Removing Black Mold from Window Sills

I have a lot of condensation on my windows and where water collects in the sills, there is black mold. How should I clean this? I can't afford new windows.

By Gloria from NY

Mix 1/2 bleach + 1/2 water and put in a spray bottle. Spray black mold areas and dry with a rag. I had the same problem with the windows in our house due to condensation.

I've read that it's dangerous to use bleach on black mold.

The ladies on the BBC show about cleaning use a much milder bleach solution (1 part bleach to 4-5 parts water), then dry well and wipe with a tea tree oil solution (1 drop oil to 1 cup water) to help prevent recurrence.

I think the danger of bleach on black mold is the fumes, so be sure to use a mask and some gloves.

I've also have read articles about it being unsafe to use chlorine bleach (even diluted with water) on mold but it is safe to use oxygen (non-chlorine) bleach!

With due respect to those BBC ladies and other professionals, the most recent research shows that bleach only 'bleaches' the mold so you can't see it. The spores still live which is why it 'comes back'. If you use vinegar and use it repeatedly after each use of the area, this will kill it. Replace if it's the sealant around the window and tub.

O and this works on those shower doors and shower curtains too.

I've been doing this for decades and only have a problem when we've forgotten to spray the vinegar after several uses. Since I live in the Pacific NW, I use it on my windows as part of my regular cleaning of a room.

Thanks everyone who's commented so far. Dee, what is the ratio of vinegar to water? Or do I spray it on undiluted? Do I have to rinse it off?

Thank you,

~gloria

Thank you,

~gloria

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldMarch 14, 2011
Balack mokd on the wall.
Getting Rid of Black Mold
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
🎉
🎄