Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

Liz from New Baden

100% wool will shrink if not pre-shrunk already. I wouldn't put them in the dryer.

Liz, I wouldn't even try it! I had a wool vest and I washed it and it came out fine, but then I threw it into the dryer and it came out "doll" sized. I would take it to the dry cleaners and have it cleaned professionally.

I always wash wool blankets on "delicate" but never put them in the dryer. I hang them on the line and they come out just fine. This will save on dry cleaning. I do the same w/wool clothing.

If you have an air fluff setting (no heat) you could toss them in the dryer but any heat will shrink them.

Thank you all

IF you launder it in the machine, use gentle cycle & cold water w/ little detergent as blankets tend to over-suds. IF you put it in a dryer use NO HEAT what-so-ever, none, use the air fluff setting only. It will take a long time to air-fluff dry but it won't shrink. Also will help to remove odors & fight stiffness as will pouring a cup or two of white vinegar in with the rinse water. An alternate would be to air- fluff the blanket for a while then hang it over a shower rod to continue drying, or the reverse, hanging to dry then air fluffing to regain some softness so the blanket isn't stiff.

Not unless you want a baby blanket!

There is an article on "eHOW" to stretch shrunken wool, with readers post as to how it works

Wool shrinks from agitation. Cotton shrinks from heat. So putting them in a cold versus hot dryer could still shrink it if it's going to shrink (that is, if it's not pre-shrunk wool). Agitation in the washer could cause shrinkage too, so the delicate cycle or hand washing is safer.

Wool Blanket
Cleaning Wool Blankets
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsNovember 5, 2006
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
sheep wool dryer balls
Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
Close up of Steel Wool
Saving Money On Steel Wool
🎉
🎄