House Plants Get Covered in Sticky Webs

The problem I have is with houseplants, mostly ivy. It seems that after several months a sticky web forms over areas of the plant eventually to take it over. This also happened to one of my palms. I sprayed for aphids on one plant, but it died. (It could be I've applied too much.) On another I've used dish soap, still waiting for the results. Does anyone know what this is and how to prevent it? Thanks.

By Krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

It this is what I think it is, many, many years ago a florist told me it is spider mites. I can't remember what I was told to do for it. I more or less gave up on live plants and have much better luck with silk ones. lol

You take a house pest spray, put your plant in a large trash bag, Spray about 3 seconds into it, twist tie it shut and leave it a week. Make sure you have watered it before doing so, it would dry out. Also helps to change out soil. You can dump your soil into a metal baking pan and cook it for an hr at about 350 degrees to in order to ensure you have sterile soil to replant it with.

Sometimes I just take a plant outside and spray it with Raid Ant & Roach spray which I always have in the house since I live in FL. For my fruit trees, I use insecticidal soap.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJuly 29, 2010
Sticky Buns
Sticky Buns Recipes
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Spider Web
Photographing Spider Webs
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film