coffee/tea houses.Davinci Gourmet sugar free syrup is one,directions on the bottle. They were about $3.99 when I bought some.They were also sold at TJ Max for about $6.00. S&F had a much larger choice of flavors.And it a makes a really nice gift for people who like that kind of thing. Just put them in fancy cloth bags,available at the 99cent store. Happy coffee/tea drinking. GG Vi

I made flavored coffees just a couple of years ago for christmas I took one small can of coffee and add one whole bottle of Black Walnut Flaworing and half a bottle of Almond. I mixed it well and filled jars with it and let them set for a couple of weeks. Everyone that I gave them too raved. I don't drink coffee so I don't know but I figure I got to glass canisters from one can of coffee so the cost was about three dollars for the two canisters of flavored coffee.

I just started doing the cinnamon in our coffee. I began with just a little bit sprinkled on the grounds & with each pot added more till I reached the right amount of flavor that we liked.

For my 4 cup machine, I add approximately 1 - 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract to the dry grounds and then turn the machine on. Sometimes I add a few drops right into my mug instead (say, if I use a French Roast or anything other than regular).

Same goes for almost any flavored extract.

I buy whole bean coffee; when I grind it, I toss in toasted almonds and dried blueberries, then add a sprinkle of cinnamon (you can use a small piece of cinnamon stick or a few cloves) and brew. I also use dried orange zest or toasted hazelnuts and a bit of vanilla (I haven't tried using the vanilla bean itself yet). The flavor is not as intense as, say, flavored syrup, but I don't like the flavoring to overpower the coffee. I've used the ground coffee mixture in a drip-style coffee maker, a French press and a stovetop expresso maker (this last one gives the strongest flavor).

After putting ground coffee into the basket, I add 1/4 t. cocoa powder per cup of coffee I'm brewing and lightly mix it in. The cocoa enhances the coffee flavor without making it overly chocolate-tasting. You might find you prefer a little more or less cocoa if you add sugar or sweetener.

I need some simple quick recipes for flavored coffee? I am not wanting the flavored instant stuff they sell, but real coffee.

By Randa

Answers

If you like french vanilla coffee you can add a couple of drops of vanilla extract to the coffee pot before you brew your coffee. It's a great taste.

Anonymous

You could use a drop or two of almond, amaretto, hazelnut, orange, or vanilla extract or any other flavor your heart might desire to your regular coffee and tea.

You can also add a teaspoon (for 4 cup coffeemakers) or a tablespoon (for 8 cup coffeemakers) of cinnamon to your coffee grounds. Mix it up with the grounds before brewing.

You can add or reduce the amount to your taste after you brewed your first pot.

MaryAnn

For French Vanilla flavored coffee I mix coffee creamer with instant French Vanilla pudding mix. You can use the sugar free,fat free kind. Experiment with the amount of puddding mix to the creamer and adjust it to your taste. I make some as Christmas gifts. This way there is no oily residue in your coffee.

How Do you make a Wendy's Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty?

By TaniPaigi from Deltona, FL

Answers

http://wendys.c  &product=355

I don't think the OP wanted to know how Wendy's does it. I searched and found this, so maybe you can add some cold coffee or even instant coffee to it to get the coffee flavor.And top off with bits of toffee candy or whirl them I guess :) I copied this from grouprecipes.com Hope it helps~

* 1 C. milk
* 1/2 C. Nestle's Quik
* 4 C. vanilla ice cream, softened

Directions
1. Blend milk and Quik for 10 seconds on high speed of blender.
2. Pulse in the ice cream until barely mixed. Mixture should be very
3. thick. Freeze for at least an hour before serving.

One word...okay three: Ben and Jerry's.

Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath® Bar Crunch. Dump some in a blender, add milk to your desired consistency, enjoy.

Ounce per ounce B & J's isn't cheap but then you aren't saddled with ingredients like a coffee syrup (you can find in many grocery stores) you will only use a few times. It serves double duty - as is or as a shake.

If that's not an option, vanilla ice cream, coffee syrup (or very chilled espresso), milk and chopped up Heath or Skor toffee bars...in a blender.

I love this stuff. As pictured - I had it on my patio for breakfast last summer. Dang, I would love some right now.

