CanningFood and Recipes

Canning Spaghetti Sauce

Can anyone tell me if they have ever frozen tomatoes and then canned them when they get the time? Also has anyone ever made spaghetti sauce and canned it? How was it?

Thank you very much for your help

By crochet1-half from PA

I've never frozen then canned tomatoes but I have frozen then USED tomatoes in soups, etc. and they were great.

I also make spaghetti sauce and can it all the time. I make a huge pot and can it in pint jars (for 2) and it's good. Canning anything with meat in ot takes a long time, however. Sometimes I wonder it it's worth the trouble but my freezer space is limited.

I used some frozen tomatoes in my canned salsa recently. My garden doesn't produce fast enough for the big batches. It has only been canned a few weeks but it seem just fine.

I have done spaghetti sauce before too and it works out good.

You can wash the tomatoes, freeze them, can, or make spaghetti sauce in the winter when you have time. Glenn's Mom have you just canned the spaghetti sauce and add the browned hamburger with the sauce when you make it? I just cook it a little longer and add canned mushroom too. It taste great. I think you should skin them before freezing, if making sauce. It's hard to get all the skins collected from the pot.

I have quartered fresh tomatoes, (stems removed) and froze them in quart bags for use in chili or goulash. They're good for that. Also, yes home canned spaghetti sauce is super good.

If you are wanting to de-seed them, I would suggest doing that before freezing them. We tried this for salsa and was a disaster. If they are frozen, you can't tell what's meat or what is seeds. We also tried to let them thaw, and they 'deflate' and are a mess to deal with. The meat of the tomato changes drastically if they are frozen. We have refrigerated them until we were ready to use them and didn't have any problems.

I wanted to can spagetti sauce, but didn't have time to do it all, and didn't want the tomatoes to go bad. I did the first step in getting them ready for canning; boiled them for a minute to get the skins to come off easy, and them put them right away in cold/ice water. I then put the container on the bottom shelf of my fridge for a week till I could get at them. I just made the sauce this weekend.

I would have to say, only use roma tomatoes for canning, the rest are too watery and seedy. Romas are very meaty. I found some great directions online. I added all the spices minus garlic...will add when I open it up to cook it-said it could get bitter tasting, and didn't want that! Also, I didn't have an actual canning pot, but I used a stock pot and put a trivet down at the bottom of the pot (jar cannot be directly on heat) I would have used a flat piece of wood/board if I didn't have the trivet!

Also, you can freeze spag sauce. My friend just blends the tomato up really good with all the spices (she leaves the skins on, just takes the stems off!) and cooks it to get the water content down, cools it and puts in bags/containers and keeps in freezer. in a upright freezer, up to 6 months, in a deep freeze up to a year. That's what I was told, and canned and frozen-either way is super yummy!

When my boys went to college I canned spaghetti sauce in pint jars. Also, canned chili base, and apple sauce. They just added meat and kidney beans and a pint was just enough for a meal. They got a case of each. They put them under their beds so they were not easy for room mates to get. Many times I would make the base and can later. I think freezing would be fine. Canned salsa would also be good. Mrs Wages Salsa mix is a great way to can Salsa and you can add hot stuff if too mild. Ohio State Mom

Many people freeze and then can a lot of their garden produce now. It allows you to do it when you have the time and inclination but I'm not sure how well the water soluble vitamins hold up under those extreme conditions.