Craft Ideas for Socks

You can make fun and useful crafts using socks, whether they are lonely ones from the wash or new ones purchased for the project. This is a guide about craft ideas for socks.

January 19, 2017 Flag

White socks with a beaded trim.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Decorating plain socks with beads turns the mundane into a unique clothing item. This is a guide about beaded socks.

December 13, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a sock cupcake. This is a cute way to give a gift of socks.

Sock Cupcake with Cherry on top

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 11, 2011 Flag

Never throw anything away that can be recycled. For socks, I cut the toe off and cut the sock in circles about an inch wide. You can interlace them, roll them into a ball, and use them as you would use crochet cord; making whatever you want - rugs, slippers, even throws.

I also interweave the circles around my fingers in a way that makes long strips that you can sew together and make animal beds, which I have done. They make nice soft thick beds or rugs for animals and humans.

You can crochet anything from your ball of "sock yarn", as I like to call it, it just won't all be one color, but you will have a colorful article when you make your items. Good luck with your socks of many colors.

By Peggy from Tunkhannock, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

November 19, 2008 Flag

I love making things that require no pattern or few instructions. This "Little Monster" is made from an orphaned sock, scrape fabric, and my imagination.

By Gloria from Scottsville, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

November 5, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about making a sock snowman. With some simple accessories, you can turn a plain sock into an adorable snowman. They are cute decorations for around the house and make great gifts too.

Homemade sock snowman.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2012 Flag

Making a Sock Puppet

This is a guide about making a sock puppet. Sock puppets are fun to make and even more fun for your little ones to play with.

December 12, 2004 Flag

Use the ribbed ankle part of a cotton sock for "security wrist guards".

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 19, 2006 Flag

Here are some craft ideas for socks.

Beanbags or Puppets

Make odd socks into beanbags for the kids.

By fats82439

Uses Them for or Make a Heat Pack

Fill with rice and heat in microwave or freeze in freezer and use as a hot/cold pack.

Use for cleaning small messes or for dusting. Slide on a yard stick and secure with a rubberband to dust under fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, beds, etc.

By Barbie

Barbie Tube Tops

The top part of old childrens socks can be used to make Barbie clothes. My daughter and I recently spent the evening making several items. You can make tube tops, dresses and skirts, etc. for the dolls. They look great, it saves money, and you child will enjoy doing it.

By kathy_ph1976

Extend the Life of Pajamas

Save the top part and sew them onto the arms and legs of children's pajamas to extend the usage of the pj's. I did this for many years. Kids didn't care at all.

By Mary

For Freezing Jars

Not really a craft, but if you freeze in jars instead of bags you can put a jar in each sock. Then if they break or leak it will contain the mess.

By johnsonya

Dusting Mittens

Put one on each hand and dust the whole house in no time!

By suzi homemaker

Dog Ear Cleaner

I use them turned inside out and use like a glove for cleaning our Dog's ears.

By mom2mcar

Sock Puppets!

You can use markers to make faces which is fast and easy. Or you can sew or glue on buttons for eyes, use felt for a tongue and yarn for hair. These are very fun and inexpensive!

By Stella

Holiday Snowmen

You can make Holiday snowmen! They are very easy to make and great for childern and the elderly. Take a sock and fill it with Birdseed. Then using a rubberband, string, etc (Or you can twist it a few times and it will just stay, but be careful, if you move it, it may come undone-so pick it up from the bottom) make your three "snowballs". Use something to close the top of the head and then you can fold the top part of the sock down and can color it black for a hat. Use any other items you'd like for eyes, nose, etc. It can be things from a craft store or simply a permanant Sharpie marker, whatever you'd like. Puff paint seems to be the best, it looks great and you don't have to deal with glue!

