How to Host a Book Club for Seniors
Want to volunteer with an activity that really makes a difference? Offer to become a book club leader at your local senior center or assisted living facility. Many seniors can be limited in their physical movements, but still crave an activity that will engage their minds. Book clubs provide a place to discuss ideas and exchange opinions as well as generate enthusiasm for reading as an enjoyable pastime.
Here are some ideas to organize a book club for seniors.
- Select a host for the club, or take turns choosing a book title and discussion leader. Select a genre - classic literature, detective novels, popular fiction, etc. Seniors may enjoy discussing history, authors who research and write about pre-and post-World War II, and art, culture and politics relating to mid-century Americana, for instance.
- Keep it simple by choosing a book with reading guides that facilitate discussion. The group leader can offer to purchase books or order them online.
- Plan to meet once a month for 1-1/2 hours to allow everyone time to read the selection beforehand. Limit the number attending to no more than twelve so that everyone can share in the discussion.
- Supply snacks, but limit alcohol or the club may turn into a cocktail hour instead of a discussion group
- If a selection turns out to be a favorite, consider reading other books by the same author. If the book being discussed is also a movie, the group can plan an outing to see the movie or rent the DVD to watch for a movie night.
About The Author: An Arizona freelance writer for the past decade, Claire is a regular contributor to the Arizona Republic's business, career builder and community sections and is also the author of a statewide restaurant guide, "Dining in Arizona - 101 Great Places to Eat" Claire has co-authored several cookbooks and is now a working chef and menu designer in Sun City, AZ.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 23, 2017 at 10:00:23 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us