Instead of buying flavored creamers, which are really expensive whether fluid or powdered, use a drop or two of almond, amaretto, hazelnut, orange, or vanilla extract or any other flavor your heart might desire to your regular creamed coffee and tea.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Homemade Flavored Coffee

I also sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on mine and always a pinch of salt, helps take out the bitter! (06/09/2010)

By michawnpita

How do you make flavored coffee? Like Hazelnut, Vanilla, etc.

By cajunangel from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Homemade Flavored Coffee

Here are a few I have made and tried! On how to spice up standard old instant coffee. Combine a teaspoon or two of the mixes below with a mug of hot water and enjoy your very own flavored coffees:

Bavarian Mint Coffee

• 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. dried mint leaves
  • 2/3 cup non-dairy creamer

Cafe L'Orange

• 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. crushed dried orange peel
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cinnamon and Spice Coffee

• 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice

Brown Sugar Delight

• 1 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup non-dairy creamer
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Swiss Mocha
  • 1 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups nonfat dry milk
  • 4 tsp. cocoa powder

Cafe Mocha

• 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup non-dairy creamer
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
All of the above mixes can be premixed and stored indefinitely. (10/20/2009)

By Diva53d

Instead of buying expensive flavored coffees, we buy basic coffee (for the coffee maker) and sprinkle cinnamon on top of the ground coffee before turning on the machine.

By Kay from Tamarac, FL

Answers:

Flavored Coffee Recipes

Put several of these flavored coffee recipes in a gift basket for a wonderful gift for a coffee lover.

Cafe Bavarian Mint Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powdered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 2 Tbsp. Powdered Baking Cocoa
  • 2 hard candy Peppermints

Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste.Spoon in cup and add hot water.

Cafe Cappuccino Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powdered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 1 Orange flavored piece of hard candy

Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste. Spoon in cup and add hot water

Cafe Viennese Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste. Spoon in cup and add hot water.
(06/05/2006)

By

How can I make really good coffee at home with flavored syrups? I want to discontinue using flavored coffee creamers and have tried the syrups. I can't figure out the ratio and exactly how to make it. I can't afford a home espresso machine. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Seeme

Answers:

Homemade Flavored Coffee

Buy the flavored syrups in both sugar and carb free version (Splenda) at

davincigourmet.com or

artisancoffeeroasters.com

If you have a local low carb store, these might be in stock there. Also, occasionally the bottles are available at TJ Maxx, The Home Store, and that type of store for a little less. They do not require refrigeration and last for years.

I use the no carb flavors as a base and a bright note. The base being vanilla or coconut and the bright note being amaretto, Irish cream, Kahlua, chocolate, etc. The companies have a lot of flavors and you probably won't know what to pick when you see their internet list. (04/16/2009)

By cookwie

Homemade Flavored Coffee

There are some recipes here: coffeemaven.com (04/19/2009)

By Anonymous

Homemade Flavored Coffee

I just go to spice rack and add; cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, and sometimes even pumpkin pie spice. I just add a few shakes here and there just to give my coffee a perk.

Sometimes when I am craving chocolate I just add some cocoa to my cup before I pour my coffee and it gives it a mocha flavor. I like to try things, good luck. (04/24/2009)

By meoowmom

Make your own flavored coffee! Simply add whatever extract you prefer to the pot prior to brewing. You can even add a bit of sugar to the filter with the grounds, or perhaps cocoa. Experiment and see what works for you. If you normally drink your coffee black, you might find that you prefer a bit of creamer and sweetener if you are going to flavor it. I enjoy a bit of vanilla extract in mine.

By Leann D

Answers:

Saving on Flavored Coffee

Flavored coffee is expensive, so I buy extracts: vanilla, rum, coconut, orange, etc. I add a half a teaspoon to my coffee and it's flavored. I also use cremora with my coffee, you need to add something sweet or else it's a little bitter. Save money doing this.

By annette (02/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Homemade Flavored Coffee

I buy flavored coffee for drip coffeemakers (hazelnut, vanilla). When measuring the coffee to make a pot, substitute about 1/3 to 1/2 of the flavored coffee in place of the regular/decaf. (ex: 1 scoop = use 1/3 scoop flavored & 2/3 scoop regular). Or measure w/ TBSP. Adjust for preference. The flavor is just strong enough, not bitter, no alcohol taste. I found we didn't care for full strength flavored anyway. Also found it tastes okay black. It's cheaper than the extracts, creamers & liqueurs sold for this. So far I've flavored 15 pots from just 1/2 an 11 oz. can of hazelnut that cost $3.00. We vary the strength of the flavor. (02/20/2005)