By OneSweetWorldDMB

Beverage Sweaters

Not exactly "crafty", but useful. I cut some tube socks to use as beverage "sweaters" for some glasses I have that sweat profusely. They also keep your fingers from getting cold. I'm considering decorating each "redneck koozy" differently for parties - similar to the wine glass trinkets used to identify which drink belongs to whom. (Be sure they are open on both ends to prevent tipping). Another advantage to using socks - they STRETCH to fit different sized beverage glasses and can be washed.

By Tamara

Protecting Small Items

We also stuffed small glass items inside whole socks to keep the items from bumping during a short distance move (not sure how well it would work for shipping).

By Tamara

A Sock Quilt

Old socks make the warmest quilts you'll ever have. Use clean, stain free socks to make a patchwork quilt. Just cut out useable portions and sew together until you get the size you want.

This is a wonderful "as you grow" project. Start with your childrens baby socks (or clothes) and each birthday take time (together) to add that years collection to the quilt. Be sure to date each sock with the year. By the time they go off to college or move out on their own, they have a warm quilt and a lifetime of wonderful memories of time spent with just you. Add your own socks too, just mark whose is whose.

Add socks from special occasions when possible (even if still brand new)

Easy, Easy, Easy, even for people who can not sew.

By Becky3501

Grass Head!

If you put grass seed in first and then soil and close it up with a rubberband then turn it over and water it you can make a grass head. The kids can put eyes on with a permanent marker, we did it, it was a lot of fun.

By gail2656

Puppets and Doll Clothes

You could use them to make sock puppets with your kids, neighborhood kids, nieces and/or nephews. I always made Barbie and baby doll clothes with old socks.

By Myra

Use Your Imagination

Use your imagination! Kids can come up with the most fun ideas - ask THEM! My children, when very small, would love to play like she was folding laundry by playing in the mismatched sock basket.

By smcarney

Deodorize Your Closet

You can fill the sock with soap flakes (which you can make yourself by grating a soap bar), tie it with a nice ribbon and use to deodorize your closet.

By Sigal

Sock Baseball and Other Ideas

I have used socks as hand warmers in the winter. I couldn't find my gloves one very cold morning and use a pair of socks on my hands until my heater got warm.

When I was a youngin long ago a friend of mine's mother made a old sock baseball. It wouldn't go as far as a Wiffle ball but we sure had many great games. The sock balls were all socks. The last sock tied tight around the other socks.

People have been known to stash their extra money in a sock in a sock drawer.

I remember breaking Brazil nuts in clean old socks with the handle of a butter knife.

And if you feel the need to sock someone in the eye. Well please use clean soft socks. To Sock Or Not To Sock Is it a DeFEETING QUESTION. Sock It To Me.

By Mr. Thrifty

Sock Pot Holders

Use to make pot holders by cutting rings and using one of the loop looms. You can buy one at walmart really cheap in the craft section.

By brenda thompson

Reinforce Other Socks

Reinforce the toe before you start wearing the socks. Get inexpensive "boring" socks, cut the toe off and sew it to the novilty sock. Then use the boring sock for the other terrific ideas here.

By dollar out of a dime

Lap Robe or Quilt

If you have knee length, cut them off at the ankle, cut a seam up the back so they lay in flat "squares" and sew them together for a lap robe or a quilt.

By Carla Bledsoe

Heating Pad

Make heating pads to give as gifts. Fill them with rice then sew the top closed and reinforce the bottom seam. Instruct your giftees to heat them in the microwave for 1 minute.

By Mart

Arm Warmers

If they're long socks, like knee socks, cut the toe off (or right above the ankle if they have that weird heel) and cut a small thumbhole to make arm warmers. Sew a small stitch around the thumbhole and the top so it doesn't fray. Shorter socks can be bunched to make a sachel thing to put those smelly dried flowers in.

By Marissa

Cozies

Cut off the foot part, leaving just the part that covers your ankle or calf (I don't know what style of socks you wear!). Use this "tube" you have left, with all the cute kitties, etc (my favorites have frogs on them) as "cozies" for bottles and glasses -- keeps your cold drinks cold and your hot drinks hot!

