Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

By Liz Orr 9 25

Can you put wool blankets in the dryer?

Liz from New Baden

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

100% wool will shrink if not pre-shrunk already. I wouldn't put them in the dryer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Paula 14 328 Flag

Liz, I wouldn't even try it! I had a wool vest and I washed it and it came out fine, but then I threw it into the dryer and it came out "doll" sized. I would take it to the dry cleaners and have it cleaned professionally.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 2 19 Flag

I always wash wool blankets on "delicate" but never put them in the dryer. I hang them on the line and they come out just fine. This will save on dry cleaning. I do the same w/wool clothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

If you have an air fluff setting (no heat) you could toss them in the dryer but any heat will shrink them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thank you all

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kidsNclutter 188 Flag

IF you launder it in the machine, use gentle cycle & cold water w/ little detergent as blankets tend to over-suds. IF you put it in a dryer use NO HEAT what-so-ever, none, use the air fluff setting only. It will take a long time to air-fluff dry but it won't shrink. Also will help to remove odors & fight stiffness as will pouring a cup or two of white vinegar in with the rinse water. An alternate would be to air- fluff the blanket for a while then hang it over a shower rod to continue drying, or the reverse, hanging to dry then air fluffing to regain some softness so the blanket isn't stiff.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Not unless you want a baby blanket!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Annette 16 56 Flag

There is an article on "eHOW" to stretch shrunken wool, with readers post as to how it works

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Wool shrinks from agitation. Cotton shrinks from heat. So putting them in a cold versus hot dryer could still shrink it if it's going to shrink (that is, if it's not pre-shrunk wool). Agitation in the washer could cause shrinkage too, so the delicate cycle or hand washing is safer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Wool Blanket
Cleaning Wool Blankets
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsNovember 5, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Wool Blanket
Cleaning Wool Blankets
sheep wool dryer balls
Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
Knitted Sweaters
Stretching Shrunken Wool Garments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 5:28:48 PM on 10.0.1.67 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings