Burning Bush Losing Its Leaves

Category Plant Health
Leaves on a Burning Bush will turn red before the drop in the Autumn, sometimes earlier than other trees and shrubs. If your burning bush losing its leaves prematurely, it may be a sign of stress on the plant and require assistance.

I have 5 burning bushes which have finally started to grow and have beautiful foliage in the summer. In late summer/early fall when they should start to turn and become that beautiful red the leaves all fall off of them. Can you tell me what the problem possibly could be and how to care for them?

Thank you.

By Peggy

Answers

Best Answer

What growing zone are you in? You may have a variety that isn't suited to your climate and drops its leaves too early.

Half of my burning bushes have lost their leaves and look dead but they are not. What can I do? I take care of them for a lady and she is upset about this. This is their 2nd year and they are still green, they did not change colors. I have a row of about 20. Thanks.

J. Wilson

Answers

Best Answer

Where are you located? In Iowa, I have noticed that the burning bush looses its leaves a bit before other shrubs may loose theirs. Same is true for the wahoo, also a member of the euonymus family. They come on again in the spring and just shed a bit early.

What is causing my burning bush leaves to fall off?

Jerry from St. Louis, Missouri

Answers:

Burning Bush Losing Its Leaves

Have you had really hot weather lately?
Is it getting enough moisture?
Here in PA, it's been HOT. It's 90 today and my burning bush is fine. Nice and green yet. (06/18/2007)

By healthaidefrog1959

Burning Bush Losing Its Leaves

Two of mine did this last year. They suffered heat shock because I was out of town for 10 days and we had hot weather and no water. They rebounded fine this year. (05/21/2008)

By Jason

My burning bush is losing leaves. Any advice?

Les

Answers:

Burning Bush Losing Its Leaves

It is either too hot temperatures OR your area has not been receiving enough rain. Try watering it every day for a while. See if it perks up a little.

Here in Tennessee, even though we have had some rain lately, we are still below the amount of rain that is needed.

You can also call your County Extension Agent about this. They have so much knowledge of your specific area, and what to do for the plants.
There are County Extension Agents in every area, even if you live in a large city that is not considered an agricultural area. (07/29/2008)

By Barb in Tennessee

Burning Bush Losing Its Leaves

Mine does the same thing last year was the Japanese beetles and hot weather and not enough rain. But still, Praise the Lord, it still comes back. Love that thing. (07/30/2008)

By Barbara J S