Hosting a Senior Book Club
A book club is a great way for people who enjoy reading to get together and share their opinions on a variety of books chosen by the members or host. This is a guide about hosting a senior book club
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Claire Bush0 found this helpful
October 14, 2008
How to Host a Book Club for Seniors
Want to volunteer with an activity that really makes a difference? Offer to become a book club leader at your local senior center or assisted living facility. Many seniors can be limited in their physical movements, but still crave an activity that will engage their minds. Book clubs provide a place to discuss ideas and exchange opinions as well as generate enthusiasm for reading as an enjoyable pastime.
Here are some ideas to organize a book club for seniors.
- Select a host for the club, or take turns choosing a book title and discussion leader. Select a genre - classic literature, detective novels, popular fiction, etc. Seniors may enjoy discussing history, authors who research and write about pre-and post-World War II, and art, culture and politics relating to mid-century Americana, for instance.
- Keep it simple by choosing a book with reading guides that facilitate discussion. The group leader can offer to purchase books or order them online.
- Plan to meet once a month for 1-1/2 hours to allow everyone time to read the selection beforehand. Limit the number attending to no more than twelve so that everyone can share in the discussion.
- Supply snacks, but limit alcohol or the club may turn into a cocktail hour instead of a discussion group
- If a selection turns out to be a favorite, consider reading other books by the same author. If the book being discussed is also a movie, the group can plan an outing to see the movie or rent the DVD to watch for a movie night.
December 14, 20170 found this helpful
Looking into this as a library program. Lots of assisted living and subsidized housing for seniors have beautiful activity rooms available. Libraries have free conference rooms that are available to reserve.