Identifying Old Measuring Cup

I have a glass measuring cup that appears to be very old. I have never seen one like it. Perhaps someone out there can give me some information about it.

It shows:

• lb. measures, ex. 1/4 lb. flour or sugar (both written on the cup)
  • teaspoon measures
  • cup measures
  • oz. measurements
  • pint measurements
  • tablespoon measurements

It has no markings on the bottom of it. It stands 3 inches tall with no pouring spout. Can any one tell me anything about this measuring cup. A big thanks for reading this.

Update: This is the measuring cup that I am trying to identify. It is clear glass, not vaseline. The cup is reflecting the color of the towel it is sitting on.

By Connie H from Smithville, TN

Best Answer

Spent quite awhile surfing just now and can only find this site that 'might' be of help :-( Click on 'community' and see if there might be a place to post the photo and question there.

http://www.etsy  lated&page=1

It's difficult to say just how old this measuring cup is or who it is who made it without talking to a specialist or two :-( My guess is that it's from somewhere in the 30's thru 60's but might even be older than that.

You could also try going to the library and checking out all the available Kovel's books (new editions come out every year and Kovel's has been around forever and a day) that tells the worth of hundreds of vintage and antique items.

Another thing you could do is check out ebay and type in glass vintage measuring cups and/or glass antique measuring cups.

No matter what, it's a very cool looking measuring cup :-) Hope this has been of help!

Best Answer

My mom had a clear glass measuring cup that looked like that. I was born in 1938 and remember it as a child. So, I would say the 1940's. Try looking it up by date to see if you see something similar.

Best Answer

Actually, the cup is probably from around the 1900's. Cooks used to have measuring scales in the kitchen. My great grandmother had one. Recipes used to call for amounts in weight measures. It changed soon after that but in old recipe books they still call for weights.

This is the measuring cup I am trying to identify. I sent the pictures separately. I hope they came through. If not, let me know. Connie H.

This cup is clear glass. Sitting on the green towel it looks like vasaline glass but it isn't. It's just a reflection. If you look close you can see the words "Flour & Sugar" written on the cup. You can also see cup, oz, & pint. The teaspoon & Tablespoon measures are lower down and harder to see in this picture.

Hi - nice cup - go to eBay and click on their "site map" (top right , I think). Look down right side and find discussion boards. Click on this and then look for one of the names that has glass in it. You may have to sign in or join? but this is minor.

Present your pictures and info to this board and you will get very good info. These people are experts at what they do.

I know this is an old post but I have the exact same cup! I found it when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house after she passed away and I fell in love with it. I'm wondering if it might have belonged to her mother. Has any more information been learned about it?

Old Measuring Cup
Determining the Value of an Old Measuring Cup
Photos OtherJuly 22, 2009
Stack of colorful measuring cups
Organizing Measuring Cups
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 7:18:00 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.