Lavender Plant Not Growing

I need help with my lavender plant. I bought it in early May, an already established plant, Munstead variety. I re-potted it together with rosemary in a nice size pot, because I heard that they are good companion plants. Rosemary is doing beautifully, while lavender has not grown a single millimeter, it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it!? No flowers, no new growth, nothing! It does not show any signs of disease or dying, but not growing either. Please help!

Zoe from New York City

Your lavender plant is probably just settling in and focusing its energy on establishing roots. As long as it isn't showing any signs of disease or dying it's probably just fine. Here are some tips for growing it in containers:

• Lavender prefers a location that receives 7 to 8 hours of sun each day.

• The plants prefer crowded roots, so when you are growing them in containers, shoot for a pot size that is just an inch or two larger than their root ball.

• Good soil drainage is a must so use a light, well-aerated soil.

• Lavenders are fairly drought tolerant plants, but like all plants grown in containers, attention to watering is required. Water your lavender only when the soil appears dry.

• Lavenders grown in containers deplete nutrition from the soil quickly, so mix a slow release organic fertilizer in with some fresh potting soil each spring.

• L. angustifolia cultivars such as Munstead' are slightly larger plants and should either be moved to a larger container or planted out in the garden after a couple of years.

• A light pruning in the spring (before budding) and again in the summer will encourage air circulation and keep your lavender looking good.

Good luck!

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Hang in there it is probably growing a root system.

AOL cut me off before finishing:

Solution: Separate the two. Lavender requires moisture but the Rosemary doesn't like so much moisture. DON'T fertilize them. Cut any dead branches off, make certain they have good drainage and give them lots of space. Neither likes cooler weather, I believe. Good luck. God bless you. : )

Hmmm... I was wondering if the soil was the right pH for the Lavender? Also, could you may have damaged the lavenders roots while transplanting.

Zoe, I have two in separate pots and they're doing the same. They're perennials. They always take the first year after planting to establish (even when repotted). I wouldn't worry. You'll get a great surprise next year!

It could be that the plant has just adjusted to the pot. This happens in some perennials, mainly trees. I went to an Amish place that sells plants. And LOL they still had tomatoes in the little tiny square things they are started in. Although they looked pretty raggid, some even had Bonsai size tomatoes on them. But very tough skinned. They sold them out for 50 cents a flat. Each little flat had four tomato plants in them. So I bought a flat.

I have read that lavender don't like the roots messed with. I don't know that I could verify that for sure. I transplanted my granddaughters we started from seed into a large pot and it is fine. But it won't flower untill the next year. Good Luck with your lavender.

Growing Lavender
Growing Lavender
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 25, 2008
Lavender flower in clear liquid filled jar.
Making Lavender Water Recipes
lavender crystals, oil, and flowers
Lavender Bath Recipes
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Lavender Essential Oil
Uses for Lavender
Uses for Lavender