Cooking TipsFood Tips

Spicing Up Rice

I am trying to eat more rice (both brown and white), but even after adding onion, garlic and onion power and Frank's Hot Sauce, it is very bland. Any suggestions as how to spice it up? Thanks in advance.

JoanDogs from MA

I add a bag of frozen veggies, some chopped up chicken breast, and some stir fry sauce (I think it's Kikkoman brand). Yum!

Anonymous

Hi, I like to cook white rice and add asplash of milk and some brown (or even white ) sugar. My kids enjoy it after being outside in the cold or sometimes as breakfast with some fruit in it. Try it!

instead of using water to cook it with, use chicken broth or beef broth.

serve it with gravy instead of mashed potatoes.

use your favorite salsa as the liquid to cook with to make spanish rice.

serve with stir fry.

use it in fritatas/fancy omelette.

rice pudding.

add it to stews or soups.

add to baked custard with a lot of lemon or nutmeg.

serve with beans like in the south

try recipes from india or asia where it is a staple

A little bit of salsa tossed into the cooked rice goes a long way.

I make wraps using cooked rice tossed with salsa, some cooked chicken and a bit of grated cheese.

Make the wrap with both ends closed, cut in the middle and then put under the broiler until lightly toasted. Serve with Sour Cream and/or some salsa on the side.

It is delicious!!!!

Hi-

Have you tried wild rice? It's got a more nutty flavor. Aside from rice, what other types of food do you like? Have you tried making some curries? They are so yummy, and although relatively high in fat because of the coconut milk, everything is great in moderation:)

Have you tried putting some cheese on hot rice?

Furikake? (Japanese flavoring: nori, sesame seeds, salt).

Beans and cilantro with lime on rice is great too!

I would definitely say that brown and wild have more flavor than white rice does.

Tiana: I like all the foods that I can't eat due to allergies. Have tried cheese on it and that helps. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to many foods [who else could be allergic to lettuce, potatoes mostly things that grow in the ground, but several that grow above ground! Will try adding wild rice to the brown rice. JoanDogs

Robie: Have just bought a jar of salsa and will try it this week. I have added cut up chicken breast and Italian seasonings to the rice and it really did help overcome the blandness. Thanks so much. JoanDogs

Thanks to everyone sharing their ideas on spicing up rice. Have several ideas, just have to finish the pot of rice and 'a little bit of this and that' first! JoanDogs

Rice is good in soups, even chicken noodle. I love homemade chicken soup with brown and wild rice.

For years as a kid I thought everyone ate rice with raisens, sugar, cinnamon and milk. (We had it for dessert.) Rice with raisens and nuts is good too.

Many times I will use it in casseroles instead of noodles or macaroni.

Cream of mushroom or chicken soup over the rice is a yummy side dish, or add meat or tuna.

It is great in stuffed peppers with hamburger, seasonings and chopped bits of veggies.

The various seasoning packets that are included in the Ramen noodle varieties add incredible flavor to bland foods like rice and pasta. They're so inexpensive (several packages for $1.00) that it would be fun and easy to experiment. Good luck!

Also, powered parmesan cheese is delicious in rice.

No one has mentioned Oriental fried rice. Whenever I cook rice, I always make extra just so I can make this. You can make it pretty plain, add veggies, or add veggies and leftover meat too. I can eat a big bowl alone for a meal. And if you don't like spices that you throw in yourself, there are plenty of seasoning packets at the store (for convenience if nothing else).

When you cook the rice, add boullion cubes to the water. Then you can add your onion or whatever to have the basis for a rice pilaf. I like to add peas, but really anything is good in this concoction.

For a creamier rice, try adding a can of creamy condensed soup. Cream of celery, mushroom, or chicken are good for this purpose. You dont need to add extra water, but you can add an additional half can of water if you like.

Good luck!

WE LIKE TO BROWN SOME HAMBURGER,ADD A FEW CHOPPED GREEN PEPPERS AND SOME TOMATO SAUCE TO OURS PUT IT IN THE OVEN FOR ABOUT 25-30 MINUTES. IT'S OUR VERSION OF "UN"STUFFED PEPPERS

Aside from whatever else you add, you can also add a tablespoon or two of dry ranch dressing powder. That flavors it also. Also, I'd add some Mrs. Dash herbs, as herbs can increase the flavor as well.

Hi, I make up a pan of stirfry and serve brown rice with it. Brown rice is better for you than white. Brown rice has more fiber in it. Best of luck!!

All the suggestions thus far have been excellent. You might try starting out with Jasmine rice. It takes 1 rice to 1 1/2 water. anything else you add to the water for flavor is up to you. It is a lovely aromatic rice, subtle, but good on its own. Happy munching : )

I make "cheesy rice" by adding a little (1/4 cup?) milk and a couple slices of american cheese to cooked white rice, stirring over heat until melted and mixed. not the healthiest choice but sure makes a yummy side dish treat!

Also cook with chicken broth, butter and garlic as a substitute for the pasta in shrimp or chicken scampi.

I pretty much eat rice plain with a little bit of butter and salt, but I've recently gotten into jasmine rice too. It is so fragrant and has a slightly different taste. I have gotten hooked on it! Try it!