Softening Hard Bagels

Category Bread
These boiled and baked breads can sometimes become hard on the outside. This guide is about softening hard bagels.

I made my first batch of bagels. They came out great on the inside (soft and chewy), but a little hard on the outside. From the recipe below, how can I modify it to make the outside softer? Thanks.

Recipe (makes 8 bagels)

Mix all in a bowl, knead for 10 minutes, cut into 8 balls. Let rest for 10 - 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll balls into bagel shape. Rest bagels for 20 minutes. Boil bagels for one minute on each side. Dry for one minute. Bake 10 minutes each side. Cool at least 20 minutes.

Thank you.

By John from Saint Augustine, FL

I left a bagel in it's original bag since I bought it the other day; now it is as hard as a rock. How can I get it back to eating it as good as when I bought it. I hate when I do this, hopefully someone can help me out here.

Answers

Easy-peasy! Just brush the bagel with a little water all round and put in the microwave on full power for a few seconds. This tip will work with all kinds of bread.

Soften with a little water and microwave a FEW seconds - but you can also add your butter if that is the way you eat them.

Just put in a microwave with a cup of water for one minute.

I agree with everyone here. Mist the bagel. Then microwave until warm and soft.

Just a few seconds, like ten, in the microwave after misting. You can also steam them-wrap likely in waxed paper in put it in the steamer for 30-1 min. Or run under water until it gets a good soak and bake it in the oven for about five minutes on 350 degree. Stale bread can be done the same way. I find the microwave the steaming to be the most impressive in front of others :) But, I have heard many remark of the baking as the most authentic bread rebirth-like fresh baked. If it's just me, a wet paper towel wrapped around dried bagel and 10-15 secs tops.

Sprinkle a little water on it, wrap up in a paper towel, and microwave it for a few seconds!

wrap it in a damp pape rtowel and microwave for a few seconds.

Anonymous

This can also be accomplish by putting 1/2 cup water in microwave with bagel; one on each side of big plate not in the middle.

I find microwaving it is fine even without the water as long as it hasn't completely dried out. Try 10 seconds first then another 10 if it is still hard. Eat it immediately while it is still warm or it will go hard again. This explains why bread goes stale and why warming it will make it soft again http://cooking. … er-heating-it-up

Every once in a while, I forget about the last bagel in the bag and it ends up as hard as a rock. I am tired of dipping them in soup; does anyone have an idea to make them soft?

Thank you!

Linda

Answers

Dampen with water and place in microwave or oven toaster or regular for a few minutes. This works well for biscuits or cornbread - bjm

To rejuvenate a "middle aged" ; ) bagel, I slice it in half and put it, cut side up in the steamer. Steam gently, just till warm/softened. If it feels a little wet for your taste, you can pop it in the broiler for a moment to crisp the toastable surfaces. I hope this helps : )

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your help.
My mother-in-law was visiting this weekend, and she told me to wrap the bagel in a paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds at half power, check to see if it is soft, and repeat as many times as it takes to get soft. This works with frozen bagels too, since I tried it this morning!