Rabbit Ate My Burning Bush

I just noticed that the rabbits did quite a number on all my burning bushes this winter. They have pruned them down quite a bit. Will this affect their growth this summer? Or doesn't it matter?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Vicki from Hannibal, NY

If the trimming was mainly on the ends of branches towards middle, bush will probably be fuller. If they took off whole branches in uneven manner, hard to say. Pruning often encourages growth.

March 14, 2010 Flag

A rabbit ate my Burning Bush down to nothing. Will it grow again?

By Aliciadiane from Buffalo, NY

Rabbit Ate My Burning Bush

Yes, it should grow back again, unless you planted it just this year. Give it plenty of water and wait. If you don't want a repeat of it, you will have to surround it with a fence. I have to do that with my veggie garden or they eat everything that comes up. (04/23/2009)

By Laniegirl

Rabbit Ate My Burning Bush

I know all about that. For the first few years I had to keep chicken wire around mine until they were established and sturdy enough to put up with the rabbits. Every winter the rabbits prune them, and chew quite a bit of bark off of them, but they always have survived. At least so far. (04/23/2009)

By Beth

Rabbit Ate My Burning Bush

If and when it comes back try sprinkling the plant with ground chili peppers, not on a windy day, if they take a bite it will probably be there last. (04/27/2009)

By bridget not gidget

Burning bush, fall foliage.
Growing a Burning Bush
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 14, 2010
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush