Using Bleach in a Small Wading Pool

Many years ago, I added bleach to our kids' wading pool to keep the water from going "bad". Now my daughter would like to do the same with my 4-year old grandson's small wading pool. I don't remember the measurements? Would anyone know? Thanks.

By mkymlp

My hubby has a pool cleaning business and he said if its one of the little blue pools like from Walmart no more than 2 cups of the regular store bleach added to it. Basically 1 cup per 100 gallons.

Please use approved pool chlorine and not chlorine bleach. I know chlorine bleach is less expensive and people think that they both work the same but that's not true because it does not have the exact same chemical compounds as chlorine made for use in pools. There have been recent studies that show soaking in chlorine bleach can cause a myriad of internal diseases and decades of studies show that lung damage can occur from breathing in chlorine bleach fumes.

I worked in a chemical plant and we made bleach as a by product. To make bleach you take a tank of 50% liquid caustic and bubble pure chlorine gas through it. Bleach is the result. So in short. You are adding caustic every time you add bleach. This is not the safest way to add chlorine in my opinion.

There was a recent medical study on eczema in children that showed that adding a teaspoon of household bleach to their bath water reduced their eczema. They think some eczema is caused by airborne staph bacteria.

Just a little would seem best. You can always add a little more to the pool.

The eczema study was one short term study of about three dozen children in 2009 and reported in a journal of pediatrics. The baths were done in conjunction with using antibiotics and/or steroids. Here's a short article with a bit more detail and some warnings:

Install the free android app pool pal. Enter your pools gallons and get a test kit. Flawless. I use it with a 380 gallon pool.

boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pools and Hot TubsJuly 1, 2011
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Patio garden using child's pool and barrel
Uses for Wading Pools