Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

Liz from New Baden

By

By Peggy (Guest Post)01/21/2009

Wool shrinks from agitation. Cotton shrinks from heat. So putting them in a cold versus hot dryer could still shrink it if it's going to shrink (that is, if it's not pre-shrunk wool). Agitation in the washer could cause shrinkage too, so the delicate cycle or hand washing is safer.

By Annette [10]11/13/2006

There is an article on "eHOW" to stretch shrunken wool, with readers post as to how it works

By (Guest Post)11/06/2006

Not unless you want a baby blanket!

By kidsNclutter11/06/2006

IF you launder it in the machine, use gentle cycle & cold water w/ little detergent as blankets tend to over-suds. IF you put it in a dryer use NO HEAT what-so-ever, none, use the air fluff setting only. It will take a long time to air-fluff dry but it won't shrink. Also will help to remove odors & fight stiffness as will pouring a cup or two of white vinegar in with the rinse water. An alternate would be to air- fluff the blanket for a while then hang it over a shower rod to continue drying, or the reverse, hanging to dry then air fluffing to regain some softness so the blanket isn't stiff.

By Liz (Guest Post)11/06/2006

Thank you all

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]11/06/2006

If you have an air fluff setting (no heat) you could toss them in the dryer but any heat will shrink them.

By Mary [2]11/06/2006

I always wash wool blankets on "delicate" but never put them in the dryer. I hang them on the line and they come out just fine. This will save on dry cleaning. I do the same w/wool clothing.

By Paula [14]11/06/2006

Liz, I wouldn't even try it! I had a wool vest and I washed it and it came out fine, but then I threw it into the dryer and it came out "doll" sized. I would take it to the dry cleaners and have it cleaned professionally.

By (Guest Post)11/06/2006

100% wool will shrink if not pre-shrunk already. I wouldn't put them in the dryer.