By Becki in Indiana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cut a finger of a not used or too small glove and make a funny face out of it! Great for children to play with and keep collecting them, get your friends round and make a play out of the finger puppets!

Truely recommended!

Supplies

1 puffball

2 eyes

1 felt noes

4 buttons

Fabric to make a scarf

marbles

1. Get a mens sock.

2.Pour 1 inch of marbles into sock.

3. Stuff the Sock with 6 1/2 INCHES of (old rags old shirts or cotton balls

4. Then put a rubber band or a string to tie

5. then stuff the head. 4 1/2 inches

6. Then pull the extra sock over the head to decorate.

7. Decorate!

8. Makes a great gift!

Use baby socks and turn them into roses. You use a little bit of lace and a wood skewer and you roll the socks and use two sided tape. It makes a great bouquet for a baby's room or just on a table and when you mix them in with plastic flowers it really is pretty.

March 29, 2007 Flag

I want to make a craft called a coin sock, but I am having trouble finding a closure like used on a small coin purse. I hope one of you crafty people out there can help me.

Thanks.
Jean from Columbus, Ohio

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.bagl  /PurseFrames.htm should have what you are looking for. There are other online sources for "purse frames" - you just need to decide what size you want.

I have a manufactured one of these coin socks - and I LOVE IT!

Be sure to post pictures when you complete them!

A couple of years ago my sister bought me a coin sock purse. It is a baby sock with frogs on it (I love frogs), every time I take that out of my pocketbook I get comments on how adorable it is. Hope you can find the parts you are looking for..

Trish

Jean, I have seen what you are looking for at Hobby Lobby. It may not be in the section with purse supplies. It seems to me I saw it in the needlework section.

I have a pattern for a sock bank called "Sock It Away". It is similar, only you make it your self. The sock part holds the money.It is make with 1/4 yrd. stretch knit for sock. The opening is made with a canning jar lid that you stretch the fabric over( from outside to inside). Next you make a stuffed ring shaped animal face to glue over the ring. It uses a ribbon to hang it up. My pattern has a chicken,ckow,pig,bear,bunny and a dog for faces. I made them for my grandchildren for Christmas one year.I have a picture,but am not sure how to send on to thrifty fun. If anyone is interested, I could scan and send you the picture and pattern as well as instructions. My email address is bjptl AT bellsouth.net. Just email me if you are interested.

Judy

ps I just read how to send an image to Thrifty Fun,but couldn't make it work. I'll try and send one directly to them.

January 8, 2015 Flag

What can I make from a red fur Christmas sock with white fur around the top besides little girl purses?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used the red part to make valentine hearts. Or the whole thing to make Christmas gift sacks or cut into triangles for Christmas pendant banners.

September 17, 2012 Flag

I would like some ideas on what to make with socks that have no mate. Craft ideas would be great. Thanks.

By Shirley from Henderson, NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If they are knee socks, you can cut them off at the bend and use them for wine sleeves, leg warmers for kids, or for covering an ugly vase.

Hope that helps. PBP

If you have some spare tube sock of any color or prints you can make "longjohns". You only need 4 socks, thread, and 5 buttons.

July 7, 2007 Flag

Does any one know any great crafts to do with old worn out socks?

Wendy-Lou from Chilcotin, British Columbia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sock-a-mania:

1. ipod case: cut off the foot of the sock and keep the tube. sew the bottom of the tube closed, and fold down the top until the ipod almost can be seen.

2. scarf: use the tube of the sock as a scarf. Either sew multiple tubes together or cut the tube and sew the fabric together for a scarf.

3. bouquet of roses: Attach lace to the bottom of a sock. Roll like a burrito and slide onto a skewer. tape for extra security.

4. cat toy: put catnip in the toe of a sock and tie a ribbon or rubber band around the top to seal it. make sure the bag isn't opened by your lucky feline friend!

5. smell sachet: put your favorite scents into an ankle socks. Tie a ribbon around the top and insert into a smelly place or a closet, mmmm.

