Browsing: Craft Ideas for Socks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Craft Ideas for Socks

You can make fun and useful crafts using socks, whether they are lonely ones from the wash or new ones purchased for the project. This is a guide about craft ideas for socks.

Craft Ideas for Socks
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 14, 2011 Flag

I enjoy making a lot of the gifts that I give my grandchildren and when you have 5, it always helps to get an early start on Christmas. I try to think of a new idea each holiday for them and this year, as one of their gifts, they will be adopting an alien and a pet. Sock animals have survived for generations, but making them into alien creatures was a fun, new twist for me.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hrs.

Background and scope of the project:

This clan of creatures reign from the planet Zuff and will pass on a "special" power to their new Earth friends. For example, one is giving the gift of humor and will be the comedian of the family. Another will help our planet stay green and will be the gardener of the bunch.

I made up a little story that introduces each and wrote it in a way so that the alien was talking to the specific child. I included a picture of the alien, the child, and the pet. Photo of the covers of two of the books that accompany the creatures.

In the comedian's book there are also some alien jokes. The gardener's book has short children's poems about gardening.

Travel size Q-tips come in their own plastic snap shut box so I made the books a size to fit into one of these. They made a great case for each. I will tie them to the creatures using ribbon.

Each one will also get "tools of the trade" goodies. The comedian will get a few gag items (Dollar Tree has a good selection of these in the toy section), such as a whoopie cushion so he can spread humor where ever he goes. The gardener will get a small peat pot, seed, and soil to grow some flowers.

I am choosing their powers to fit each child. For example, my grandson who will get the comedian, always seems to have a smile on his face. He never ceases to make us all laugh. I often remind myself to see the world through his eyes for he is a wonderful example. The youngest one will be the gardener. She finds much joy in seeing something she planted grow. I am still working on the other books, but one will be an artist, for sure.

As a grandparent, I try to pass on encouragement and positive words. They all love to create things and since this gift will contain the alien and pet (the toy itself), a book (praise and encouragement of what they do), and the added "tools of the trade" goodies, I think they will enjoy them.

This entire project started when I found a book that came with instructions to make a sock creature. Although I enjoy designing my own crafts, this little one was just too cute to resist. I had so much fun making him that I decided to create some of my own. I did not preplan any of mine. I had a bag of socks along with some imagination and then just allowed the inner child to come out.

As the alien family grew, I wrote down the steps to make Zik and wanted to share his instructions with the TF readers. I have included a family photo to show the variety of ways socks can be used to create creatures. Groups photo of several sock creatures.

Letting my mind wander further, since this alien family comes from the planet Zuff, I decided their last name would be Zock and all their first names will begin with the letter "Z". The inner child really did come out.

Sock creatures are fun to make and do not require a lot of materials. All my grandchildren are older, so if you do make one that is intended for a younger child, I recommend that you omit any buttons and use something safer for young ones. For those who will try creating a sock creature, I wish you as much fun creating them as I had. You may even find yourself giggling along the way.

Instructions:

1. You will need one pair of children's anklets and one pair of toe socks. Although toe socks are no longer popular, they do make great stuffed toys for children. You can still find them in some stores. Check in discount and thrift stores also. Hand drawn diagram for making creatures.

2. Cut one toe sock into three parts. See diagram #1. The middle section will become the body. See diagram #2.

3. Take one of the anklet socks and stuff it firmly. See diagram #3. Photo of anklet and sock being stuffed to make creatures.

4. Make a running stitch along one end of the middle section. See diagram #4.

5. Gather, stitch closed to hold and insert into sock head. Pin all around and stitch outer diameter so the two are joined together. See diagram #5.

6. Take one cuff and cut in half for feet. See diagram #6. Put right sides together and stitch closed, leaving one short end open. Stuff. Insert into pinned bottom edge of body and sew closed. Repeat for other foot.

7. Do the same with cuff from other sock for arms and sew onto animal. See diagram #7.

8. Use strong thread to indent head. Knot thread. Start by going in at point "A" and come out at "B". Go back in through "B" and come out at point "C". Go back in "C" and come out at "D". See diagram #8. Repeat again, being sure you pull thread tight enough to indent material. I left a few threads sticking out the front indents to resemble fire. Sew buttons on side indents.

9. Do the same for eyes and attach buttons. See diagram #9.

10. Turn other anklet sock inside out and lay flat. Pin. Sew along pinned line, leaving cuff end open and cut off excess. The part with the "X" will be the tail. See diagram #10. A single gray ankle sock, inside out.

11. Turn right side out and stuff firmly. Sew to bottom of body in back. See diagram #11.

12. Cut toe section off other toe sock. Use toe sections from both socks and stuff firmly. See diagram #12.

13. Pin along top of animal, starting at the top of the head and continue down to the tail. Sew to animal. See diagram #13.

14. Cut tail spikes from one solid strip of black felt. Sew on to tail.

15. Cut 2 pointed teeth from white felt and sew onto front of face, right below the front indentations.

16. I braided rope and made a collar. I then poked a hole in a bottle cap and attached a jewelry loop through it. I filled the cap with clear glue and sprinkled on some red glitter. I named this animal Zik and pressed letter beads that spelled the name into the glue. I allowed it to dry and attached it to the collar for a name tag.
Cute long snouted creature made from a gray, black, and white striped sock. It has a spiky tail and a red bottle cap hanging around its neck.

