Getting an Amaryllis To Bloom Twice in One Season

I've got an amaryllis that has already bloomed. It sent up the leaves, but it also started a couple of new flower stalks. I'd like to let it bloom again this season, since it has already started stalks. However, the stalks have stopped growing now that the plant is growing leaves. I know I'm not supposed to cut the leaves back, but how can I get the flower stalks to go ahead and grow?

By Steve from Desert Hot Springs, CA

Best Answer

In late summer before frost take the plant indoors and discontinue watering, but give it full light. Keep the pot in a cool (50-60°F) basement or upstairs room. The leaves will usually die down during this rest period which is like the dry season of the tropics. After the leaves die, the plant may be stored in the dark.

In mid-winter repot the bulb into a pot no more than 2 inches larger than the bulb's diameter. (Amaryllis perform better if slightly pot bound.) Plant the bulb so that only the lower half or two-thirds of the bulb is covered with well-drained potting soil. Use caution to avoid unnecessarily disturbing roots. If a total repotting isn't needed, simply remove some soil at the top of the pot and add fresh soil leaving the bulb intact.

In mid to late winter you're ready to bring the plant into regrowth. Place the plant in a sunny south window and water well. Healthy growth should soon begin with either leaves or the flower stalk beginning growth first.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! The plant has both leaves and two small flower stalks on it right now. If I cut the leaves back, will the flower stalks go ahead and bloom? Once the leaves started growing, the stalks stopped growing. Steve