6. scrunch: cut an ankle sock into strips. Tie the strips to a thick pony you don't use normally.

7. sock buddy: fill a tube sock with polyfill or cotton balls that are stretched out. Make a knob in the corner of the sock and tie string around it. Repeat on the other bottom corner. go up and mark the middle of the sock and tie two knobs and the rest of the inside stuffing material. then tie the top of the head. draw a face and add hair if you wish.

8. coin purse: Open sock. Add coins. Tie a ribbon on the top and voila!

9. stress ball: roll into a ball and squeeze

10. hand warmers: Microwave and slip over your hands. Ahhhhh...

11. dog toy: slip a rolled sock into another sock's toe and rubberband. To use, throw the toy by the tube of the sock.

12. doll pillow: Stuff other socks into a pretty sock and tie closed. Instant pillw!

13. weights: put heavy rooks into two socks. Use them as anything from dumbbells to balloon weights!

14. burn protector: use the tube of a sock to slide over a hot mug of hot chocolate or coffee.

15. coaster: Put a drink onto a flattened sock to save harmless wooded tables.

16. bookmark: keep your place your favorite book by placing a sock in your place in your book.

17. soapy clean: put slivers of soap from an old soap bar into a thinning sock. Perfect way to clean yourself in the shower.

I use old socks to hold my Christmas ornaments. They help keep them from being scratched & getting broken.

December 6, 2012 Flag

How do I make cupcake baby socks stay secure in cupcake boxes of four?

Thank you.

By Irene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

June 22, 2010 Flag

Turn your baby's or kid's socks that they have grown out of into cute cuddly sock babies. Fill them with soft items. The other use for them is to fill them with dried beans and use them as a doorstop

By Ann from Sussex, UK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

December 7, 2010 Flag

Answers:

Keep Your Shoes Clean When Painting

Keep paint splatters off you shoes by putting old socks over your

shoes. (06/18/2004)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

A Use for Old Socks

I save old socks that have holes in them for use in the garden to

tie up flowers, etc.

By ldslupie (06/18/2004)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

A great idea that I had seen this past week while volunteering at

a Girl Scout day camp was they had used nylon stockings and put a

bar of soap inside of them and tied them to a water jug to use as

a handwashing station. (06/21/2004)

By Tawnda

Uses for Old Socks

Got a little one crawling? Cut the toes of the socks off and

slide over your little ones knees for extra protection during

crawling and playing. (06/22/2004)

By Nicole

Uses for Old Socks

I have a couple suggestions:

1. You can easily turn an old sock into very creative clothing

for dolls (such as a Barbie doll), by cutting the toe-part off

and just getting a lil creative.

2. You can make a very festive puppet, the one I made was a

reindeer for Christmas.

You simply stuff the sock with fluff or anything really, and

then tie an elastic around the opening, then glue the front part

of the sock down so it looks like a head and a neck. The rest you

can leave to your imagination, be creative! (This is also a fun

project for kids to work on!) (08/18/2004)

By Mandy

Uses for Old Socks

You can cut the tops off and then cut them down the back or

bottom open them out and they make great dish rags or what ever.

I haven't bought a dish rag in several years. If they get really

ucky I throw them out. I always have plenty of old socks.

(08/19/2004)

By Judi

Uses for Old Socks

Here's a use for unmated socks. Make shoe fresheners. Fill the

sock with kitty litter (make to absorb odor and wetness), sew or

rubberband the top, and place into shoe. Shoes should be fresher

and drier in a few hours. (08/20/2004)

By Cheryl from MO

Saving Old Socks for Dusting

When doing laundry, I pull out any socks with holes or that are

stretched out and put them in the rag bag. When dusting, socks

work great to get into the little crevices. Just put it on your

hand to do the dusting. When done I just toss it or rewash it.

There is never a short supply of socks in the rag bag.

