Making Scented Oils From Herbs

Hi. I am looking for a way to make scented oil, using mint and other herbs in my garden. If someone could send me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

Flagg in Alabama

I'm no expert but I think you can only make distillations and tinctures from herbs. These are where you use hot water over the leaves to make a "tea" and where you pack leaves into a jar and cover with olive or vegetable oil and leave for about 3 months in a warm place to steep. To extract oils, I believe you need to "distill" them, using an actual device like a still. Anybody out there, correct me if I'm wrong. --Jayne

"To extract oils, I believe you need to "distill" them, using an actual device like a still. Anybody out there, correct me if I'm wrong."

Jayne, you are correct. Extracting the oils requires distillation. As it happens, Edmunds Scientific (an awesome site) has such a kit. Here is the link: http://scientificsonline.com. Enter "distillation" in their search and it will come up. I haven't bought one yet to know how well it works, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

http://www.bage  7/?rateaccept=10

Everything you need to know simple to get started. I have lavender, rosemary, cuban oregano for 1st time this year & want to try to make christmas gifts! good luck & have fun.

Hi Flagg. I was looking for a way to use the end of my lavender and came across an article at http://www.gardenerspath.com that uses a small amount of vodka and vegetable oils that might help you out if you have not found another way already. Sharon

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 19, 2004
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Scented Bars of Soap
Uses for Scented Soap
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 6:32:30 PM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.