Uses for Wading Pools

Category Reusing
Once that wading pool is no longer of use for the kids, it can be repurposed in many different ways. This guide is about uses for wading pools.

My grandchildren out-grew their little pool, I didn't want to throw it away so I made a small vegetable garden out of it. I am disabled and I can pull my lawn chair up to the pool and work in it. Best of all, I never had any weeds in it all year.

After the Spring and Summer veggies. I just planted some green peas and bush beans for Fall. They were wonderful.

By Sharon from Van Buren, Arkansas

Top Comment

What a great use of an otherwise useless item! Wonder how many of these go to the landfills every year.

Top Comment

I absolutely love your idea. I buy one of those every year and hate throwing it away, now I don't have to. I can use one and then each next year pass along a micro garden to someone else. You know this would be great for people with disabilities. I mean they are small, you could put it up on a picnic table and it would be at higher level for them. Great idea. Thank you

Top Comment

I did this last year. I put tomato plants in it. It did good! I had used it the year before for my ducks and geese and a big tree limb fell in it and pierced it during a late summer storm. So I already had drainage in it too!

Top Comment

What a wonderful idea! This is also a good idea for those who have poor soil and can't garden "as is" and for those who rent and don't want to dig up their landlord's property. Plus the fact that you were able to recycle. Good for you!

Top Comment

Wonderful, what a winning tip! Love the recycle, reuse aspect and the veggies and the fun you can have doing the garden.

Thank you so much for sharing. I will proudly do this in Spring!

Top Comment

Great job, Mom #2! (this is her daughter-in-law) lol. I will be doing a few of these this year too. Miracle-Gro has come out with an Organic potting/garden soil I am going to use.

Top Comment

What a terrific idea! We have one of the plastic pools we had for the grand kids but they have since outgrown it and it just sets in a corner in the yard. Now I can put it to good use and even get the grandsons involved the next time they come, we can plant a garden. The other one, age 8, has a little patch of his own at home and is so proud of the carrots and squash he just harvested. Thanks for a great idea to recycle!

I want to share how our family utilized a small place to set out food at our family reunion! We have a large family so we needed all the room we could get! The kitchen area only had a 3 foot wide cement counter so that's where all the food had to be placed. We used 2 children's small swimming pools that we purchased at Walmart, I think it was $4.88 each.

We just arranged the bowls and poured ice around it, We were under a pavilion and the food stayed cold all afternoon! Clean up is easy. Remove the bowls and dump the ice. Save the pools for future parties or reunions! Unless the kids claim them. Everyone said "Wow, who thought of this?" Sure helped put a lot of food in a small area.

By Ariela from Michigan

When cooking and serving out-of-doors, pick up one of those cheap, rigid plastic kiddy pools, fill it with ice, and set bowls of cold foods in the ice. You can also keep cans of juice or soda pop in the pool. We've been using this method for keeping foods cold when we're cooking outside and on picnics for over 40 years and have never lost a potato salad yet.

If it's a big party, by all means use 2 pools, one for drinks and one for foods. I think they take up less room than all the bowls and containers sitting out too.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

If the plastic wading pool is in good condition, take it to your local animal shelter. They use them to cool off dogs and give them a little recreation and a break from their cage.

Source: My local animal shelter

We keep ours full of water outside for our two dogs. They can have plenty to drink and even get in if they want to stay cool :)

At the end of the summer, when your hard plastic wading pool develops a crack, turn it into a sand box. Add more cracks or holes in the bottom for drainage and add sand.

Vickie

There's just some things that you have always done and forget that it could be a tip to someone else!

This is a guide about using a child's swimming pool as a garden. Whether you use an old damaged one or purchase a new one, a child's pool can be used as a container garden or a place to start seedlings.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

A large hard plastic baby pool makes a great container for cleaning up leaves and yard debris. Punch 2 holes in the side and run a rope through to make a handle so you can drag it around.

This tip needs a small to medium child's wading pool, either new or used. You can reuse the pool as a leaf or garden disposing vehicle. It can carry a multitude of garden or lawn refuse and will not leave wheel marks on your lawn. It is so easy to pull toward that compost area and is easily dumped.

Drill two holes the diameter size of a piece of rope on the side rim of the pool. I use 10 to 12 feet of nylon rope as it is strong as a pulling handle and a washer on either side of the inserted rope hole to keep plastic strong. Knot the rope on the inside of the pool to provide a pulling handle. Drill a few small holes in pool for drainage if you leave the pool outside.

A great useful idea to recycle a plastic wading pool.

By Edna from West Bath, Maine

Answers:

Wading Pool For Yard Waste

This works really great and I've had mine in use for at least 5 yrs.
The pool is very strong and easy to handle. This was an original idea from Edna many years ago. (01/12/2007)

By MS P

Wading Pool For Yard Waste

USE THE WADING POOL AS IS to fertilize all your pot plants of similar size AT THE SAME TIME> Just mix up a large batch of fertilizer/water in the pool, mixing well, then set all the plants in the pool for several hours. The water/fert. mix level will go down drastically as the plants all get their feeding as they sit, while you have washed the patio, raked leaves, and taken a rest.

I got this idea from an old gardener selling his plants at a flea market once. It works VERY well for many plants at a time. Save any leftovers in a few plastic gallon jugs in a cool place or garage until next time needed, noting how much NOT to make the next time you begin to make up the mix. God bless those wading pools. (01/27/2007)

By Lynda