Cleaning Puppy Stains and Odors from Couch

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

Best Answer

Woolite Oxy Pet Stain remover, it's in a gray spray bottle. Doesn't smell bad at all, and it's supposed to keep the animals from doing anything in the same spot! Worked great on the stain right away, had to use three applications for the odor, but it worked. Our Black Lab just turned two in November, but thankfully he still kept all his GOOD puppy traits!

Sounds as though you need a new couch. For the future, teach the puppy to stay off the couch. Dogs should not be allowed on furniture. It teaches them that they have the same privileges as people and they shouldn't. Your dog needs to look up to you as the boss -- the leader of the pack. You will have a better behaved dog if you act as the leader. I love my dogs but they do have their place. I am always told how well behaved and mannered my dogs are. I am not cruel or abusive to my dogs, they just know me as the leader and respect me. Good luck.

I say let your dogs do as you want them to do, if you want them to be one of the family go for it! I treat our beloved black lab as one of us and she is greatly spoiled yet she maintains great behavior! I let her on the couch whenever she wants and she is allowed to sleep on our bed, she is one of my kids and a sibling to my boys! Couches are cleanable and replaceable, a pet brings memories and provides humans with so much love!

Thanks Missl, My black lab is as spoiled as can be and I would have it no other way! He is the most obedient, loyal, lovable animal I know. He's just a little "messy." To each their own as to the limits they put on their pets, but I do not feel those of us that are less strict should be chastised for it. I really did not want dog training tips, as much as a way to get the odors out of my couch. I Found something for the stain, but the smell is still lingering.

Thanks for the advice it worked great for me too, but did take 2 applications to work for the stain of drool!

In re Marcie; some pet owners don't mind their animal-kids being on furniture.

I have a cream colored micro-suede couch and a 6 year old in my home. It's been through a lot. I did not want to pay $200 to have it cleaned either. Instead, I purchased a steam cleaner for $139 and OxySteam solution. IT WORKS GREAT! It's not that great with hard core stains like ink or dye, but things like juice and dirt it's wonderful. The solution also leaves behind a nice fresh smell and all the urine and other wonderful juices are sucked out.

Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJanuary 16, 2008
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Natural Cleaning Products
Thrifty Cleaning Ideas
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch