Troubleshooting Problems With Sprint Cellphone Service

Woman looking at cell phone with confused expression
Any cellphone service provider can sometimes cause you headaches trying to correct problems either with billing or service. This is a guide about troubleshooting problems with Sprint cellphone service.

Does anyone know any attorney out there that handles Sprint overbilling?

By Kay from Louisville, KY

Best Answer

I have to call them almost every month. After waiting a while I finally get someone who takes the charge off my bill. I think they do it on purpose but if you complain they won't charge you for it. If you get no help call or write your state attorney general. Often you can go to their website and complain on line. They will follow up believe me. Sprint needs to straighten up.

Best Answer

Report them to the Public Service Commission.

Best Answer

Have you filed a formal complaint with Sprint? and the Better Business Bureau? Always complain in writing. I had a 10 month nightmare with AT&T long distance charges. Also Google "civil lawsuits" and see if there's one filed against them.

We signed up for 2 cell phones and agreed to our plan. Sprint messed the plan up so badly and compounded it for months after. I kept calling to get it all corrected to no avail. Sprint even broke their own guarantee as noted on their contract summary sheet. They changed the contract date within 2 months time. I have yet to get satisfaction from Sprint.

Sprint even charged both phones for the family plan and the $200 unlimited plan at the same time. Realize we canceled the $200 unlimited plan to go with the family plan when we added a second phone - Cost $149.99 plus $10 and fees and taxes. That was all the bill should have been monthly.

Our 1st bill after the change was like $800. We paid the $125 deposit in cash and had a 0 balance.

A collection agency's rep for Sprint told me to file a complaint with Sprint's Dispute Division. She instructed me to send them everything (copies) I had to support my case. That division was the only place to get the problem resolved.

Has anyone else had problems with Sprint or resolved such problems?
Christie from NJ

Answers:

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

Update:

Sprint's Collections Dept tries to correct problems for you:

# 888-788-5001 ask for collections department.

Our account was sold to a collection company. That collection company referred me back to Sprint's Dispute Division and agreed it should have been handled in house and sent to collections. They also said they get a lot of complaints on Sprint.

I called Sprint, there is no Dispute Division only the Collections Department. A supervisor looked at our account and saw the mistakes Sprint made. She put me on extended hold for the Collections Dept., the phone disconnected after minutes on hold. Today this was, just a few minutes ago.

(06/28/2007)

By SnowyFilly

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

I would go to your state web site and look for your state's attorney general address. Another option would be something called Public Service Commission or a similar name. It is the state group that oversees public services like electricity, telephones, etc. Talk to someone there if you can, or write or e-mail your complaint, and ask "who" do you need to contact to get this problem resolved. I've found that companies and individual "problem" businessmen get nervous and anxious when you start talking about contacting the attorney general's office when they are giving you the runaround. Good luck! (06/28/2007)

By Grandma Margie

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

Why did you have to put down a deposit on these phones? The only time I have heard of having to put deposits on phones was due to poor credit. If this is the case, perhaps that is why they are giving you such a hard time so that they can keep your deposit. I have had Sprint for over 8 years and have always gotten problems resolved and extra credit $$ on my bills when I called in with a problem (mistake on my bill). It is a pain though!

Most recently, I have had to call several times to get my son's new phone set up correctly. I spend forever on hold only to have to do it again the following month because it doesn't get fixed. This has been a recent thing. However, do note that I have friends with other carriers and they say the same problems exist with their providers. I suppose these companies know we need the service and there isn't enough competition around to actually keep them that competitive in "customer service" area. Good luck. (06/29/2007)

By Andjerm

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

I regretted signing up with Sprint several times. Twice already they started charging us for services we never ordered. When we reported them to the TX Public Utility Commission, they lied claiming I ordered the services in a call. I challenged them to produce a recording of the call, which they never did, but they did cancel the services and return the money. Then they started charging us for extra minutes when we were well below our monthly minute quota. After a phone call they claimed it was just a mistake and promised to credit us for the overcharges (we'll see next month).

Don't waste time on the phone. Sprint has an e-mail page. Email them with the details, and keep a copy of your e-mail. Tell them that unless problems are solved within a certain deadline you will report them to your state's AG or PUC. If they don't do anything, just report them and forward them a copy of the report. This worked for me. Unless you have the time and resources to drag them to court, there is very little else you can do. Good luck. And don't feel bad for signing up with Sprint; I had terrible experiences with Verizon as well, and as far as I know they are all pretty bad. (06/29/2007)

By F

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

Call your local TV stations and see if they'd like to do this on the air! Also, local newspaper.
Write a letter to the CEO of Sprint. (06/29/2007)

By cookwie

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

There is a customer retention department that can fix all your problems. They have the power to do so. You need to call customer service and keep going asking for supervisors till you get to customer retention. I sell the service, but only have business numbers that I cannot share (06/30/2007)

By daiquiri

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

We signed up for Sprint about 5 years ago an kept them for about 6 months and had so much trouble with our bill until it nearly drove me nuts. From the first month of service, we were charged for long distance calls we didn't make (didn't even know the people), then we started getting bills for 2 phones, caller I.D (it's not obtainable in our area yet) and after canceling the service, 6 months later we were still getting bills from the first month of service.

I called and raised H-LL with them and they told me they were allowed to hold a bill for up to 1 year. I paid that bill and dared them to send me another bill that was 6 months old.
I reported them to the consumer advocate and they interceded on my behalf. I got back $69.00 they had over charged me for, but they still had over $100.00 on long distance calls I didn't make. I would never use that company again. I have Verizon now and so far after a 5 year period, I've had no trouble from them, except to try and get in touch with them! It takes 2 to 3 days to get through sometimes. I wish all these companies would take their "punch 2, punch 3, punch 1" up the ying yang and go back to people, even if they are rude sometimes. (06/30/2007)

By Louise

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

Tony, I'm so sorry to hear your mess and the small restitution. The contract they say, but they break their own policies and contracts with you. Hmmm.

Daiquiri, Retention Dept is what you are told to tell the customer, I did call and talk to that dept which said they can't do anything and referred me to the Collections Dept for help in correcting the mess.

Fact: The rep for the FCC said they will legally cancel the contract with no fees to zero when I send them all the proof.
(07/01/2007)

By Christie

Problems With Sprint Cell Phone Service

Please contact the attorney general in your state of residence and file an official complaint. Also contact the closest FCC (Federal Communication Commission). There will probably be an 800 or other toll-free number. You may also be able to get on-line to get and send forms. (12/06/2007)

By Vicka