My Dog Tries to Bite People That Pick Him Up

I have a 8 week old mastiff Rottweiler mix. He attacks when I pick him up but only when he doesn't want to be. I took him to the vet and when she was examining him he growled and tried to bite her. She said this is not normal and said you better get training or he will have to be put down. Any training tips for Jack?

Brandy from Colorado Springs, CO

The best advice is to let Jack know immediately that biting is not allowed. We have invested in some behavior training for our dog, and read Ceasar Milano's book, the "Dog Whisperer". I highly recommend the book, and some training if you can afford it. There are many things you can do, but most importantly.. you're dog needs to know that you're the pack leader and biting will not be tolerated! Be patient and consistent, and most importantly, don't hit your new puppy. Positive reinforcement works best. Trust me! I now have a dog that I can take anywhere, and he's very happy that he knows his limits. Dogs are usually very eager to please their owners. Best of luck to you.

hi you have a very stubborn breed to train and you need to go to a dog trainer. this is to be done with the breeds that you have a mix of, at a very early age .but if you can't afford it, you need for it to know you are the head dog! do NOT hit it in any way! You need to be more stubborn than it is. and stay on it never let it think it runs the show. there are many of things you need to do and there is not enough space here to tell you it all but you needed to start from day one.

do you really want to keep a dog that bites? even with training he will always be inclined to "forget" if a child bothers him or someone accidently steps on his toe or tail.

does your insurance company know you have a dog on the watch list (i am an insurance agent and there really is a list of dogs we will not give liability coverage for) if not, and you have a claim for a dog bite, they may not cover it. can your conscience and your pocket book take that kind of risk?

i'm really not a dog hater or mean to animals. but i am a mother and grandma. i wouldn't want my grandkids around a rott even if it had blue ribbons for training.

Hi I have a much smaller dog but this may help. Mine is always so glad to see me when I return from anywhere that she would nip as she is a puppy. However it hurts! I started keeping a jar of peanut butter in the car and before going in I would smear a place on my arm with that. Instead of nipping she would lick it off. She got used to doing that and stopped the nipping. Just something to try, good luck.

Please listen to your vet...and start training (professionally) NOW! I had to put Hailey (doberman/lab, or rott/lab...our best guesses) down after almost one year of training and nightmare wrestling matches. Finally she bit the trainer's 5 year old (who knows how to act around dogs) and kept jumping up on my stomach (at 6 months pregnant.) We loved the dog, but it was out of our hands. She did not like to be pet, or held, and shredded the fur off the back of our cat's neck. The day before we put her down, our trainer "friend" found us a dog to adopt (Charlie) and our cat fell in love with him within the first 15 minutes! It was a hard thing to go through (especially with the pregnancy.) but it was easier than having to shoot the dog for attacking the baby or having someone adopt her and use her as an attack dog.

There is no way he is going to be put down. My, now 3year old Rottweiler, did the same. I call it "Puppy bravery". As with all puppies, biting will stop when his permanent teeth has developed, and with lots of love and patience he will grow up to be an angel. Don't hit your puppy, a loud "No!" will get the message to him that it is wrong. Give him lots of attention and enjoy your puppy without worrying about him being aggressive when he grows up. Well treated dogs are never aggressive towards their owners.

You have a dog of a strong breed, a large breed. At no time is biting acceptable, not even as a pup. This dog was more than likely born dominant and you had better get professional training or find this dog a new home. Your dog is telling you that he doesn't respect you as the pack leader and when humans don't take on the leadership role, the dog has to and dogs really don't want to be leaders. Most dogs are happy being followers. I have a 140 lb. male German Shepherd who is of dominant nature but he learned quickly that he isn't the Alpha in our house. On occasion, he will try to dominate my other two dogs when they play outside but I am always there watching carefully and I put a quick stop to it.

Don't think for one moment your dog will stop biting. It will only get worse unless like I said, get professional training and start being the Alpha.

Good luck.

Good luck trying to control jack...you have to show him that u are the boss at aall times.There is tv show called ..at the end of my leach tha is very informative.

good luck,bigtone

dog biting
Training a Dog Not to Bite
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJuly 23, 2006
Little boy in a brown bunny costume.
Making an Easter Rabbit Costume
Man on the Street in Charlie Chaplin Costume
Making a Charlie Chaplin Costume
Bite Plane
Maintaining a Bite Plane
Old Bed Springs
Uses for Old Bed Springs
🎄