By Amy (10/15/2004)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

Another idea for dusting with socks. Slip a sock, turned inside

out (so the loops show and catches more dust), over the end of a

yardstick. Now you can reach those cobwebs on the ceiling and in

the corners. It's up to you if you want to wash it or trash it

when you're done. (10/16/2004)

By Cheryl from MO

Uses for Old Socks

Make dishrags. My favorite dishrags are from old socks. Here's

how: Uses 2 socks. Cut off the toes. Cut each in half

lengthwise. Turn one around so the cuff of one sock is aligned

with the bottom portion of the other. This makes a nicer cloth

that way and people can't readily tell it's socks you're washing

your dishes with. Sew them together. Now, sew across the bumps

the heels make and cut away that extra fabric, making it flat.

Zig-zag around the edges. This takes only 10 minutes and you

have a nice wash cloth. (10/18/2004)

By Jayne

Uses for Old Socks

Make a soap-holding washcloth for the shower. Cut 2 old socks in

half lengthwise, sew them together. Using 2 socks gives you more

fabric for a nicer washcloth. Now sew up 3 sides to make a

"bag". Sew almost all the 4th side too, leaving an opening just

big enough to put small pieces of soaps inside. Turn right side

out. Sew an old shoelace (cut off the ends or they'll scratch

you) or use a piece of trim sewn to the top so you can cinch it

together after you put soap into the bag. Insert soap, tie it

up, and use. (10/18/2004)

By Jayne

Uses for Old Socks

Old socks make great beanbags and are easy to make. Or you can

stuff them with scrap fabric for a softer, indoor bean bag game.

(10/18/2004)

By Jayne

Uses for Old Socks

Very silly ghost toys. Stuff an old white sock, draw or

embroider a scary face on it. These are perfect for scaring

people, hahahaha!
(10/18/2004)

By Jayne

Uses for Old Socks

Hand warmers. Cut the toes off, cut a slit for your thumbs, and

you have an impromptu pair of fingerless mittens for keeping your

hands warm while you write letters, study, type, or do housework.

(10/18/2004)

By profile=thr291382">Jayne

Uses for Old Socks

I tied three of my husband's old socks together and made a great

toy for our dogs. :) (11/05/2004)

By profile=thr586552">glomax56

Uses for Old Socks

I use old socks to put a bun in my hair. Cut the toe part off

and roll the sock to form a donut. Place it over my ponytail and

cover the sock with my ponytail. (12/09/2004)

By Jewels

Old Socks To The Rescue

Do not throw your old socks away. Save them as they make

effective bandages for hard-to-dress areas on horses' (and dogs')

legs.

By joesgirl (01/01/2005)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

1. I take the socks and cut them into 1/2 in pieces, this gives

me a small tube. I then take them and make pot holders by weaving

them together using a loom made of nails and boards forming a

square.

2. Take those same pot holders stitch them together and make a

rug for in front of your sink or stove.

3. Take same pot holders and stitch one to each side of one pot

holder, fold all towards each other and make a basket.

Decorate each with RIT dye for brite colors as most socks are

cotton and most food dyes will wash out or leave a pale color.

You may even try doing a tie dye look for fun.
(01/02/2005)

By profile=thr330442">sally97128

Another Use For Old Socks

Cut off the cuff of sock and turn inside out. Sew across bottom

and turn right side out. Slip over your Crisco oil or other

vegetable oil bottle in your cabinets and keeps from getting oily

spots in your cabinets.

By Georgia (01/12/2005)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

For those of you who give their dogs plastic soda bottles to chew

on, here's another idea for your old socks and pop bottles. Take

one plastic pop bottle (about 20 ounces) and put about 4 or 5

dried beans inside the bottle and put the cap on. Slip this

bottle (cap side up) inside an old adult- sized sock and tie a

knot at the top near the cap. Now give it to your dog for some

chewing fun! This works best with tube socks because they are a

bit longer, but crew socks will also work. Cheap and fun!

