Browsing: Getting Rid of Bees

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

How do I get rid of bumble bees and their nests without getting stung? I am highly allergic to bee stings.

By Debra from Nahunta, GA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Call the beekeeper. Look in the yellow pages for a number. He will trap the queen and the drones will follow. Ask for a price up front. It shouldn't be very much.

Bees are on the decline in the U.S. and if you can learn to live in harmony with the bees, you will be doing a wonderful thing. All bees pollinate our food supply and are very important to our very existence!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/bee-friendly-landscaping.html

People who are allergic to bee stings can die from a sting. In that case the person has to take drastic action. Call an exterminator. They may be able to remove the bees without harming them. As for the bee stings, there is an allergy shot taken for a year that will immunize you against the stings. My grandson was fatally allergic to them and was told one more sting would kill him. He took the series of shots, was tested and is now immune. You should at least carry an eppi pen (from the Dr.) until the situation is taken care of. This is a serious matter.

Around here, we have some bees that build nests and look like bumblebees, but are a type of carpenter bee. They are mean and aggressive. I've been attacked by them and have the medical bills to prove it. Call someone to get rid of them, it is so worth the cost.

I grew up around bees, am not afraid of them, and have never had a problem after being stung. These are not only vicious, but have a really bad sting. I was hospitalized with a horrific reaction. I didn't get out of bed for over a week. It literally took me months to fully recover.

Bumble bees are not very aggressive, but if you are allergic, I suggest you call someone to see what can be done about these bees. Honey bees are a protected species, and beekeepers will come and take them away. If you live in a city or town, call the town office and see what they suggest. Where are these nests? If you are dealing with hornets or wasps, you have a much bigger problem because they can be aggressive. Since you are allergic, I would suggest you get someone else to deal with these insects.

August 14, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of bumble bees? They are drilling holes in my porch. Can anyone help me before they demolish it. Thanks.

By Lynn B. from Big Stone Gap, VA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

They are not bumble bees. This was posted a few days ago and it tells in the reply post to it what they are and what sprays to use to kill them. They are a constant aggravation and are called carpenter bees that eat through wood.

thriftyfun.com (05/16/2009)

By theseamstress

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

This happened to my adult son's duplex (only with yellow jackets) and his roommate sprayed pepper-spray into the holes and the yellow-jackets left. Watch out! if the wind blows the wrong way, you'll get an eye or a face full of this dangerous stuff. Make sure all kids and pets are in the house and there's no wind at all!

* A second (less toxic) idea: Try covering the holes and the surrounding area with high quality duct tape (not from the dollar store) and see if this discourages them. The barrier and the smell from the duct tape might drive them away. (05/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

I think you have carpenter bees, which make tunnels in the wood and raise their babies in them. I've had them making holes in the porch beams of my house for years. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and can't use any pesticides, but finally got my son to get some borate and spray the holes and beams with that. Seems to be working. Try googling "carpenter bee" for info. Good luck. (05/22/2009)

By Jean and Maggie

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

What you have are carpenter bees. They will also eat holes in screening. I saw a post earlier this week, also in Thriftyfun I think, that recommends putting a penny in a clear plastic bag filled w/water and hanging several of these around the area the bees are attracted to. It's suppose to make them think it is a spider, and they want to avoid spiders. I have since hung some up, and I think it is working! It's an inexpensive solution that is certainly worth a try. (05/22/2009)

By Tripleb

May 15, 2009 Flag

How can I get rid of a colony of big, bumbling bees that have invaded our porch between the ceiling and roof?

Fritz from Bivalve, MD

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

You may want to rethink getting rid of the bumble bee's if you have flowers and/or vegetables in your yard. It's the bumble bee which pollinates and makes your vegetables grow. Without them it's a waste of time. (05/28/2006)

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

You probably have wood bees. They will drill holes in your wood and hollow it out in time. One tried and true method is to get a badminton racket and whack them with it. (05/29/2006)

By Aunt Sharon from Texas

Getting Rid of Bumble Bees

Get professional pest controllers in. This is what we had to do when bees decided to move in next to our back door. (06/02/2006)

bumblebee
Getting Rid of Bees
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsAugust 14, 2010
Carpenter bee drilling into wood.
Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees
Repelling Hornets, Bumble Bees, and Wasps
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
Bumble Bee on a flower.
Getting Rid of Underground Bumble Bee Nest
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 11:13:29 PM on 10.0.2.26 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.