Tip: The cute, colorful hair used for these creatures is from cleaning mitts. These are gloves with the nubby ends on one side that you dust or clean something with. They look just like a large mitten and I found them in Dollar Tree. They come in several bright colors. The back side is stretchy material and I used it to make ears on one of my sock creatures. You can cut pieces from the nubby side and they are made well enough so they don't unravel. You can find them in stores such as Wal Mart also, but they cost more there. Black, white, and gray creature from the rear. Here the tail is clearly visable.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

September 8, 2011 Flag

I have seen these cute cupcake socks for sale several places and decided to try my hand at creating my own. This is quick and easy and it is a fun and unique way to give a pair or two of socks!

Sock Cupcake with Cherry on top

July 19, 2006 Flag

Here are some craft ideas for socks.

Beanbags or Puppets

Make odd socks into beanbags for the kids.

By fats82439

Uses Them for or Make a Heat Pack

Fill with rice and heat in microwave or freeze in freezer and use as a hot/cold pack.

Use for cleaning small messes or for dusting. Slide on a yard stick and secure with a rubberband to dust under fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, beds, etc.

By Barbie

Barbie Tube Tops

The top part of old childrens socks can be used to make Barbie clothes. My daughter and I recently spent the evening making several items. You can make tube tops, dresses and skirts, etc. for the dolls. They look great, it saves money, and you child will enjoy doing it.

By kathy_ph1976

Extend the Life of Pajamas

Save the top part and sew them onto the arms and legs of children's pajamas to extend the usage of the pj's. I did this for many years. Kids didn't care at all.

By Mary

For Freezing Jars

Not really a craft, but if you freeze in jars instead of bags you can put a jar in each sock. Then if they break or leak it will contain the mess.

By johnsonya

Dusting Mittens

Put one on each hand and dust the whole house in no time!

By suzi homemaker

Dog Ear Cleaner

I use them turned inside out and use like a glove for cleaning our Dog's ears.

By mom2mcar

Sock Puppets!

You can use markers to make faces which is fast and easy. Or you can sew or glue on buttons for eyes, use felt for a tongue and yarn for hair. These are very fun and inexpensive!

By Stella

Holiday Snowmen

You can make Holiday snowmen! They are very easy to make and great for childern and the elderly. Take a sock and fill it with Birdseed. Then using a rubberband, string, etc (Or you can twist it a few times and it will just stay, but be careful, if you move it, it may come undone-so pick it up from the bottom) make your three "snowballs". Use something to close the top of the head and then you can fold the top part of the sock down and can color it black for a hat. Use any other items you'd like for eyes, nose, etc. It can be things from a craft store or simply a permanant Sharpie marker, whatever you'd like. Puff paint seems to be the best, it looks great and you don't have to deal with glue!

By OneSweetWorldDMB

Beverage Sweaters

Not exactly "crafty", but useful. I cut some tube socks to use as beverage "sweaters" for some glasses I have that sweat profusely. They also keep your fingers from getting cold. I'm considering decorating each "redneck koozy" differently for parties - similar to the wine glass trinkets used to identify which drink belongs to whom. (Be sure they are open on both ends to prevent tipping). Another advantage to using socks - they STRETCH to fit different sized beverage glasses and can be washed.

By Tamara

Protecting Small Items

We also stuffed small glass items inside whole socks to keep the items from bumping during a short distance move (not sure how well it would work for shipping).

By Tamara

A Sock Quilt

Old socks make the warmest quilts you'll ever have. Use clean, stain free socks to make a patchwork quilt. Just cut out useable portions and sew together until you get the size you want.

This is a wonderful "as you grow" project. Start with your childrens baby socks (or clothes) and each birthday take time (together) to add that years collection to the quilt. Be sure to date each sock with the year. By the time they go off to college or move out on their own, they have a warm quilt and a lifetime of wonderful memories of time spent with just you. Add your own socks too, just mark whose is whose.

Add socks from special occasions when possible (even if still brand new)

Easy, Easy, Easy, even for people who can not sew.

By Becky3501

Grass Head!

If you put grass seed in first and then soil and close it up with a rubberband then turn it over and water it you can make a grass head. The kids can put eyes on with a permanent marker, we did it, it was a lot of fun.

By gail2656

Puppets and Doll Clothes

You could use them to make sock puppets with your kids, neighborhood kids, nieces and/or nephews. I always made Barbie and baby doll clothes with old socks.

By Myra

Use Your Imagination

Use your imagination! Kids can come up with the most fun ideas - ask THEM! My children, when very small, would love to play like she was folding laundry by playing in the mismatched sock basket.

By smcarney

Deodorize Your Closet

You can fill the sock with soap flakes (which you can make yourself by grating a soap bar), tie it with a nice ribbon and use to deodorize your closet.

By Sigal

Sock Baseball and Other Ideas

I have used socks as hand warmers in the winter. I couldn't find my gloves one very cold morning and use a pair of socks on my hands until my heater got warm.

