Softening a Hard Bagel?

I left a bagel in it's original bag since I bought it the other day; now it is as hard as a rock. How can I get it back to eating it as good as when I bought it. I hate when I do this, hopefully someone can help me out here.

Bronze Answer Medal for All Time! 155 Answers

Easy-peasy! Just brush the bagel with a little water all round and put in the microwave on full power for a few seconds. This tip will work with all kinds of bread.

Anonymous

This can also be accomplish by putting 1/2 cup water in microwave with bagel; one on each side of big plate not in the middle.

Anonymous

It didn't work, threw it in the trash.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

Soften with a little water and microwave a FEW seconds - but you can also add your butter if that is the way you eat them.

Just put in a microwave with a cup of water for one minute.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

I agree with everyone here. Mist the bagel. Then microwave until warm and soft.

Just a few seconds, like ten, in the microwave after misting. You can also steam them-wrap likely in waxed paper in put it in the steamer for 30-1 min. Or run under water until it gets a good soak and bake it in the oven for about five minutes on 350 degree. Stale bread can be done the same way.

I find the microwave the steaming to be the most impressive in front of others :) But, I have heard many remark of the baking as the most authentic bread rebirth-like fresh baked. If it's just me, a wet paper towel wrapped around dried bagel and 10-15 secs tops.

Sprinkle a little water on it, wrap up in a paper towel, and microwave it for a few seconds!

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts

wrap it in a damp pape rtowel and microwave for a few seconds.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 239 Posts

I find microwaving it is fine even without the water as long as it hasn't completely dried out. Try 10 seconds first then another 10 if it is still hard. Eat it immediately while it is still warm or it will go hard again.

This explains why bread goes stale and why warming it will make it soft again cooking.stackexchange.com/.../why-does-bread-soften-after-heating...

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 355 Posts

Same here, I lye a damp paper towel over and under a bagel when they get hard, and the moisture softens them in 20 seconds.

Boil water on stove and put splatter screen or strainer on top of it and steam the bagel

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 409 Answers

Wrap it in a paper towel and put it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it's soft.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadDecember 21, 2016
🍂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Softening-a-Hard-Bagel.html