Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Softening Hard Bagels

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Hard Bagels

These boiled and baked breads can sometimes become hard on the outside. This guide is about softening hard bagels.

Solutions: Softening Hard Bagels

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Making Bagels Softer on the Outside

I made my first batch of bagels. They came out great on the inside (soft and chewy), but a little hard on the outside. From the recipe below, how can I modify it to make the outside softer? Thanks.

Recipe (makes 8 bagels)

• 4 cups of bread flour
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1.5 Tbsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1.25 to 1.50 cups of warm water

Mix all in a bowl, knead for 10 minutes, cut into 8 balls. Let rest for 10 - 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll balls into bagel shape. Rest bagels for 20 minutes. Boil bagels for one minute on each side. Dry for one minute. Bake 10 minutes each side. Cool at least 20 minutes.

Thank you.

By John from Saint Augustine, FL

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Softening Hard Bagels.

Question: How do I soften hard bagels?

Every once in a while, I forget about the last bagel in the bag and it ends up as hard as a rock. I am tired of dipping them in soup; does anyone have an idea to make them soft?

Thank you!

Linda

Most Recent Answer

By Linda (Guest Post)09/19/2004

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your help.
My mother-in-law was visiting this weekend, and she told me to wrap the bagel in a paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds at half power, check to see if it is soft, and repeat as many times as it takes to get soft. This works with frozen bagels too, since I tried it this morning!