Fruit TreesGardening

Brown Rot on Apricots

I got brown rot on my apricots last year and was wondering if there is something that can do to prevent it from happening this year? I prefer natural ways but open to an effective way. I have a peach and a plum tree. Neither got the disease. Last year was the first year of produce of the tree we bought at COSCO. The tree is at my guess 3 years old being one year planted in my yard. Is there something I can do?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Thanks,
Bruce from Murrieta, CA

Answers

Is your soil really alkaline? Or does your tree drip sap? Mine does, and when I mulched with pine needles, the brown rot really backed off. It's not gone, but I try to get the apricots picked up the minute they fall, and we dry a lot of them. I'm sure it has a fungus infection. Our son-in-law, a laboratory technician, injected his fungus-infected trees with tetracycline and that made quite a difference.