Newborn Baby Afghan, Hat and Booties Pattern
I made this afghan in honor of the two new grandbabies that we are expecting in September. We are hoping for a girl as you can tell from the colors in the picture. (We have seven grandsons.) These work up quick and easy and make a wonderful baby gift.
The booties are so easy in fact that I would ask that if you make one pair use some leftover yarn to make a couple of pairs for your local hospital for babies in the ICU. Research shows that small babies need to be kept warm not only on their heads but their feet as well.
- 2 skeins of Lion Brand Jamie Baby Yarn (the big skeins)
You will need one for the afghan and one for the hat and booties with lots left over to make those extra booties I was talking about.
- size G crochet hook
- ch 6, join with a sl st in 1st ch to form a ring
- Round 1 - in ring just formed work, ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, *3 dcs, ch 2 * repeat from *to* 4 more times, join with a sl st to top of beg ch 3.
- Round 2 - sl st in next 2 dcs and in next ch 2 sp in same sp work, ch 3, 2dcs, ch 2, 3 dcs, *in next ch 2 sp work 3dcs, ch 2, 3 dcs* repeat 4 times.
- Work as for Granny Square for 25 rounds. (Crochet 3 dc in each chain 3 space of previous round.) Slip stitch in last stitch and cut and work in ends.
- Picot edging: chain three and slip stitch into chain three corner, chain 3 and slip stitch into chain 3 corner again, chain 3 and slip stitch into chain 3 space. You now will have a small loop over each shell and over each chain 3 space. Continue in pattern until you have gone all the way around. Cut and work in ends.
These are an adaptation of a pattern I found on the internet.
- Chain 27 in second chain from hook dc and in each stitch across. Chain 2; turn.
- Row 2-3: dc in each stitch across and chain 2; turn.
- Row 4: Slip stitch in first 5 stitches. Chain 3 and the dc until you reach the last five stitches which you leave un-worked. Chain 2; turn.
- Row 5 and 6: dc in each stitch across and chain 2; turn. Fasten off and work in ends.
- Picot edging: Chain 3 slip stitch into next stitch repeat across.
- Finishing. Fold bootie in half and slip stitch bootie closed. Turn right side out.
- Chain 35 dc in second chain from hook and in each stitch across. Chain 2; turn.
- Row 2-45: In back loop only dc in each stitch across. Chain 2; turn. After last row fasten of and work in ends. Slip stitch short ends together.
- Picot edging: Do The same as of booties evenly spacing the chain 3 picots around edge of hat.
- Row 2-3: Chain 3 and slip stitch into the center of the loop from round one chain 3 and slip stitch into the center of the next loop continue around. Fasten off and work in ends.
- Closing the top of the hat: With large yarn needle do a running stitch around the top of the hat staying as close to the edge as you can. Gather hat and tie off both ends with a square knot.
April 5, 20070 found this helpful
Thanks so much for these patterns - I plan to try them! I appreciate your being willing to go to the trouble to type it out. God bless you!
July 1, 20070 found this helpful
Great set! I belong to a charity crafting group and this would be great for those babies! thanks alot!
Helen in CA
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 1, 2016 at 2:19:39 PM on 10.0.0.90 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us