Making Yarn from Socks

Category Other
This is a guide about making yarn from socks. Before you throw out those old socks, consider reusing them as yarn for new projects. Not only are you keeping items out of the garbage, you are creating something unique and frugal.

Never throw anything away that can be recycled. For socks, I cut the toe off and cut the sock in circles about an inch wide. You can interlace them, roll them into a ball, and use them as you would use crochet cord; making whatever you want - rugs, slippers, even throws.

I also interweave the circles around my fingers in a way that makes long strips that you can sew together and make animal beds, which I have done. They make nice soft thick beds or rugs for animals and humans.

You can crochet anything from your ball of "sock yarn", as I like to call it, it just won't all be one color, but you will have a colorful article when you make your items. Good luck with your socks of many colors.

By Peggy from Tunkhannock, PA

That is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!