Browsing: Softening Hard Bagels

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Softening Hard Bagels

These boiled and baked breads can sometimes become hard on the outside. This guide is about softening hard bagels.

Hard Bagels
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 15, 2009 Flag

I made my first batch of bagels. They came out great on the inside (soft and chewy), but a little hard on the outside. From the recipe below, how can I modify it to make the outside softer? Thanks.

Recipe (makes 8 bagels)

Mix all in a bowl, knead for 10 minutes, cut into 8 balls. Let rest for 10 - 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll balls into bagel shape. Rest bagels for 20 minutes. Boil bagels for one minute on each side. Dry for one minute. Bake 10 minutes each side. Cool at least 20 minutes.

Thank you.

By John from Saint Augustine, FL

September 15, 2004 Flag

Every once in a while, I forget about the last bagel in the bag and it ends up as hard as a rock. I am tired of dipping them in soup; does anyone have an idea to make them soft?

Thank you!

Linda

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dampen with water and place in microwave or oven toaster or regular for a few minutes. This works well for biscuits or cornbread - bjm

To rejuvenate a "middle aged" ; ) bagel, I slice it in half and put it, cut side up in the steamer. Steam gently, just till warm/softened. If it feels a little wet for your taste, you can pop it in the broiler for a moment to crisp the toastable surfaces. I hope this helps : )

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your help.

My mother-in-law was visiting this weekend, and she told me to wrap the bagel in a paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds at half power, check to see if it is soft, and repeat as many times as it takes to get soft. This works with frozen bagels too, since I tried it this morning!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadMay 28, 2013
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
A variety of bagels.
Freezing Bagels
Bagels
Storing Bagels
Bagel with smoked salmon.
Recipes Using Bagels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 2:57:36 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.