Tori (01/12/2005)

By profile=thr516347">truerblue

Uses for Old Socks

I had a pair of knee socks, and I didn't like the up to the knee

feeling. So since Jim needed new cuffs on his work jacket, I cut

off the six inches off the tops of my socks folded them and after

removing the old torn cuffs, I resewed the sock tops onto the

jacket! It really looks like they were meant to be there! He

couldn't believe it. (and I love my socks now) (01/13/2005)

By profile=thr701930">kassi59

Another Use For Old Socks And Unwearable Clothing

I cut down the socks to fit onto my "Swiffer" for washing floors

or dusting. I also use unwearable old clothing (holey shirts,

etc.)

By Kathy (01/13/2005)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

Slip one of those old socks over a yardstick and use it to clean

under your refrigerator. Beats having to move that heavy

appliance. (01/14/2005)

By Bonnie

cozy

Keep an old pair of socks around in case you lose your gloves or

mittens. If the need ever arises slip the sock over your hands.

It may not be stylish, but it will do for the time being.

(01/18/2005)

By Skyler

Using Old Socks

A lady I know cuts the tops off of old socks (that the elastic is

still good) and uses them around her water bottles that she's

partially froze and refilled with water, so her hands don't get

cold.

By Terri H. (05/03/2005)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Uses for Old Socks

Heck, I put the whole sock over my frozen water bottle to keep it

cold longer and as the water freezes the sock absorbs the

wetness.

Ziggee (05/03/2005)

By profile=thr708609">Ziggee

Uses for Old Socks

Old socks make the warmest quilts you'll ever have. Use clean,

stain free socks to make a patchwork quilt. Just cut out usable

portions and sew together until you get the size you want.

This is a wonderful "as you grow" project. Start with your

children's baby socks (or clothes) and each birthday take time

(together) to add that years collection to the quilt. Be sure to

date each sock with the year. By the time they go off to college

or move out on their own, they have a warm quilt and a lifetime

of wonderful memories of time spent with just you. Add your own

socks too, just mark whose is whose.

Add socks from special occasions when possible (even if still

brand new).

Easy, even for people who cannot sew. (07/02/2005)

By profile=thr237324">Becky3501

Uses for Old Socks

You can use them for polishing shoes. Fill them with rice and

microwave them for sore muscles. Use extra long ones as back

scrubbers. Also great for wrist sweat bands and head sweat bands.

(12/26/2005)

fun with kids

Be traditional! Make your old socks into sock puppets. They're

fun! (02/15/2006)

By Dana

dog foot warmers

You could put them on you dog or cat and have them be foot

warmers. (03/24/2006)

By Amanda

make snow men

Divide the sock into 3 parts and fill them up with rice. Put a

pipe cleaner as a nose, buttons for eyes and for coal.

(03/24/2006)

By Hannah

Uses for Old Socks

I happened across an old mop head that opens up to take a long

set of mop strings bound in the center. I laid 6-8 old tube socks

to make a wide rectangle, then sewed down the center to hold them

together. Works great and I can wash it in the washer!

(06/20/2006)

By Gretta

Uses for Old Socks

Sometimes we use them to wash the car and there's enough of them

so everybody can help. (06/21/2006)

Rag Curls

This has been passed down through the women in my family from the

Depression Era. Make "rag curls". Cut socks into small strips.

Take a large or small portion of hair, tie sock strip at the

bottom of the lock of hair, roll up to the scalp, then tie again.

You get very nice, tight, fun curls! Works best when done with

wet hair, and sets overnight. (06/25/2006)

By Cat

Uses for Old Socks

Use ribbing tops of socks to sew on mittens and then they stay

neatly on the child and can tuck under a sweater neatly before

the coat is put on.
(I actually make the mittens first out of old sweaters and then

sew extra long "old sock" cuffs.
If the colours match up it actually can look quite trendy.

(01/25/2007)

By Lin

Uses for Old Socks

Put two tennis balls side by side tightly in the toe of the sock.