When I was a youngin long ago a friend of mine's mother made a old sock baseball. It wouldn't go as far as a Wiffle ball but we sure had many great games. The sock balls were all socks. The last sock tied tight around the other socks.

People have been known to stash their extra money in a sock in a sock drawer.

I remember breaking Brazil nuts in clean old socks with the handle of a butter knife.

And if you feel the need to sock someone in the eye. Well please use clean soft socks. To Sock Or Not To Sock Is it a DeFEETING QUESTION. Sock It To Me.

By Mr. Thrifty

Sock Pot Holders

Use to make pot holders by cutting rings and using one of the loop looms. You can buy one at walmart really cheap in the craft section.

By brenda thompson

Reinforce Other Socks

Reinforce the toe before you start wearing the socks. Get inexpensive "boring" socks, cut the toe off and sew it to the novilty sock. Then use the boring sock for the other terrific ideas here.

By dollar out of a dime

Lap Robe or Quilt

If you have knee length, cut them off at the ankle, cut a seam up the back so they lay in flat "squares" and sew them together for a lap robe or a quilt.

By Carla Bledsoe

Heating Pad

Make heating pads to give as gifts. Fill them with rice then sew the top closed and reinforce the bottom seam. Instruct your giftees to heat them in the microwave for 1 minute.

By Mart

Arm Warmers

If they're long socks, like knee socks, cut the toe off (or right above the ankle if they have that weird heel) and cut a small thumbhole to make arm warmers. Sew a small stitch around the thumbhole and the top so it doesn't fray. Shorter socks can be bunched to make a sachel thing to put those smelly dried flowers in.

By Marissa

Cozies

Cut off the foot part, leaving just the part that covers your ankle or calf (I don't know what style of socks you wear!). Use this "tube" you have left, with all the cute kitties, etc (my favorites have frogs on them) as "cozies" for bottles and glasses -- keeps your cold drinks cold and your hot drinks hot!

By Becki in Indiana

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use baby socks and turn them into roses. You use a little bit of lace and a wood skewer and you roll the socks and use two sided tape. It makes a great bouquet for a baby's room or just on a table and when you mix them in with plastic flowers it really is pretty.

Cut the toes out of long socks and put them under soccer shin guards. They soak up the sweat and stop the shin guards from sticking to the kids' legs.

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2015 Flag

What can I make from a red fur Christmas sock with white fur around the top besides little girl purses?

By Donna

I have used the red part to make valentine hearts. Or the whole thing to make Christmas gift sacks or cut into triangles for Christmas pendant banners.

March 29, 2007 Flag

I want to make a craft called a coin sock, but I am having trouble finding a closure like used on a small coin purse. I hope one of you crafty people out there can help me.

Thanks.
Jean from Columbus, Ohio

Jean, I have seen what you are looking for at Hobby Lobby. It may not be in the section with purse supplies. It seems to me I saw it in the needlework section.

I have a pattern for a sock bank called "Sock It Away". It is similar, only you make it your self. The sock part holds the money.It is make with 1/4 yrd. stretch knit for sock. The opening is made with a canning jar lid that you stretch the fabric over( from outside to inside). Next you make a stuffed ring shaped animal face to glue over the ring. It uses a ribbon to hang it up. My pattern has a chicken,ckow,pig,bear,bunny and a dog for faces. I made them for my grandchildren for Christmas one year.I have a picture,but am not sure how to send on to thrifty fun. If anyone is interested, I could scan and send you the picture and pattern as well as instructions. My email address is bjptl AT bellsouth.net. Just email me if you are interested.

Judy

ps I just read how to send an image to Thrifty Fun,but couldn't make it work. I'll try and send one directly to them.

I finally made my first coin sock.. I used velcro on the top-inside of the sock. It seems to be working. Now I need a little poem to attach to it to sell at craft shows. thanks Jean at smithmj@ beol.net

Read More Answers...

May 11, 2011 Flag

Never throw anything away that can be recycled. For socks, I cut the toe off and cut the sock in circles about an inch wide. You can interlace them, roll them into a ball, and use them as you would use crochet cord; making whatever you want - rugs, slippers, even throws.

I also interweave the circles around my fingers in a way that makes long strips that you can sew together and make animal beds, which I have done. They make nice soft thick beds or rugs for animals and humans.

You can crochet anything from your ball of "sock yarn", as I like to call it, it just won't all be one color, but you will have a colorful article when you make your items. Good luck with your socks of many colors.

By Peggy from Tunkhannock, PA

June 22, 2010 Flag

Turn your baby's or kid's socks that they have grown out of into cute cuddly sock babies. Fill them with soft items. The other use for them is to fill them with dried beans and use them as a doorstop

By Ann from Sussex, UK

November 19, 2008 Flag

I love making things that require no pattern or few instructions. This "Little Monster" is made from an orphaned sock, scrape fabric, and my imagination. Little Sock Monster

By Gloria from Scottsville, NY

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 19, 2012
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
Partially knit sock over a woman's foot with needles in place.
Knitting Socks
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:12:17 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.