Ideas for a Dollar Yard Sale

I am thinking of doing a yard sale and marking just about everything at or under a dollar. Most items are office related, folders, binders, etc. and some household items and small toys. Thought if I did this the items would sell and quickly. I am also thinking if there are 100 items at one dollar = $100.00. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

By Robin C.

Where I live the only way that stuff would sell would be marked ten cents to twenty-five cents.

I think that is a great idea. If I saw an ad saying nothng over $1, that would be the first one I would go to.

It would totally depend on the value of the items you are selling, are they worth $1 at a yard sale? I would not pay $1 for a binder that I can get at Walmart for .97. If you bundled things so the value would reach $1, then you deal with folks who do not want 4 folders/binders. You could write out signs with the prices (Folders: .25each or 5 for $1) Either way, to sell the most you have to offer options and good prices.

No one attending your yard sale cares if it's easy for you to price/sell things that way. They simply want a good deal.

We did something similar when the youth group at church had a rummage sale. After a few hours when the big rush was over, we would have "fill a bag for $5". We all saved our plastic grocery and Wal Mart bags. Anything the customer could fit in the bag was a flat $5. This really helped get rid of things we would have had to find a home for after the sale.

Just make sure you have good signage. There have been a couple articles regarding yard sale signs here on Thrifty and they may be good for you to search for and read. I have been doing yardsale for 25+ years and the signs really make the difference.

I just had A $1.00 sale and decided to group things in large ziploc bags that I had received free. I took a group of five items that were similar such as pens and paper and sold as a bundle. I also had placemats and linen Napkin's in a bag. Everything was categorized with black sharpie. This was done after my one day sale of regular priced yard sale. I only ended up hauling a few things to a charity.