Tie the rest of the sock into a tight knot up against the tennis

balls. While in the bed, on the floor or in your recliner, place

the tennis balls under your neck one on each side of your

neckbone. This was suggested to me by my massage therapist and is

great for relieving stress and tightness of the neck. (04/02/2007)

By Skye

Uses for Old Socks

This is a great game for outdoor boy parties and such. It works

best with old nylon men's socks or women's knee highs or even the

toe ends of worn out panty hose. Just fill the toe end of the

sock/stocking with flour and tie up the open end. Make plenty of

these, at least 10 per child. Use a timer and say "Go" when

they are to start. Then they can play army or war and "bomb"

each other and it is very child friendly, low cost, easy to tell

when you have been "tagged" or "bombed" and makes for a fun time

for all. After the timer goes off, they get to count who got hit

the most times and who won! This was such a big hit at a birthday

party for my tween son! They brush themselves off and beg

to play. Again and again! (07/08/2007)

By HungryArtist

Uses for Old Socks

I use them as a throw in front of the door way where air creeps

in. I have one long sock and stuff it with old socks and tie it

at the end, you may to use two stuff sock tied together in order

to make it long enough. You can also use it for your pets to play

with, and it won't cost you a cent. (07/11/2007)

By profile=thr442898">Sam

Uses for Old Socks

• I stuff an old clean sock with Catnip, then twist the area

where the catnip is shut, then wrap the rest of the sock around

this, (inside-out) then twist again, then inside out again and

twist again until I have a "Catnip Ball".

My cat has the best time, rolling this sock-ball around the room

and attacking it!

• You can also fill old socks with body powder and tie them

shut to make your own "Powder Puffs".

• Use the cuffs of colored fancy socks for ribbing when sewing.

• Fill toe of old sock with salt and wipe this on bathroom

mirrors to keep them from fogging up.

• Can you find a better thing to clean or polish with? I think

not!

• Sock Dolls, we all remember these! (07/11/2007)

By profile=thr319748">Cyinda

Uses for Old Socks

Pour one cup of uncooked rice into the toe of a sock (make sure

there is no hole in the toe). Tie the sock off above the rice.

Voila! You have a therapy rice bag. Heat it in the microwave for

20-30 seconds, and then use the warm bag on sore muscles, aching

joints, painful sinuses, whatever. Make sure that you use a

tighter knit sock, not a loose one that the rice grains will fall

through. You can add some dried herbs before tying a knot so that

you have a scented rice bag, peppermint for relaxation, sage for

headaches, rosemary because it smells so nice. (07/14/2007)

By profile=thr248226">teachpad

Uses for Old Socks

Comment: I've never enjoyed any posting more than this one. Way

to go everyone. I have a tub of mismatched socks right now I can

hardly wait to "play" with. Thanks (09/13/2007)

By Barbara

sock bun

Very cool idea, I don't have long hair and I never wear a bun,

but that is clever. (07/08/2008)

By Lisa

Uses for Old Socks

Make an iPod holder, works well with those real cool socks that

you just can't seem to throw out. (07/28/2008)

By Kamlin

Uses for Old Socks

Old socks filled with beans or rice and closed with a tight knot

are a one-minute, no-money, effective solution to craft your own

photographic bean bag yourself quite easily.
A bean bag is basically a compact cradle for your camera to rest

on and do not shake while shooting photographs: it is very handy

when you cannot carry a tripod with you.
You can find a bit more about photo bean bags and how to craft

one starting at the link below:
http://www.kirpi.it/r/topic/fireworks#post-143
(10/21/2009)

By profile=thr112674">kirpi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 19, 2012
Making a Sock Puppet
Making a Sock Puppet
White socks with a beaded trim.
Beaded Socks
Sock Cupcake with Cherry on top
Making a Sock Cupcake
Homemade sock snowman.
Making a Sock Snowman
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 3:22:03 AM on 10.0.1.120 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.