Packaging Ideas for Keeping Homebaked Bread Fresh

My husband will be going to Iceland in July, 2011 on a mission trip. I am a bread baker and would love to send the missionaries a loaf of bread, as a token of my appreciation for their missionary work. Also, I have baked bread and sold it to defray the costs of the trip for my husband. I have probably raised over $400.00 selling bread at our church.

I need a bread package that I could put into my husband's suitcase to keep the bread fresh.

Any ideas?

By JOSE from Collierville, TN

You might want to consider purchasing a bread keeper plastic box (Container Store comes to mind). It could be re-used.

Before he goes try this, take a loaf of bread after cooled etc. and place it in a brown paper bag then place the paper bag in a plastic bag. If it gets hot in his suitcase then it won't sweat, or wrap it in parchment paper then plastic, though with customs and other countries it might not make it through them with airline new rules. You'll at least be able to find out how long you can store it in the suit case if you do all of it with one loaf in advance. Hope this helps.

You may want to try using Dough Enhancer in your recipe. It is a natural preservative which will keep your bread from molding so quickly. Just Google it. I'm sure you'll find many sources for it. Good luck! I'm sure you're husband will love having some of his wife's home made bread while he's away. :-)

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadJune 13, 2011
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale